Agnostic.com

32 10

Another f@!king mass shooting here in America! At least 17 dead, 23 injured. What would it take to pass some sensible gun regulation?! Republicans say that’s not the issue. Then, please tell me, what exactly is the issue?? Why does the US have so many more shootings than any other industrialized nation in the world?

Jesusluvsu 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@pooska (do you know that in Czech puska is a rifle?) Anyway, be happy that most people have guns and a lot of ammo. The civil war will surely happen at some point and you will need to protect yourself. The hungry cops will be just as eager to rob you as the hordes of hungry. Taxing our toilet paper will not help the climate change.
The [problem is liberals. Parents lost control; over children, They are not allowed to kick their as for misbehaving. Consequently children lost respect for teachers and their teachers are subject of collusion between our rulers and religion.
The country is sucked dry by a cockroach group (1.42 MILLIONS! of roaches in N America, the politicians, the clergy and the bankers). This corruption is the main reason for unreal prices of drugs, hospital, insurance, all manufactured goods. Factories are manufacturing in Asia because here the roaches extort them.
Study achievements of China. In last few years they executed 10000 corrupted politicians and they used their parts to help other people while we burn completely good parts with garbage. We recycle criminals who have more rights then their victims. Liberals do it so we are scared, call for more police, more regulations. Our elected criminals in congress refuse to make sensible immigration laws and laws that exist they ignore. I could give more examples. We are doomed. My daughter is learning now at school mandarin. Started after I got miffed that school announcements started coming in Arabic. Sad.
China is the only country willing to face the human species breeding like rats. We need to applaud. Would I want to be Chinese?? Of course not. I am not Borg in the "collective" or an ant in the ant hill. But I was in China several times and I cannot ignore the fact that we lost. They are the next rulers of the world. We lost ability to believe in ourselves, we will wait what liberals will give us from what they stole elsewhere. So very sad.

Never happen. At least not in my lifetime. The mythology of "The Gunfighter Nation" is too ingrained in our collective psyche.

Because we have more mentally I'll people running around without access to mental healthcare than any other industrialized nation.

Easy access to firearms and insufficient regulation, obviously. But there's something deeper about the mentality of a certain segment of the US population.

One thing I found incredibly telling was a press snippet from a manufacturer of 'bump stocks.' If that needs any explanation, it's the device that the Las Vegas shooter used to turn some of his semi-automatic weapons into effectively fully automatic ones.

On this news hitting the press, the manufacturer was swamped with demand for their product to the point where they couldn't keep up. When enough people to wipe out a company's entire inventory look at 58 dead and are less interested in the loss of life than in the idea of an accessory that can turn a gun they are allowed to own into one they normally wouldn't be, that's your problem, right there.

Ultimately, human life has different value in different societies. In most civilised Western societies, that value is high. Go to other (for example, certain African or Middle Eastern) countries and the value of human life is much lower. Not to us, but to them. The US seems to have a split personality over this. On the one hand, it doesn't value human life highly enough to stop people going round shooting each other on a whim. At the same time, it reacts to every mass shooting (defined as 3 or more fatalities, I think) as though it has never felt pain like this before.

because they're the idiot nation of the world 'thoughts and prayers' will sort it......

I am truly sorry to hear this.

I think there might be a large correlation between our religiousness and mass shootings.

Look at tv and all the police shows, next the movies and again the action movies. Our children are just introduced to this stuff over and over again and they do not realize that guns kill and that it isn't like in the movies and tv. Next we let the stupid NRA do it's thing. I am a gun owner who would vote for stricter gun laws any day. How ever the laws should be proposed by the gun owners because those who are not owners themselves put stupid laws into effect not knowing what really works,. Magzine size yes,carry permits yes,background checks yes, domestic violence remove weapons yes, Waiting period to purchase guns yes,

Hmmm - seems to be something very wrong in the US. Its as though people think that the second amendment is Gospel, and can't be changed.

"More Americans have died from gunshots in the last 50 years than in all of the wars in American history.

Since 1968, more than 1.5 million Americans have died in gun-related incidents, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By comparison, approximately 1.2 million service members have been killed in every war in U.S. history,"

[nbcnews.com]

There so lacking in gun regulations and aren't willing to change them for the common man. gun sales go up when this happens and that suits them as they don't really give a fuck.

it suits the people getting the money. I mean look at the last shooting in las vagus, a gun-rich state. I don't believe anyone in the crowd returned fire and what would have happened if they had? how did owing guns help anyone? why the fuck can you buy things like machine guns and bigger. surely all you need for home protection is a pistol or better still a tazer and a dog or alarm and good secure locks.

@LeighShelton I read an interview with one of the bodyguards of the performer and he said that they were armed but couldn't fire back because they did not initially realize where the shots were coming from and because they knew the cops would be looking for people with guns.

no doubt and part of my point about being armed.

Conservatives will always say that's not the issue. Consoling gun-huggers and hate-mongers puts money in their pockets. Their status and money are all they care about. You wonder if their own kids have to die for them to put guns in a sensible category.

Define sensible. I'm pretty sure giving up my ability to defend my self, family and property isn't sensable. We already have laws against criminals and the mentally ill from possessing guns. They haven't helped, clearly.

@jayneonacobb
Jayne are you claiming you could protect your children when they are at school because you have guns at your home? That seems unlikely to me. Many criminals can get the legal right to own guns again and right now there is a bill in Congress waiting to be approved to let folks with mental problems have access to guns.

@Anonbene no, you're making a leap in logic. I am saying that I can protect them when they are with me better with a gun, than without. I don't see a problem with rehabilitated individuals regaining their rights. That's what those bills are aimed at doing.

@jayneonacobb I believe statically it's far more likely you or your husband will murder them or vice versa and more likely the guns will get used for suicide than your idea.

@Anonbene I find your homophobic insult childish and self deprecating. Are you going to present a valid argument, or just continue to undermine your credability.

@jayneonacobb
Huh? Oh. You're one of them.

@jayneonacobb
Isn't your name Jayne?

@Anonbene if that's your view, you might as well believe in God.

@Anonbene did you see my picture? I most assuredly am not a woman.

I would settle for sensible clip regulation, at this point, as well as banning any accessories designed to increase the rate of fire. When drafting the Second Amendment, the Framers used weapons which could fire three rounds a minute (see the YouTube video: Brown Bess Musket: Three shots in 46 seconds). They would no doubt be outraged at the carnage of Parkland, Las Vegas, Orlando, Newtown, Columbine, and so many more, not to mention how poorly regulated are our 'militias!' Other than to shoot as many people as possible without reloading, of what use are large capacity magazines?

You have to have a license to drive, get married, do any kind of business work in many different fields. But not to have kids or guns. That's always seemed strange to me and I worked in the firearms industry for four years before training and getting a license to be an electrician.

you can't have a drink or watch adult films but you can legally kill people in the army and make people ie babies. how fucked up is that? same in the UK in that respect.

As an outsider I can't understand how the right to bear arms out weighs the right to be safe.
20 miles north of me slingshots are illegal that may be a bit too far. When I was a kid there were gun shops in the city and many suburbs, they are almost non existent now. We have many people who are just as gun happy as people in the USA, but here the majority don't want them.

There are a lot of gun regulations already. The problem is, a lot of them aren't enforced, or aren't enforced as well as they should be, so additional regulation would make little difference. Another problem we run into is two-fold: first, we have, as a nation, almost no access to readily affordable mental health care. There should be free mental health centers in every town that people can walk into and get help, 24 hours a day. We live in a society that is putting greater and greater pressure on its citizens and they have no escape from that and no one to talk to about it. There is a culture of angry white-noise filling the eyes and ears of every person who has access to modern communications. Most of us are traumatized from childhood to begin with, and the corporations that own this nation and it's people know that if they can provide an attractive enough narrative that feeds the neuroses of the American public, they can sell more soap and boost tjose profits. It doesn't help that we are addicted to umbrage. We LOVE being angry about something. We LOVE being offended. As someone who has anger addiction issues (I'm sarcastic as fuck, and if you don't think sarcasm is a demonstration of anger, you need to think again) and who has to constantly catch myself and watch for spinning up, i can tell you that those little dopamine cookies I feed my anger-monkey are a hard habit to break. We are an angry nation, and we don't realize it, and we sure as FUCK don't talk about it to people who can help us untangle the shit in our heads. And then we snap. Which leads me to number 2) The people who do go talk to someone can be evaluated by a professional who may determine that they shouldn't be allowed to buy weapons (forget that they may have already purchased weapons years before they got beaten into a shining hate-diamond by life) but are prohibited by law from reporting that assessment because the person isn't an imminent threat to themselves or anyone else. We have gagged the people who may have been able to avert some of these tragedies. Not all, not even most, but if you can save a single life, that's a win, right?

This isn't about ready access to weapons. It's about mental health care. But that is a subtle problem, and it doesn't track well with focus groups. I can't show you a big pile of mental health care issues that have been destroyed and say, "see what our efforts have wrought? These issues will NEVER kill a person!" The problem is, the person who WOULD kill another person... well, they're still out there. And destroying every gun in the world won't stop a determined person from killing others. Guns are an easy target, but they aren't the real issue. The real issue will cost lots and lots of tax dollars to fix, and most of you lot aren't willing to stop screaming at each other from your positions and memes and slogans and buzzwords long enough to actually do something about the real problem. Just my tuppence.

I totally agree. The problem isn't guns, it's people with mental health problems.

I completely agree with you.

[snopes.com]

There have been some allegations that the information in these emails is false but to be honest I think it is true and that as soon as people caught wind of this, the media clamped down on it and censored the sh!# out of it so that the "narrative" that the extremists like ANTIFA and the SJW's could believe that Australia was better off after the new gun laws was sorely mistaken.

@Hugh " How in the hell does one get their hands on that?" The same way I did...I walked into a gun store, provided identification, and passed the NICS screen via ATF. I then used my AR-15 to continue competing in the Service Rifle Matches at my local gun club...just like thousands of others do. I switched from my M1 Garand (also an "assault rifle" ) because I am recoil-sensitive and my Garand was beating the hell out of me despite an extensive relationship with the Garand, having been one of the last people to be issued one in Basic Training in 1962. In short, AR-15's are the most common target rifle now used in High Power and Service Rifle matches.

Will never happen. Sadly the NRA runs this country. Just send your useless fucking prayers.

flora Level 3 Feb 14, 2018

wanna bet?

What has "industrialized" got to do with it? Usually, the anti-gun rhetoric uses "western nation" as the term to put a nefarious connotation on it. But, that does not work well because it can be interpreted as racist and also inaccurate inasmuch as several central and South American countries have far more shooting deaths than the U.S.

I don't think it's the NRA but the gun manufacturers that profit from the propaganda. I also see a connection with the religious wrong who keep saying the problem with schools is because of prayer being banned. To them it's not about guns but the absence of prayer.

To these people there must also be guns in heaven. Hell is a place without them.

Actually, when you think about it this is worse than the first Valentines day massacre. VDMII

There were only 7 in that shooting and all were grownups

Has the shooter said "why" he wanted to kill everybody?

I wonder what so many people think Hillary would have actually done if elected. How would her policies be bad? Do you see any good ones? These people are still not monarchs, people, even Trump--though he thinks he is.

Yes guns are everywhere in this country. Yes they are easy as hell to get. Yes we as a people should do something......but.... guns were just as easy to get when I was in skool maybe more so. Hell my parents had a shooting class and could carry rifles around with them. So I have to ask myself is it really just the guns?? Have we always had shootings like this and I just didn't hear about them? What the hell is going on that our kids reaction to being stressed is to shoot people? Why have skool shootings seemed to be on the increase since Columbine? I don't have the answers to this one.... I think it's something bigger than just guns.... we've always had ridiculous gun laws and insane availability so there has to be something else that I'm not seeing.

@MrLizard When I was a kid we settled things with fists. Now everyone has a gun.

Yes...what politician is going to step up and make a difference on what this country needs to do about guns and MENTAL Illness! The mentally ill people can't just be pushed out to the 'edge of town!'

Consider. What if we talked about the white victims of gun violence the way conservatives talk about blacks being killed by guns.

A bunch of white kids in Florida being killed by a white kid, meh, so what, it's just what "those people" do. No big loss.

This was the 19th school shooting in the USA for 2018.

Shooter had an AR-15, with extra magazines. Yea our legislators are monitoring the situation..Little Marco..,it's his shame he loves this fucking weapon.

cava Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

It will never happen. If 25 dead little white kids didn’t move the needle on gun regulation, nothing ever will. People will continue to send empty “thoughts and prayers” and it will just get worse and worse.

I dunno,,,,,,,I have to wonder about it being in Florida. My outrage and sympathies aside and in tact, I kinda hope it somehow "hits close to home" for ANYBODY / SOMEBODY who has been fighting sensible gun laws.

Ironic that you choose a racist comment (looks at clock) 14 hours after 17 children died.

How more members here don't employ the block button is a mystery to me. I clearly have a low threshold for bullshit comments that do nothing to foster dialogue. That crap y'all can still see about "...a racist comment..." -- poof, gone. And good riddance.

@BlueWave Can you give examples of "sensable gun laws"?

@dahermit Here you go -- a few links from a quick Google search. 🙂

[forbes.com]

[nytimes.com]

[cdn.factcheck.org]

[bradycampaign.org]

[thedailybeast.com]

After you've completely read all of these things, let us know if you have a reason for our country to not implement sensible gun laws.

@BlueWave I could not access two the sites you posted and the others turned out to be anti-gun propaganda...not one specific law was proposed, just the usual rhetoric.

@dahermit Simple question for you. Are YOU against or for reform and improvement of our current gun laws. Please don't splice or twist that question. For or against?

@BlueWave You first...state the provisions of some "sensible" gun law that you would like to propose/support.

@dahermit That was fun. Not really. This is where we shake hands, smile and carry on. Cheers!

Not every mention of race is racist. In particular, pointing out that our society takes crimes against white children much more seriously than crimes against people of color. For example, every few years a story about a missing pretty white girl dominates the news for weeks. When was the last time you saw a follow up story about a missing black woman? So yes, if anything was ever going to compel lawmakers to make a change, it was the murder of a bunch of white kids. That doesn’t make ME racist. @Jack-of-scythes

@a2jennifer then don't use race in the discussion. It was a racist comment.

No way to know if your ignorance is intentional or not. The unfortunate reality is that many people assign the lives of white children more value than the lives of children of color. THAT is racism. Pointing it out is not. @Jack-of-scythes

@A2jennifer Christ on a crutch.Your argument is racist. Your word usage is racist. Your thread is racist. It is clearly impossible for you to see it.

Uh huh. It’s racist to point out racism. Ok. Done with you. @Jack-of-scythes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.