Agnostic.com

54 4

How do you deal with people who like to argue?

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't.
I have a sister who I barely speak to, and making a conscious decision to stay away from her has brought a lot of peace to my life.

You always agree with them 😛

I love to argue but only with like minded people. If an argument gets personal or ugly, I bail.

Anymore, this sums it up.

I disagree with the premise of this post. Let us discuss this ad nauseam.

DrT Level 4 Dec 18, 2018

Depends on who it is, usually i just avoid them and walk away

Give us some particulars: relationship? Coworkers? Dudes on the street?

It can be anybody, really. I’ve had to cut toxic people out of my life cause all they wanted to do it seems was like was argue about everything and I wasn’t going to take it.

@EmeraldJewel . . Yeah. I know a couple of people like that. They will always take an opposing position, even when they have argued from the opposite before. They just want to have some kind of interaction that results in them being correct no matter what.

Try and avoid contact with them.

Dont talk to them...

Ignore them, I prefer a debate of intellectual stimulation. If someone wants to argue especially when curse words start to fly I get more tight-lipped.

I won't waste my time and energy arguing with people.

Say: Nice that you think this way and walk away.

Easy. Ask them to validate anything that doesnt make sense. In my experience people whom like to argue never have scienitific backing for their claim or theory. So when its clarified as a claim, statement, or theory, there lies no reason to argue.

Argument and verbal conflict are two different forms of dscourse. The former is a logical approach to settling different viewpoints on a subject, while the latter is most often unproductive and can lead to violence and loss of friendship. The best way to settle the latter is simply to agree and refuse to pursue it further. There are, of course, people who begin arguments for the sole purpose of creating a situation in which they attempt to visit violence or other unfortunate behavior upon the other person. Those people will often not be dissuaded, so it isbest simply not to have anything to do with such individuals.

You don't...

Arguing is useful at times, but some people are just turned on by conflict. They are usually far more troublesome than they are worth, and I try to present them with an air of indifference when I think they are just arguing for the hell of it. Or I try to zing them with a comment they can't match if that will cool them off. When there's really something to decide, arguing is OK, but otherwise it's a waste of time.

I don't, I walk away. I'm perfectly fine with them having the last word. And usually this pisses people off which gives me some satisfaction.

Ask them what it is that they really want! Or just ignore them and walk off

I don't.

One diversion technique is the anknowledgement and the validation of the other person's emotions. "You look angry."

I just want to be good listener but I sometimes don’t want to argue with someone who makes unworthy arguments,which are unsupported facts. I try to avoid this peaceful.

Guy77 Level 4 Dec 16, 2018

I assume you refer to people who get off on arguing or being contrary. Mostly I don't interact with such people, unless forced to by circumstances such as work, or unfortunate family obligations. Which is not to say that I necessarily avoid them, it's just that they get no traction with me as I'm not impressed with their bullshit.

I enjoy a good exchange of opinions, but not an argument. After one marriage in which my ex-wife would turn anything into an abusive argument, I refuse to argue in most instances. It gets you nowhere. I either tell the person, what my stance is and follow with , "I will not argue with you." Or, I simply shrug and walk away. If the person is being somewhat abusive, I may add zinger like, "One cannot reason with an irrational person."

Don’t start what we’re compelled to finish.

Depends on the person.

If they are remotely receptive to facts and reason, I will bombard them with facts and arguments that demolish their baseless assertions.

If they are hard core (head implanted in their ass) theists/tRump support that does not value truth (based on facts) or reason and continue to blather nonsense in spite of being demonstrated in error, with logically sound arguments supported by evidence - I have found it is best to ghost them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:245561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.