Agnostic.com

30 15

How do you decorate for the holidays?

As an atheist, I love decorating for the holidays with homemade dolls.

My great aunts and uncles lived together in a 10-bedroom, A-frame house on Lake Charlevoix, Michigan. Three sisters and their husbands, they were childless. They all worked in the insurance industry.

The three-story house had hidden passageways and rooms for the Underground Railroad. We kids loved playing hide-and-seek.

"The dolls are our children," they said. The men carved the doll faces and bodies, and made furniture. The women made clothes and accessories. Their dolls are in the Michigan State Children's Museum.

They always made two of each doll. One Whistler's Mother doll went to the president of France. It is in the Louvre Museum.

When I was five, my grandmother enrolled the four oldest girl cousins in the International Doll Club. Each Christmas, we received a doll from a different country, in native dress with a story, stamp and coin.

These dolls are 75 to 100 years old. I treasure them.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice story. As for me, we put up lights inside and out, have a tree, wreath, and stockings

Orbit Level 7 Dec 17, 2018

Lovely collection of dolls!

I mostly decorate with natural greenery and candles. Ribbons, and my metal tree collection. I don't do anything Santa or religious...poinsettas and fresh flowers. Very simple. I do like to change up the colors...this year, it is burgandy.

nice dolls. i love dollies.

i decorate for the holiday by lighting a menorah. i have a two-d menorah decal hanging from a ceiling light all year round, too.

g

wow that is so cool, what creative role models to grow up with!

I put up lights on the front of the house to make the neighborhood more festive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:246112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.