Agnostic.com

4 1

evolution is just a theory? why do creationist try this tactic?

when debating creationist, do they know better, or is it intentional? as atheist we know a scientific theory is not a guess. yet creationist still misuse the term theory. my favorite is the if we came from monkeys why are there still monkeys.

MichaelSpinler 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's a way for them to project their own holy book's many shortcomings by saying "well, evolution is just a theory", like it's some pseudo philosophical attempt to say " we can't prove one way or another".

For starters, they don't know the proper definition of the word "theory". I tell them, so is gravity. Do you want to test it?

They're too stupid to know the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. The word 'theory' is used loosely in everyday conversation and many people look at it as just an idea instead of fact. They also think that because the theory is constantly updated due to new discoveries that this debunks evolution when in fact it further supports it when missing links are found. There's also a big amount of misinformation about evolution, and the uneducated believe that it means we evolved directly from monkeys. This is what happens when schools don't teach evolution.

Semantics?

I think for most creationists, misusing the word 'theory' is intentional, it's been pointed out too many times for them to have not heard the explanations of the proper use of the word.

As far as the monkey question goes, We have Kirk Cameron and his pals like Ray Comfort to thank for getting idiotic ideas like that off the ground.

What a shame, and I had such a crush on Kirk back in the day- what a waste.

@LoveThyDog Awww. 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.