Agnostic.com

21 1

Does your hair salon or dresser listen to how you want your hair cut?

I was going to Great Clips for the longest time. I finally stopped after the guy ignored how I didn't want him to cut my hair. I told him, please don't layer it and please don't cut my bangs. I didn't know at the time when the hair dresser pulls the bottoms of your hair up, and cuts the ends, that he's layering it. The person I went to after him, told me it was layered. The guy also cut my bangs. I told him not to. He was going too fast with the scissors. If I had tried to stop him, he'd have messed it all up. He said I looked cute when he was done. I went in there just to cut an evenly across length wise of 1 inch off the bottom. I left crying and I had to pay and tip. Now since I moved to my new place, we have a great stylist here. She charges $10 a haircut. Great Clips charged $16. She listens to what I want and it looks nice. I take Hair/Skin/and Nail pills every day, so my hair grows really fast. Once a month I get it trimmed 1 inch off. My bangs won't grow back out now. They have grown down to my eyes. I hide them in my hair mostly. All because the idiot with scissors didn't listen, I won't get my bangs to my hair length again. Oh well. I'll never go back there again. Does your stylist listen to what you want?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No there bastards. I wanted an Elvis Presley haircut and got this bald head. when I pointed that out they said that Elvis would have had the same haircut if he had come in.

Oh, wow.

I'm joking lol. I shave my own head.

I cut my own hair.

A mohawk / pompadour hybrid doesn't take much work (or skill, thankfully) when your receding hairline does half the work for you 😉

Lol.

I did hair for a while in a past life. I've never understood stylists who don't listen to their clients. If someone says "I don't want bangs", you don't give them bangs, simple as that. If they tell you to cut one inch, you cut one inch, not three. If they don't want it layered, you don't layer it.
Sorry you had a bad experience. I understand feeling trapped and not wanting to cause a scene, but if you said you didn't want bangs and he did it anyway, you shouldn't have paid, or tipped. You should have asked for the manager. I've heard this story so many times. It makes me so angry. Glad you found a stylist who is listening to you. Don't be afraid to speak up. It's your hair and your money. You are allowed to tell them to stop. Even if they've started. You can get a manager or another stylist to finish it correctly. You shouldn't be charged for it either.

I didn't know he was layering it. Someone after told me. I was mad about the bangs at first.

Never in my life, so I taught my spouse to cut it according to my instructions, and after the divorce eight years ago, I began cutting it myself, finally getting it the way I like it, for once.

Cool.

Yeah, there’s one person that I’ve went to exclusively for maybe 5 years, maybe on and off for 15 years. It’s been probably 3 years since I’ve had it cut. I need a trim. :/ But yeah, she listens to my requests, so when I cut, I use her.

Cool.

My stylist is fantastic. She recently won an award after being voted best in central Massachusetts. She's definitely more expensive because she works independently, but she's worth every penny because my hair is the thing I am most vain about. Regardless, a stylist should be giving you what you ask for (within reason, and warning you if it's not a good idea) and not just running with what they think will look good, which is extremely unprofessional.

It is unprofessional.

yeah your hair looks good- it's harder to get a good blunt than you might think

Yes. I've been going to the same barber shop for over 40 years, and they only do three "regular" men's haircuts (regular, crewcut, bald). It started off with the owner, and now his grandson is in with him. Eventually the grandson will take over, and even the older clientele are happy with him.

Nice.

I have naturally wavy hair and discovered years ago that not all hair dressers know how to cut hair with body in it. I refuse to go to bargain basement places anymore. I've been lucky in that my hair dresser will let me know if a certain cut will work for me and my hair type.

Cool. I have straight hair.

I have been cutting my own hair for over a decade now, it saves me money and id I mess it up I only have myself to blame

I can't cut my own hair.

I would not know. The last time I went for a hair cut, the guy put me on a high chair and gave me a lollipop. Also (and this may shock) I do not shampoo, simply rinse. After a few weeks the natural oils kick in and it becomes silky.

Lol.

It only happened to me once and I refused to pay the hairdresser and she said that she would call the police, I told to do it, she didn't. I also told her that she should consider herself lucky that I did not sue her. That was the first and last time I visited her hairdressing salon.
The hairdresser failed to LISTEN to what I told her before she cut my hair and just did her own thing.

It sucks.

I went to every hairdresser in my district I am an artist and so drew a picture of exactly how I wanted my hair cut none of them did as I asked - I feel your pain - I now cut my own fringe and grow the rest for wigs for children.

Oh, okay.

I brought in a picture of Britney Spears or some celeb to try to explain what blonde looks like. The previous stylist made me mousy brown twice.

They pretend to, then do what they want

Yep.

I got an instructional book and started learning to cut my own hair as far back as 7th grade. I did some awful clip jobs but I improved over time. I would get professional cuts, then just give myself a touch up trim in between going back in for proper haircuts. But I got quite frustrated with the inconsistency of stylists. Before I was out of college I had experienced one too many butcher jobs and finally decided I would rather be disappointed in my own efforts than PAY someone to disappoint me. Over 30 years later now and I have never had anyone else but myself cut my hair ever since.

DAMN I'm good! Actually, I'm just pleased to still have a full head of hair. LOL

Lol.

My previous hairdresser, was super talented, but sometimes did her own thing. Yeah, what's with these hairdressers and layers? So I'm trying to get my roots covered, and she must have run out of bleach, because she made my hair light brown. I went back for a fix, and it looked the same. So I found a new hairdresser who does what I want with no arguments. If I want a purple Mohawk, give me a purple Mohawk. So I get an email from her franchise that she's moved on, and they'll give me a free cut and style. Weird, I think- I wasn't getting that vibe from her. Usually you can see that kind of thing coming. So a few hours later , I get an email saying, they email was a mistake - disregard it. I'll bring in the coupon anyway. The worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Yep.

I have cut y own hair for over 40 years after some Very unfortunate experiences. About 6 months ago I thought I might give it another try....Total Disaster!
By the way, if you are displeased, Do Not Tip!!! Rewarding crappy behavior is just wrong!

Okay.

Yes she does and is super affordable to boot which is why I sometimes have to wait over a week to get in to see her.

But I have zero complaints

Nice.

Of course

Okay.

Mine does because it is me.

mine does for the same reason

Well...sometimes...my sister is a hair dresser. Ad family, she does my hair for free, but there is a cost. I don't generally get to pick and if I irritate her, I will and have payed the price (Aesthetically, not monetarily.) Lol

Oh, wow. Sorry to hear. Lol.

your better off just paying then perhaps

They certainly should. You're paying them for service and you should get what you're paying for.

Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.