Agnostic.com

9 15

Such a pickle...

AMGT 8 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish my brained worked better today. Right now I will say, "thats above my pay grade"😉

Possibly provide real life examples that have consequences and then point out that their religious belief requires they ignore consequences of not using evidence and logic. May not work right away but might get them to think .

Well, that will have me in deep thoughts for a while.

That is why I came to the insight that the only point in talking to most religious people about religion is essentially just for the laughs. Otherwise, waste of time.

Well...this is true to a point. The preachers tell the congregation that the bible is the truth and the way and they should believe everything thats in it. The preacher refers to scripture as evidence to what he's preaching. That's his truth, evidence, and logic. We know it's all bullshit, but because the congregation wants to follow this, our belief is not what they're wanting to accept. It's like @twshield says. Everyone has his own truth and logic.

Remember, when responding to arguments of a doggedly determined magical thinker-- aka a religious zealot-- we are not responding so much to change that zealot's mind, an exercise in futility, as we are to counter their potential influence over other audience who might be considering the merits of their sales pitch. We are arguing to deny them converts. It is well worth the effort.

Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

right... exercise in futility.

That’s a great description of the limits of evidence and logic. I wonder what Harris’ answers to those questions are.

skado Level 9 Feb 15, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.