Agnostic.com

13 8

Hey everyone thx for answering my first question. My next my next question is, after doing 3 tours in Iraq I grew a large disliking to the way Christians in my platoon where talking to the locals when it came to religion. Guys in my platoon were preaching to the kids in the streets that they were wrong and they were going to hell cause they didnt follow jesus. However i thought it was wrong, ignorant, rude and absurd for them to be doing that on a daily basis while out on patrol, they were just making enemies out of the parents, but they didnt care. Do you think it's possible for theist to recognize a good person without judging on the person's faith. And do you think it's positive our theist troops are brainwashed that there faith is superior.

ZoeZzonbie 5 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an Ex soldier of the Belgian army and the French FL I have to tell you firstly that I have respect for you doing 3 tours and the way you think.
When I was deployed in conflict zones in Africa, middle east , or south America I found that we where there firstly to help the people in that conflict zone regardless of their beliefs. We had our own way of thinking about each conflict but we kept it to ourselves. If anyone of our unit would do what your colleagues did we would tell them off and even remove them from the unit as they would be putting our lives in danger by their unprofessional behavior. And yes you can judge a person without judging merely on their beliefs. And NO it is not in any way positive your troops are brainwashed that their believes are superior. But that is just my personal view. I wish I would have met more soldiers like yourself from the US Army.

lol Marine Corps. 🙂

They are all brainwashed. That's why they start teaching you about Jesus and God when your a young child

Religion should be kept out of the military. The troops should have been reported as causing hostility with the locals.

It's ironic that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all subject to the same Old Testament nonsense. They spend their time hating each other when they should all be seeking psychiatric help together.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

Zoe, good for you to be a decent human being. There is already too much crap in the world.

I have met theists who know when they've met a good person regardless of their faith. I don't think it's positive regarding the superiority thing but consider the people in power want everything about themselves to be superior so the locals will submit. I don't think the troops should be comparing their religion nor should they talk about religion. That's just wrong.

SamL Level 7 Oct 29, 2017

yes, A person who is well grounded does not need to proselytize. And will be able to recognize with high probability another good person no matter their faith.

mzee Level 7 Oct 29, 2017

Does the Marine Corps have a position on this practice? I would think it would be against regulations.

Yes, I think it's possible for theists to recognize a good person regardless of that person's faith, but I think that it takes time and lots of interaction.

I'm not sure that what our theist troops think of their own faith matters, as they shouldn't be pushing their religion anywhere, especially on foreign soil.

Oh crap... As if they didn't already hate us enough over there for stealing (taking by force) their resources.

From what I've seen from the Christians, I'd have to say the majority feel superior to other religions, and especially non-believers. Not that non-belief is a religion.

The idea that they have no respect for the beliefs of others flies right over their heads, but if you even hint at disagreeing with theirs they have a fit.

I certainly do think it's possible for theists to recognize a good person and not judge. Some of them must have slipped through the cracks. lol

Thank you for your service, Zoe. 😉

We know that the military has a bias towards Christianity,as does the US. The arrogance is supported by a well funded religious machine. Believers will do anything to win brownie points to bring them closer to their heaven. They fear death so much that they will violate the rights of others, in order to make themselves feel better about their own doubts.

Soldiers need to be ordered to keep their religious views to themselves. I was raised a Protestant Christian and I was taught that all other religions are false; as well as a large number, if not most, sects/ denominations of Christianity. But, it was not only that they were seen to be false, but of the devil. So, I would guess that a lot of soldiers have that mentality ; and, therefore, have no respect for other religions. Oh, and given that we atheists are even worse, in their eyes, we don't stand a chance of having any level of respect from these types of believers.

All religions are The One True Faith, just ask. Religions are popular because they form an in-group, people who are better than outsiders. It helps form the basis for authoritarianism by establishing there is Only One Way, and of course the church elders know what it is.

It certainly does work against our popularity when soldiers play the God Loves Me Best card.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.