Agnostic.com

27 12

What are you unashamed of?

After 10 years of research, Dr Brené Brown found that there is an epidemic of shame in the U.S. No doubt, this shame epidemic is not limited to the U.S.

For many, it may take quite a while and a lot of hard work to overcome years of indoctrination from shame/fear based religions, primary caregivers, and society in general.

Dr Paul Eckman, from the University of California, states that shame is the most private of emotions and that humans have yet to evolve a facial expression that clearly communicates it.

Psychiatrist Peter Loader states that people cover up or compensate for deep feelings of shame with attitudes of contempt, superiority, domineering or bullying, self-deprecation, or obsessive perfectionism.

The findings from Dr Brown’s research also showed that shame is highly correlated with depression, addictions, and eating disorders.

"A child’s self-identity is shaped around the things they hear about themselves. A study of schoolchildren found that only 4% had not been the targets of adult shaming; including “rejecting, demeaning, terrorizing, criticizing (destructively), or insulting statements” (Solomon & Serres, 1999).

While it took years to atrophy the negative wiring,

I am unashamed for being myself.
I am unashamed for being true to myself.
I am unashamed for having loose skin after significant weight loss.
I am unashamed for having stretch marks caused by pregnancy and weight gain.
I am unashamed for sagging breasts caused by mastitis, nursing and gravity.
I am unashamed for not meeting cultural standards of beauty.
**I am unashamed for being female.

What are you unashamed of?

VictoriaNotes 9 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no shame about or for anything about me. Everything that has happened in my life has made me who I am today, and I think I'm a pretty good person.

Ralph Waldo Emerson inspired country bumpkin preacher Garfield to give up fundamentalist shame and move up to become President of the United States ....I have never been ashamed of reasoning out of religious lies imposed upon me: tooth fairy, ishtar boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns, Santa Claus and virgin birth of alleged baby gawds in dirty donkey stables....by age 5, I was proud of my Atheist heroes Albert Einstein and Walt Disney ASHAMED INSTEAD of my racist religious bigot parents and family....I LEARNED not to be ashamed of my penis erections and ejaculations....I encouraged my lovers and bride not to be ashamed of their beautiful vagina labia and clitoris nor leaking lactating nipples stained their cover up clothes while feeding our babies....and I unlearned the shame I was taught to feel when found attractive by gay men....I accepted flattery and said no to their love while explaining my loyalty to my spouse despite offers of superiour fellatio....my shame is reserved for my genocidal polluter GREEDY nation obsessed with McCarthyistic theocratic fascist banksters for Zionist conquest of Palestine

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:250673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.