Agnostic.com

5 3

QUESTION Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds | The New Yorker

If you care about how people think this article in the New Yorker is a must read. I think maybe once we understand our mind better we can really start making better decisions.

paul1967 8 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember studying confirmation bias while completing my undergrad many years ago. This was a good read. Thanks for sharing.

This will make you all chuckle (or cringe). I was recently in a "discussion" which was really just a bunch of people throwing low-grade fallacies at me while I tried to hold my tongue, and pointed out to one of the opposing team that she had confirmation bias and that we all suffer with a raft of cognitive biases.

She actually replied that "I don't have any cognitive biases" which pretty much summed it up.

Draco Level 6 Sep 25, 2017

something that hurts us,our defend mechanism protect us and we can not see it. Can happen to any one.
When the doctor told me, my darling dog has died, without thinking I said
No he is not dead , he is in coma. I could not face the truth was so painful.

tonia Level 5 Sep 27, 2017

Several YouTube videos reccomend that relate well to this:
-Why Facts Don't convince people (Social good now)
-Why you think you're right - even when you are wrong (Julia G. TedX)
-Finding out you were wrong (Atheist debates Matt D.)
-The Rationalist Delusion in Moral Psychology (Jonathan H.)
-The Intelligence Delusion (Steve Slowman)
-The Illusion of understanding (Phil Fembach TedX)
-We're Doing it Wrong / Street Epistemology / Atheist United (Anthony M.)
-Mr. Rogers and the Power of Persuasion (Yellow bear films)
-Steve Pinkerton tests your deductive reasoning

Just a few off the top of my head of my favorite go to videos...

This is an interesting article. Most of us believe what we wish were true not what we have studied and reason to be true. It's a well-established fact in neuroscience. Read Norman Doidge's two books on Neuroplasticity. This is why political arguments are generally not productive because reason does not apply. Make a person feel through advertising or illustration or other devices and you're much more likely to be convincing.

It sounds like you know a thing or two about this. I would love to pick your brain on this subject one of these days, and I'll be reading your recommendation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:251
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.