Agnostic.com

19 3

Do Christian condone everything that happen in their bible. Since they believe everything in the Bible is 100% true and God it's words?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well they don't have to condone anything, as long as their god did it and they fear the shit out of this god, they have to accept or be punished by the devil

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

Lets look in the bible, shall we? Don't worry, we will only be talking about Abraham and his crew. Most good christians would turn white and faint if they saw actual slavery. Abraham was not only a slave owner, but he made his fortune trading slaves. He couldn't get his wife knocked up. Most christians think that polygamy is bad. (Mormons and a few others excepted) His wife, Sarah, told him to pick a slave and marry her so he could get a son. Most christians think pedophilia is bad. Abraham chose a 9 year old to marry. Her name was Hagar. Most christians think rape is bad. He forced sex on her till she got knocked up. She ran away. Most christians think angles might come to her rescue. Nope! One showed up on the road, chewed her ass and told her to go back to her abusive, rapist pedophile master. She gave birth to a son. He started growing up. Most christians think it's a good idea to follow the laws and traditions of the area. A miracle happened and Sarah,( remember Sarah?) finally got knocked up. According to the laws and traditions of the time, Hagar's kid was supposed to inherit Dad's land, crops, and wealth. Asshole Abraham willed it all to Sarah's kid and sent Hagar's kid packing. Sorry this took so long. I think the answer to your question is no.

You would have to ask a christian.

The one overriding thing about religions is that they all believe something different and they all interpret their holy books differently.

When Christian defend the bible they say either that the old testament or you reading it out of context

Of course not! They don't believe it either, or they'd let their kids play on the interstate and never take them to the doctor, since they claim that "God" controls everything, so everything that happens is "God's will."

Luckily, most of them never read it, and neither do the preachers, although they teach plenty of traditions designed to increase their bottom line.

Christians are confused, delusional, lack critical thinking, have little regard for facts or the scientific method. I'm not concerned with what they believe, except when it encroaches on my rights. And that is why I am an athiest activist.

No way do they follow the whole thing. They are quick to point out what Leviticus says about homosexuality, but seem to have no problem with things like mixed fabric and eating shellfish.

d_day Level 7 Feb 16, 2018

Good question.

I believe that most christians are like Simon said...if Simon says do this...They do it....lol...nuff said

I have a strict Catholic friend- never mind that she is divorced... I asked her about the current Pope and his more liberal views... She said he did not say those things in "ex cathedra" or sitting in his chair... So God was not speaking through him.. Um ok...

In my experience many Christians are quite ignorant of the Bible, have not read it in its entirety or studied it in any depth. So they are unaware of the nasty bits, for the most part. Those who HAVE delved more deeply are often so constrained by a narrow interpretational system that they are incurious about things that conflict or make no sense, they just have "faith" that it all works out somehow in the long run. As an evangelical I figured that smarter people than me had devoted a life of scholarship to this stuff and wouldn't honor it if it were BS. Obviously -- I overestimated their intellectual integrity.

By the way, not all Christians believe everything in the Bible is 100% true and god's words. Liberal Christians for example often see it rather like we unbelievers do, as a primitive document from the ancient world, written by men and full of errors and inconsistencies. They tend to interpret it symbolically / metaphorically rather than literally. They think that under god's guidance they can extract moral principles and lessons from it, but they don't think it's literally true and inerrant. They vary as to how loosely they interpret it and how loosely they hold to their faith -- but it's nothing like how fundamentalists believe.

Met some that instantly think some of the atrocious actions of the god of Abraham are moral simply because god=moral, therefore killing all the first born of Egypt is moral to them.

No. No Christian believes in the same deity as any other they all have a personal God that is of their own conception.

Yeah, they pick and choose the parts that allow for their particular lifestyle, wants, and desires.

NO...they pick and choose what passages they promote...but they will slay you in a heart beat, with the BIBLE book!

They'll say they do, and that it is, but they cherry-pick the hell out of it. Yet another example of christian hypocrisy.

I think in the question the term "Christian" needs narrowing down. There is no more "The Christian" as there is "The Muslim" , or "The American". The (European) Christianity I grew up with was much less narrow than the fundies in the US. And the answer for the above question would be "no" as the Theology in Europe, whether protestant or Roman catholic, seems to be well aware of the fact, the Bible was written by men, not God as such. And within Theology there are wide differences of opinion of what is an allegory, what is literal. And what was propaganda by some tribe of the time and should best be ignored. I knew a practicing pastor here in New Zealand who did interpret the feeding of the masses as: "They felt like they had been fed after his inspiring words." Hum. Well. Just saying, there is huge diversity, and no one in my upbringing even mentioned the really hideous bits in the Bible, that were used to trick people in this Video, first few minutes ....

What you say is true. I was brought up as a literalist. It was God's words and therefore was all good. I was indoctrinated from birth. There are beginning to be less and less fundamental wackos like I was in the U.S. today. This is mostly due to a more proper education in public schools the Fundamentalist have not infiltrated and the internet.

@DavidLaDeau What you say makes it sound hopeful that things are not as bad as they were. Maybe the wackos get too much exposure. I haven't been to the states, but got the impression the in the Bible belt and so it's pretty bad.

@ZebZaman Having grown up here i have been ignorant and thought it was that way everywhere. It has only been in the last 5 years that i have realized that the whole world is not like the United States as far as religion is concerned. It is due to speaking with people like you. Thank you

As a Young Earth Creationist, Fundamentalist, Wacko, I most certainly did. It did create a great deal of cognitive dissidence. Lets look at the virgin birth story. Mary is traditionally said to have been about 12-14 years old. A little girl. She was not asked to give birth to God's son but simply told.
If we look at it from a modern perspective legally in the real world . A little girl was impregnated without her consent.This would be called rape and child molestation, and the subjugation of a female, by today's standards. I had to write that off as O.K. just because God did it. Obviously I simply could not justify Gods immoral behaviors as I got to know and understand the Bible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.