Agnostic.com

26 1

Favorite-read recommendations?

Looking for recommendations on favorite nonfiction titles, comedy and/or sarcasm entwined a definite bonus. Anyone?

Bethi 4 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you don't mind strong language, you may get some laughs out of George Carlin's Brain Droppings.

I am currently reading Lifeforce, The Scientific Basis (Swanson) as well as Full Catastrophe Living (Kabot-Zinn). First one essentially talks about the physics around consciousness and the interaction in quantum mechanics. Kinda of dry, scientific reading...not very humorous. Second is about mental healing powers and ways to help relieve stress, pain, and illness.

Dry science is always a go to for me, but I enjoy it most when there's a bit of wit added in! Thank you

The happiness Trap by Dr Russ Harris . This book is a great introduction to Acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT). ACT is very helpful if you are dealing with anxiety or depression.

The Subtle art of not giving a fuck - Mark Manson. This is about prioritising and acting on what's most important in your life

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens.

Anything by David Sedaris, especially his touching and funny new book, "Calypso." David Sedaris is one of my favorite comic writers.

[theguardian.com]

"Pure Drivel" by Steve Martin is hilarious.

I had to recommend David Sedaris and Pure Drivel too, one of my favorite books ever.

Looking out over the East River from my jail cell and still running for public office, I realize that I have taken several actions in my life for which I owe public apologies. ?

Any of George Carlin's works.

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica is funny

"Angels & Demons" if you haven't already and his new one (Dan Brown) "Origins"

lerlo Level 8 Dec 25, 2018

Leviathan Wakes. It's the first of a sci-fi book series which the show The Expanse is based on.

Marz Level 7 Dec 25, 2018

Richard Feynman's autobiography, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman is a good read.

JimG Level 8 Dec 25, 2018

Yes!

He is also a very good theoretical physicist.

A year of living biblically by AJ Jacobs - it’s funny and thoughtful🙂

I’ve recently heard of a book -Educated
Not sure if the author

this guy has a book that was/is important to me. simple obvious observations. [ted.com]

Thanks everyone!!

Bethi Level 4 Dec 25, 2018

“ The Mirror of relationship “ J. Krishnamurti.

I found most of Eric Hoffer quite interesting observations of society. My favorite was:

The True Believer and the Nature of Mass Movements

"Whose Boat is This Boat?" Comments That Don't Help in the Aftermath of a Hurricane. Written accidentally by Donald Trump. Only partially kidding because proceeds from the book go to hurricane relief.

Nothing's sacred by Lewis Black. Me talk pretty one day by David Sedaris. If the nonfiction part isn't as important as humor and sarcasm, Pure Drivel by Steve Martin and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. If the humor part isnt as important as the nonfiction, The Soul of the Night by Chet Raymo.

“Becoming” by Michelle Obama. A well written autobiography giving insight into who she was and what it was like to be the first black First Lady. (Hint: it wasn’t a piece of cake.)

I have one recommendation to anyone looking to get a grip on stuff in the nonfiction world. The Evolution of Man and Society by C.D. Darlington. It is a light to guide you through tricky concepts. My first copy came from a used book store in Keene, New Hampshire. I read and reread it floating around a pond in a rubber raft all one summer. I am on my second copy provided by a loving son once he learned the first one bit the dust. You won't go wrong here. Darlington is best known as a botanist, but his profound breakthough is applying some of that science to us, you and me. People, and how we became what we are. Give that one a shot. I bet you get hooked. Let me know.

Sounds delightful! Rubber raft in the pond and all! Thank you!

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.. small, thin book, easy read, IMO powerful.. also Freewill, also small thin book..(I do recommend watching the YouTube videos on his talk about it beforehand) anything by Christopher Hitchens 'God is not great'.. Hitch 22.. and anything Richard Dawkins.. Selfish Gene.. etc..

I second this

@ScubaWags
I third that! Sam Harris is outstanding.

The philosopher and the wolf by mark Rowlands.

One of my all time favorite works of non-fiction is "The Portable Curmudgeon" compiled by Jon Winokur. It's a wonderfully funny and spiky series of quotes from famous people throughout history.

“Dreams of My Father”, by Barack Obama is memoir of hs youth and early adulthood, plus an insightful look at the racial divide from (what else?) the black man’s point of view. President Obama is able to step back and look at racism from a realistic, although constructive point of view. He has my respect.

The only current non-fiction I can think of that is somewhat comic/sarcastic is Michael Wolfe's "Fire and Fury," which is about the first year in the Trump Whitehouse. It did not really strike me as all that funny, though it is certainly full of clowns!

Rachel Carson's Under the Sea Wind is a naturalist's peaceful masterpiece. Truly calming. I highly recommend it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:252124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.