Agnostic.com

5 1

How can people pass the laws they want?

Marine 8 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@marine What happened to your link?

I responded based on your original post, which included a link to ballot.org

That's not cool to change it after people have responded.

Sorry i have no idea what happened to it. I tried to bring it back up myself and was not able to..

I found it again. you must go to The Ballot Initiative Strategy Center:ballot.org

Politicians can't even pass the laws they want.

If you're talking federal. You can't. You either have to find a lobby or organization that you agree with, or make a large financial contribution to your favorite politician d'jour. Once find your organizstion, you have to become an ardent activist and spent all ypur waking hours making phone calls and canvassing. Sad but true.

Twenty-six states allow for ballot initiatives or referendums. It would be great to go around Congress on items they refuse to address like term limits, allowing everyone to have the same health insurance they carry.

Different for federal and state/local. For federal, first you have to rent or buy some congresscritters. For state/local, you can probably get a quantity discount.

We can go around the Congress by using the Initiative and referendum to get laws we desire on the ballot when legislators ignore public desires. To find out how use The ballot initiative strategy center:ballot.org

@marine I don't think this is true. Federal laws are passed by Congress.

Ballot initiatives apply to state laws.

Also, it looks like your state, Connecticut, does not allow voter initiatives.

[ballotpedia.org]

In Arizona the people pass a law through a ballot initiative and the government finds a way not to implement it if they disagree with it...welcome to Arizona

@Veteran229 It would be nice if your group would follow the the Constitution like separation of church and State, allowing people to vote and stop the gerrymandering. The Constitution is great but tit has nothing in it that prevents it from being improved upon. For example : womans rights, LGBT rights, taxing churches as businesses when they promote political parties,getting rid of corporations being considered persons, public financing of campaigns to remove the money from buying elections., removal of the electoral college.

@Veteran229 Perhaps now is the right time to do so.

@GinaKay We are going to try and change that>

@GinaKay When passed by a state it often is brought to the attention of the house where it can be taken up as a bill.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.