Agnostic.com

70 4

How to respond to those who say they will pray for you?

How do yall respond or feel about those who say to you, "I'll pray for you" or "you're in my prayers"? I understand that for that person, it's how they show that they care, but if they know that you are not religious, then are they being almost condescending?

AnnaMD 5 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say “Thanks”. No need to take offense at a kind gesture.

I think it's out of genuine kindness most of the time and I just say thank you. It's honestly not worth getting into it with anyone. If they want to believe in magic beings that will make things better then ok.
They're all kind of like little kids that refuse to believe that Santa is not real.

SheRa Level 3 Jan 4, 2019

Good point

"I will think for you"

I say “I wish you all the best too” and leave it at that. No interest in creating a conflict or a long drawn out situation.

Just say thank you and move on. It works for me.

I tell them: "Thanks, but I'm only accepting cash right now."

That's very good, will use that next time.

You say thanks and go on with your dailies.

JRon Level 2 Dec 29, 2018

"Thank you, I need all the help I can get" with just a pinch of humor and sarcasm full in the knowledge that their prayers are really for their own benefit.

I thank them for their interest and concern. But never for the prayers.

My standard comment is, thank you I appreciate your concern.

GbRu Level 4 Jan 2, 2019

I believe in each to their own and good intention, all good wishes would be welcome.

You could just say "Thank you for your thoughts". Polite way to get your point across.

Yes, very polite and why would anyone make a big deal out of someone who wants only the best for you? It's their way of saying they care, not ours perhaps, but to make it a point of contention, I'm more inclined to just go with the flow. Gladwin is beautiful area. I live in Florida now, but retired from the Free Press...Moved here from the UP

Me: "Well, if it makes you feel any better, have at it, toots."

I agree. I mean, I get that they mean well, but at the same time, it definitely seems condescending. I just always say "Trust me, my mom has been praying for me my entire life. Must be a lost cause" Then you smile and walk away. Lol my little way of holding back

They are trying to be nice, I just let it slide.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 29, 2018

I like the old "You'll pray for me? Then I guess I'll have to think for you." response.

I thank them for the kind thoughts. It is usually how the people around me tell me they are hoping for the best.

I say thank you for thinking of me. It's something I just kinda ignore.

Please don't, I'm not into voodoo or witchcraft.

Your God does not care about whoever believes in him, imagine to me that I do not believe in God.

ylma Level 5 Jan 3, 2019

Inside my head the reply to anyone that says they will pray for me is a single old Anglo Saxon word followed by off, but I usually manage to confine those words to the inside of my head and more often than not say why on Earth would you do that?

Thanks. I'll take all the best wishes I can get.

I really have never felt that people who say they will pray for me are being condescending. People who say that for the most part do it out of a sense of compassion and a belief that they are being helpful. My response is, thanks! The people who who describe such people as "fools" are the one who are condescending.

I used to be deeply offended whenever I came to someone with a problem and they said that they would pray for me. To me, an atheist at the time, the gesture seemed empty. I didn't understand why that's all they could do.
A few years ago, however, I realized why I shouldn't be offended by these words. To someone who believes in God, and believes in the power of prayer, that is the most meaningful thing they can do for you. There is no condescension whatsoever, although it can sound like that sometimes. They just want you to know that they care about you deeply, and that they are asking God -- an entity which they believe can fix all problems -- to be there for you. It doesn't make sense to people who don't believe in a higher power, and that is understandable. But (in my opinion) there is no reason to be offended when someone is giving you their love, and an "I'll pray for you" is best met with a "Thank you," whether you agree with it completely or not 🙂

"I'll pray for you"
"Will you? I'll tell my rainbow hedgehog unicorn about you too, oh sorry he doesn't exist...either."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253878
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.