Agnostic.com

70 4

How to respond to those who say they will pray for you?

How do yall respond or feel about those who say to you, "I'll pray for you" or "you're in my prayers"? I understand that for that person, it's how they show that they care, but if they know that you are not religious, then are they being almost condescending?

AnnaMD 5 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Okay" and walk away. They're welcome to their stupidity.

Smile and move on. You only have so much energy, and the real fight is elsewhere.

Just don’t say or write “thoughts and prayers” or my head will explode on sight. I think a simple thank you is sufficient. Whether they’re condescending or not shouldn’t matter. We’re the ones with a better grasp of reality, right?

Put your faith to work. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or a food pantry. Give a job to someone down and out. You can't help someone's condition with prayer.

Preach!!! Lmao

Same as when someone says bless you, happy birthday, or I’m so sorry to hear that... “thank you”. If they truly believe and don’t pray for you, that would make them a real asshole.... some people do it in a condescending or judgemental way, but most offer it kindly.

A very kind and considerate way of showing love for someone.

You should embrace their caring with the intended good will!

I don't think they mean to be condescending. They may just not know what to say, other than what they have said their entire life. If they know you are not of the same mindset, I would just ignore it and let them feel better for showing an interest in your well being. I, personally, would just say thank you and forget about it. If people try and "push" that type of philosophy on you, then it is probably time to speak up and make them aware that you would just as not discuss religion, as it is a very private thing to you, and no one needs to learn of your beliefs.

That's okay, Odin watches over me, hes got shit covered

Christian to agnostic vocabulary: prayers = positive thoughts, energy is energy. I'm a survivor of a pediatric brain tumor. I was raised in a "find your own truth" environment, we were close with lots of people who prayed for us to a god we didn't believe in. But good vibes are good vibes. Prayers help heal.

Probably condescending, an all-too-prevalent characteristic of "Christians". Mindless babble. When I grow up, I'll be a hermit...hell (is such a word permissible here?), seeing where I live, I already am a hermit...but that growing up sucks. Tried it. No thanks, but I did try steamed oysters and have loved them since.

Thanks! And I'll ask my imaginary friend if he feels like doing you a favor when you're in need next time.

For anyone who is wondering, this is not how I would actually respond. But it's the first thing that goes through my head.

I usually do one of these 3 things. 1 to ignore their comment, 2 to thanks them, just to be polite or 3_ tell them you don't believe on that bs.. Because you know it doesn't work.. So it depends on who is telling you. I mean, do you know the person very well? Does the person know you very well. It's a respectful person, smart, educated or a stupid ignorant.. So there are many aspects to considerate..

Happy New Year for every one..!

Depends if they're genuine or not. If they are, I'd just politely say thank you

mxelh Level 2 Jan 1, 2019

I just don't bother with their prayers, but as I am polite and they don't mean wrong, I just say "thanks"...

Well if they pray for me to make whats call god forgive me i will be happy cause they are not those type of assholes who thinks other believers or atheist should go to hell, but if they pray for me to join their religion to get away from hell i will be mad cause they think that i deserve to go to hell for ever just because i don’t believe in their bullshit . Please forgive my bad English

your English is just fine......be proud you are bi-lingual.....

No need to dust up at an act of concern, even if the way they express their concern is mostly bogus.

The arbitrary nature of God is more genuine than any "prayer" of the faithful. If those of faith want to pray over anything, they should try their hand at exercising free will then take their chances that their god will be as merciful as they like to think their god is.

I tell them that is creepy and don't tell me.

I just smile and nod. Some of my friends will say thank you but I see no reason to extend gratitude. I find it a shallow and meaningless gesture.

It really depends on who it is from, those that don't know my "beliefs" I take it as a nice gesture and those that know I take it as an insult

Nod and smile. I have no interest in challenging their beliefs, nor having them challenge mine.

It depends on their purpose for saying it. If they intend to influence your decisions contrary to your intent then i don't appreciate it. If they are simply trying to help me then i appreciate it but i know it's not beneficial. Even if their naive you shouldn't respond to kindness with anger

It depends if you want to be actively 'anti-theist'. If not, react as if they had just said 'good luck, hope things go well'... which is basically that they are saying. If you want to make a point, you can go for something like 'Thank you - and I'll talk to my pet gerbil for you. I expect similar results.'

Personally I find them to be somewhat condescending when they say that to me.
One of my numerous responses to them is " Is not praying simply like trying to swim in dry, desert sand?"

It depends on the nature of the comment and the attitude of the person saying it to me. If I they are a condescending christian type, I respond with "hail satan" and smile. If they just don't know any better, I smile and say nothing.

I get this a lot because my wife is an active Catholic. If I mention that I'm waiting to hear back from a job interview or the results of a medical test and get an "I'll say a prayer" or "I'll be praying for you", I'm kind of ok with that because these clowns actually think it will do some good. When it bothers me is when I tell them that I'm a non-believer and they say it because the unspoken part is that they are saying I'm broken and need God in my life to be fixed. These generally get a "please don't bother - I've never been happier" or "that really isn't necessary".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253878
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.