Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

you have it backwards - the idea of a deity needs to be proven, not the non existence of a fairy tale

"Deity" and "Gods" are man made opinions that led to the "belief" of a hire being to change the views of the people to their own. For example, the Conquistadors that arrived in mexico brought Christianity to the picture. Changing the appearance of the Virgen de Guadalupe to conform the natives. Skin color, facial, the way the dress... Natives became slaves and thousands of years of history lost for the word for "God"

@Chicano34 Hire Power? Lol

@Chicano34. You are right, and it is called syncretism.

@TheMiddleWay It is not necessary to prove God doesn't exist. The believers are making a claim of existence. The default position is to not believe until the claim is proven. There is no need to prove non-existence. That would be like asking someone to prove fairies don't exist.

@Profesao yeh you hire the power to do your bidding. “God” doesn’t shoot lightning bolts at your foes for free.

@TheMiddleWay respectfully wtf are you talking about? That post leads me believe you don’t have a basic high school understanding of the scientific process.

Think of all the things you would do if you were God. Would you stop child abuse? Would you cure cancer?
Then I realized that I used to believe in a deity who did none of these things.

That's how I feel about the subject as well. There are many things that I would put a stop to if I could... and considering a God SHOULD be powerful enough to but doesn't leads me to believe it doesn't exist.

@TheMiddleWay
If your child were being raped by let's say a priest, and you were there, and you were powerful enough to stop it. Would you stop it from happening, or just chalk it up as a learning experience for the child?

@TheMiddleWay: I'll give you the bike example. But what control do we have over catastrophic natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes or other devastating weather events? And what about famine and pestilence? "god" would have power over these that we do not. Why does it not exercise that power? It is either a sadist or non-existent.

Your statement reminds me of Stephen Fry in this interview:

@TheMiddleWay using your logic, your God should kill all of us immediately so we can be with him. This whole bunch of crap of "learning a lesson" is just a human construct. What god needs to teach lessons? Isn't he capable of creating something that doesn't need to be taught lessons? Isn't he capable of creating something that does not have flaws that need to be corrected? Is he so incapable that he made things that were flawed and needs to correct them en route to "a better place"? Then he's no god. All this stuff is just made up so the power elite of the religion can control people to give them money and to give them power. There are no gods.

@TheMiddleWay I try to use Occam's razor. Illiterate farmers and shepherds created religion to use against their own for power and control. No other explanation works better than that - no "god simulation" necessary.

God give to us authority for our world. Since men are separate from God, men has been doing everything like you are seen. Is not God guilty, is ours. What are you doing to change the bad situation that you see?

@rickarto First, prove your god exists, then we can talk about how silly he is.

@iamjc your statement is unclear.

Well maybe, but god certainly makes my sports team better...

I spent the first 21 years of my life trying to convince myself I believed. I realized in my last semester of college that I didn't and never had. I was going to a religious college, so I had to stay in the closet until I graduated.

I was in the same situation, but search God and discover His great love. Don't search in wrong places, the answers is in your heart. God loves you so much.

@rickarto How would you know for absolute certainty that you were not under a delusion? (example: millions of Japanese that believed their emperor was divine, or Hindus or Muslims that both you and I can agree are deluded and are pretending to know things they can't know)

Atheism is a lack of belief. Its why you can be an agnostic atheist. The terms are not really equivalent. Atheism requires nothing be a lack of belief, you don't need reason to be atheist. You are born atheist. You are taught something, then fall out of belief and claim to be agnostic. You are an agnostic atheist. I was an atheist for a long time before I ever bothered to understand why I was atheist. Now that I have studied religion's through history, I can tell you why I am atheist, but atheism requires nothing to justify it other then a lack of belief in a god or gods.

Yeah, you're obviously just using a different definition than the OP.

Narrow definition "atheist", broad definition "agnostic":

P = god

Objectively: P or ~P

Subjectively:

Do you believe P?
Do you believe ~P?

YN: the(os)-ist
NN: agnost(os)-ic
NY: athe(os)-ist

"Agnostic atheist" doesn't describe a specific position, even using your definitions. Those 4 positions models a-theists pass around are false dilemmas.

The atheist believes there is no god. The agnostic does not believe there is a god. These are not equivalent positions.

@TheMiddleWay: I go along with you most of the way until the very end. As an agnostic, I may indeed be unable to render judgement on whether god exists, but I can certainly state whether I believe something or not.

@TheMiddleWay: I'll go halfway with you again. I can't state that I believe something. I CAN state that I do not believe something.

My position is not that no gods exist. My position is that the claim of Gods existence should be rejected until such time as there is evidemce to support the claim.

You're right, but I think you're in for a long wait.

Which is why I think atheists do not "not believe in god(s)." They KNOW there are no deities in the same way we know there are no fairies, great pumpkins or Santa Claus. All evidence to the contrary is enough sometimes to know the continued search for such evidence will be futile. I am an atheist because I KNOW there are no supernatural deities.

When 20 some six year olds can be shot to death in an elementary school, or when I see children with cancer. I see no God in that. I see no God anywhere.

jdpunk Level 3 Oct 17, 2017

Atheism is not the assertion that there is no god. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. If you lack belief in a god (which you appear to), then you are an atheist, plain and simple. Gnostic and agnostic are qualifiers used to describe theist and atheist. Technically, you are in fact an atheist, even if you don't realize it. Specifically, you would be an agnostic atheist, meaning you lack belief in a god but don't claim to know that one doesn't exist. Agnostic and gnostic aren't really separate categories; they're sub-categories of atheist and theist.

I like your answer. Here is my take on why I can't believe in a god. I believe that we are intelligent animals ( well most of us) ones with a sense of self, a thinking animal with the largest brain pan and brain, given our size. The chimps and great apes come close, but we humanoids have the ability to anticipate and foresee the future and know that we will like all humans, die at some future date. It might be argued that chimps and the great apes may have the same ability, and perhaps they do. But here is the difference, we have gods, and as far as I, or the scientists know, at least for the time being, we don’t think chimps do. So it begs the question, why us? Is there a god or is this a construct we create? I think the answer is straightforward; it is within our nature to imagine a god or gods, because It is a coping mechanism. We know we will die, and because it is hard to accept the fact that we too will go back to nothingness as will our loved ones, so in order to keep our sanity and as a means of coping with this horror, we create a god and afterlife. In other words, there is no god without man, god didn’t create us, we created him/her. This makes life bearable, especially so in man’s early going, during those dark hard days, when life was short and brutal. As we advanced over time, became educated, understood thru science how things, nature and the universe works, developed labour saving devices and found free time to learn and grown intellectually, many of us have evolved to the point where we see religion, with all its contradictions and hypocrisy for what it really is, an imagined construct to get us thru the night, a night light if you will, to scare off the devil or the boogey man under your bed. My contention is supported by the fact that religion especially prospers in those poor parts of the world or the country where education is lacking, superstitious runs rapid, and life is hard and brutal. For the poor and the oppressed god and an afterlife makes life bearable, just like it did in the dark past. For the better educated and more free minded, those not held back by religion teachings and traditions, they are equipped to study the genesis of beliefs and religions, to see their fault lines, their lack of logic and hypocrisy, and are better able to form their own beliefs about the nature of man and his need for god, or not.

Seriously, more non-theists choose "nothing" or "agnostic" on surveys, than those who choose "atheist". If you have no belief a god exist, not a belief gods do not exist, it's you that's simply an agnostic, and doesn't know it.

This came first ...

"Agnosticism is of the essence of science, whether ancient or modern. It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe." ~ Thomas Huxley, 1884

^Fully covered belief. He was a scientist. His ism amounts to a form of demarcation. No objective testable evidence = a subjective unfalsifiable claim. Results: unscientific and inconclusive. No belief as to the truth, or falsehood, of the claim. Incompatible with theism, a belief a god exists. Incompatible with narrow definition atheism, a belief no gods exist.

This came later, fully acknowledged it was new, fully acknowledge it was hijacking the agnostic position into atheism ...

"In this interpretation an atheist becomes: not someone who positively asserts the non-existence of God; but someone who is simply not a theist. Let us, for future ready reference, introduce the labels ‘positive atheist’ for the former and ‘negative atheist’ for the latter.

The introduction of this new interpretation of the word ‘atheism’ may appear to be a piece of perverse Humpty-Dumptyism, going arbitrarily against established common usage. ‘Whyever’, it could be asked, ‘don’t you make it not the presumption of atheism but the presumption of agnosticism?’" ~ Antony Flew, 1984

And, "agnostic atheist" doesn't describe a specific position, even using your definitions. An agnostic weak/negative atheist, with no belief or knowledge either way? Or, an agnostic strong/positive atheist, who believes no gods exist, but doesn't claim to know?

I respectfully disagree. I started calling myself an atheist when I came to believe that humans invent religions to help them cope with reality and I do believe that there are no gods. I am not lacking a belief and it kind of low-key bothers me when people say I'm 'lacking' something because of my viewpoint. I am ok with using the word belief. As much as I feel as if I know that there are no gods, no one can truly know any of that. Therefore, I feel, for me, that it only makes sense to have the humility to call that a belief. Just my take on it, but I'll keep an open mind.

The absolute lack of proof.

No evidence for a god. None. Simple as that.

Right you are, but it can be argued that there is no evidence that there isn't a god. This is a circular argument. You don't give any support or reason for not believing, sorry to disagree with your stance, but as an agnostic, I am looking for answers.

I have a talking unicorn, but no one else can see it. You just have to believe me.

The burden of proof is on me for trying convince you I have a talking unicorn. The burden of proof is not on the person saying talking unicorns don't exist.

Just because you can't prove something is false, doesn't make it possible or true.

There has been nothing in 56 years of life that has lead me to believe in the existence of God. Truthfully, I find the idea unbelievable and the opposite of how The natural world is. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I find it funny how we read our children fairy tales explain how they’re not real, but we’re expected to believe that the fairytales of God Are real? And yes I say fairytales. They follow the same premise.

Punch Level 4 June 2, 2018

So far, all known gods are made by egocentric males. It is just common sense that no such gods exist.

Religious people use the "common sense" argument too. That's not a real argument.

I have always been deeply mistrustful of 'common sense' as a justification for anything. It's frequently misused, and often wrong.

The structure of the question is wrong tho. The real question would be: What makes you believe a deity exists? Because people naturally doesn't believe things don't about, so by default we all don't believe in anything until we are told something.

Seems you understand the essence of the question, after all. So, what would be your answer? you believe that no god, no God The Father, no Allah, no god in whatever form or make exist?

Lack of evidence and since I was tried to be brainwashed by the Christian bible, there is no way that God exist! He's petty and just ridiculous.

It is not my responsibility to prove the non existence of God. It is their responsibility to prove that he does exist. One of my requirements in doing this is that they can't use the Bible as proof.

You wrote 'there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not.'

Saying there isn't enough evidence appears to imply the existence of SOME evidence that god exists.

Feel free to post the evidence, I really want to see it.

There is no evidence for or against, just human logic, logic that leads me to believe that there isn't a god. Here's my take on why not:I believe that we are intelligent animals ( well most of us) ones with a sense of self, a thinking animal with the largest brain pan and brain, given our size. The chimps and great apes come close, but we humanoids have the ability to anticipate and foresee the future and know that we will like all humans, die at some future date. It might be argued that chimps and the great apes may have the same ability, and perhaps they do. But here is the difference, we have gods, and as far as I, or the scientists know, at least for the time being, we don’t think chimps do. So it begs the question, why us? Is there a god or is this a construct we create? I think the answer is straightforward; it is within our nature to imagine a god or gods, because It is a coping mechanism. We know we will die, and because it is hard to accept the fact that we too will go back to nothingness as will our loved ones, so in order to keep our sanity and as a means of coping with this horror, we create a god and afterlife. In other words, there is no god without man, god didn’t create us, we created him/her. This makes life bearable, especially so in man’s early going, during those dark hard days, when life was short and brutal. As we advanced over time, become educated, understood thru science how the universe works, developed labour saving devices and found free time to learn and grown intellectually, many of us have evolved to the point where we see religion, with all its contradictions and hypocrisy for what it really is, an imagined construct to get us thru the night, a night light if you will, to scare off the devil or the boogey man under your bed. My contention is supported by the fact that religion especially prospers in those poor parts of the world or the country where education is lacking, superstitious runs rapid, and life is hard and brutal. For the poor and the oppressed god and an afterlife makes life bearable, just like it did in the dark past. For the better educated and more free minded, those not held back by religion teachings and traditions, they are equipped to study the genesis of beliefs and religions, to see their fault lines, their lack of logic and hypocrisy, and are better able to form their own beliefs about the nature of man and his need for god, or not.

To some, the beauty we see and perceive is evidence. And the love humanity is capable to show one another. And the miracle of life, and evolution, and water, and ... that. But looking for a proof for God is a bit like a fish looking for the evidence of water. Only more so. Is this omnipresent God is indeed omnipresent, how can we step outside it to observe it?

@billins I would contend that the "problem of evil" (Cf the video of Mr Fry posted earlier) constitutes evidence of god's absence.

I feel that god or higher powers began when there was no explanation available. Now that we know more, I think we have outgrown gods.

NickyD Level 3 July 18, 2018

Have yet to see any evidence a deity exists = atheist. I think the main difference between atheists and agnostics is that one has completely let go of a notion, while one is keeping hope.

I can say that there is absolutely NO evidence that there is a God. Only based on superstition and a need to explain the unexplainable without doing the work to find out one way or the other. Science is hard and requires people with the most serious minds and intellect. Religion is easy. Just believe everything the Clergy tells you.

A. There isn't enough evidence to suggest that there is a deity running things.

B. I refuse to believe in any deity that lets the kind of injustice and inequality that goes on in the world every day.

I get it, but that doesn’t prove that there isn't a god. Those who believe in god, say he gives us free will and doesn't interfere, so we are back at the start. Here’s what I think, for what it’s worth; I think god is a creation of man as a means of coping with a hard and cruel life. It makes life bearable knowing that a much better place awaits you in an afterlife. You will find god alive and well among the poor, uneducated, and most superstitious of peoples, but not so much among the better educated and well-off who see the lies, hypocrisy and hate on which religion thrives. Religion is like a night light for scaring off the bogey man under your bed, and it’s a promise of a better, happier afterlife once this horrible one comes to an end. If you do believe in god, but displease him you will be sent to burn in hell for ever and ever without end, but keep in mind, god loves you.

@billins There is proof that god doesn't exist as an all knowing, all powerful and all good single being. The evil in the world argument.

Anyway, who cares? Atheists don't believe in god. We don't need a reason to not believe in an illogical, unscientific concept that is totally unsupported by facts. I also don't believe in Santa Claus. Do you ask me why not?

Do you ask theists why they believe in god? There is no evidence for it.

We A-theists are not A-Deists... A-theists has the same approach as agnostics when thinking of a Supercreator may exists. But even if it exists (or not) we know it does not interfere in people life. (Where the name anti theism comes from this spot)
And this is where we are differencing with agnostics. Agnostics should say " we do not have enough evidence so it may interfere with human life etc.." (which means theistic gods or religions may be true and may be not.) But we atheist know that is all some myth. And there is no maybes when it comes to think about theistic gods.
In conclusion; No theistic gods exists. But deistic ones ( creation of known universe or the creator) may exists.

Tolga Level 2 Oct 9, 2017

I totally agree. We all should rely on our own instincts of good, as humans with intellect common sense and empathy could create a wonderful world for all to live!!!

I reckon agnostics are just sitting on the fence.
A real atheist doesn't even recognize it as a valid question.
To say that nobody can KNOW that there is no God, falls into the trap of taking the concept seriously. If you can't KNOW that there is no God, then you can't KNOW that you're alive, you can't KNOW that you are not a simulation running on a super-computer, you can't KNOW that your head isn't constructed out of sewing needles. See where it ends up? You can make up any kind of garbage you like, and then say that you can't KNOW that it isn't true,.... but it's all still based on the same logical flaw.
For me,.. ANYTHING which needs to be believed is automatically false. For all intents and purposes, in a real world, things simply are true or not. And belief in a fantasy sky fairy is no different to believing that you are a fish.

You have it a little backwards. The idea of something, like a deity, needs to be proven.
Also, in order for there to be data to experiment against to test an idea, there has to be some kind of foundation. Can't prove liquitheriumoson (made up element for example) doesn't exist if there are no data to even give rise to the idea that it might.

Well said, Hitch!

What makes you believe no werewolves exist?

You can't provide any empirical evidence to prove the non-existence of something, as that isn't how science works, yet no one actually believes that shape-shifting lycanthropes inhabit our world. Why do you think that is? Do you think you could conclusively state that werewolves don't exist, and if so, why does that not apply to things such as gods?

There is literally more evidence that we are being visited by aliens than gods.

craige Level 4 July 22, 2018

That statement is equally dicey but I like it! There's absolutely no definitive proof of aliens, ghosts, gods and unicorns. Some people believe despite the evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.