Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It all comes down to what you think a god is and one of the more basic attributes would be supernatural otherwise you are just a cargo cultist making a god out of ordinary members of a more advanced civilization.
Now while I don't pretend the human race knows everything there is to know or even that we are the most advanced civilization in the universe, statistically unlikely, I am sure everything out there is natural whether we understand it or not. Given that you end up with no choice but to be an atheist.

Kimba Level 7 Jan 1, 2018
  1. Look through a telescope and contemplate the billions of stars and millions of galaxies (thank you, Carl Sagan). What consciousness could encompass all that?
  2. There is absolutely no empirical evidence.
  3. Our capacity to enter altered states of consciousness has given rise to various explanations for our experiences while in that state. The process and phenomena experienced when entering altered states is fairly consistent for any practitioner. This gave rise to shamanic beliefs and practices (proto-religion) that in turn gave rise to religion. Simply put - a person's visions or spiritual enlightenment or sense of God is nothing more than them running around neural networks in their brain they don't normally have access to in an awake state of consciousness.

It depends on the attributes of a divine being. If the divine being is unlimited in attributes: all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good, etc, then I disbelieve such a being or beings exist because of evil and suffering. To have the power to prevent such suffering, to have the knowledge to prevent it, and supposed to be compassionate enough not to want people to suffer is sufficient reasons for preventing evil and the resulting suffering. The fat that evil and suffering exists indicates that no such being exist because such a being would be guilty of severe negligence. As for the limited beings-none have given me compelling reason to believe that any of them exist. So I lack a belief based on a lack of evidence.

I can only say that IF there is a god, or gods, why did he stop showing himself to the world? Why be so hard to know? In Genesis, in one place there is a mention of more than one god. Of course, that isl the Bible which was written in the Iron Age. There is no absolute factual written (or otherwise) explanation for the beginning. We can only wonder - how did something become created out of nothing? Although I did listen to a conversation with Lawrence Krauss and a lady discuss this vry topic. Look it up on YouTube - maybe you can understand it. I couldn't!

PEGUS Level 5 Dec 31, 2017

I can't say no god(s) exist. I can say I see no scientific evidence of a loving 'father' who is the slightest bit interested in me or anyone else. I wish there were an afterlife where all is beautiful and happy. I would love,beyond belief, to be able to see my deceased son again. But, it sounds like a fairytale to me and just about as believable.

PEGUS Level 5 Dec 31, 2017

The bible has been written and edited by the catholic church translated from several languages by people who believe the earth is flat and is the center of the universe , If there was a god I don't believe he'd want anybody killing his creation in his name or care about how he was being worshiped .

Human inequality , the size of the universe a book of stories by people rideing donkies

How is this still a question for us? It is clear that gods were created by people, endowed with human traits, and were formed in the image of the people's that created them. Gods do exist!! They are human constructs. We still do this, though our super heroes have more technological construct than the "Great Shepherd". Think Batman and Ironman! Gods exist! They are human constructs! Holy deity bashing, Batman. Can we agree on this and move on. We really need to move on. Mars, the universe, world peace, are waiting for us!

You phrased that question the wrong way around.

Nothing "makes me believe no deity exists". Something would have to make me believe a deity DOES exist.

You can't prove a negative, and I wouldn't try. But I don't have to. Theists have to prove their case, if they want me to join their side.

There is absolutely no physical or emperical evidence of a god, I am a man ruled by logic and logic has no room for a magic man in the sky.

Google "violence in the name of god" and google "violence in the name of the scientific method". Get back to me.

The burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. Believing in nothing is not a belief, it's lack of such. A humorous explanation of that... collecting stamps is a hobby; not collecting stamps is not a hobby.

That is the starting point for the discussion (partly because proving that something doesn't exist is nearly impossible. Try to prove that there is not a unicorn somewhere in the world..)

Next comes the proposition that there is a deity. As typically presented, this is not a claim that can in any way be proven analytically. It's not a testable hypothesis, so science cannot be used. .

So, to summarize, atheists aren't sure their isn't a god out of belief or faith, they simply haven' been convinced by the argument presented by theists. That's why I don't believe in Loki, Chinnamasta, Pan, Ishtar, Cronus, Sheela Na Gigs, Baron Samedi, Dionysus, etc, etc, etc.

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

I have no belief that a deity exists, thus this is a non question.
The onus of proof is on the person who holds that there is a deity.

It doesn't make sense that any deity exists. There is no way a made-up god could ever exist.

There is a short poem written by Ian Anderson on the back side of Jethro Tull's Aqualung album that I think is an apt description of who and what god is,in short man invented god so we would have someone to blame his mistakes and shortcomings on.

@slinkie59 The fault lies not in our stars dear Brutus but in ourselves , that we are underlings

The same reasoning that tells me that Santa Claus doesn't exist

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I like to think of agnosticism as a 'cowardly atheist.' Not as an insult but as you already realize, there really is no evidence for any of the nonsense that has been around for millenia. Do you say agnostic because of fear "what if they're right?" There is no other comprehensible reason I can think of to waste any more time being concerned with the whole idea.Certainly if such a deity existed it would- being so egotistical- be doing a speaking tour that would make Trump look humble!

I grew up in the Episcopal church with parents who nominally believed. We would have dinner table discussions about anything and everything but you had better be able to defend your position. It was also a gift that both of my parents admitted they were wrong which was huge when I grew up and saw how unusual that was. We were raised to read, to learn, to observe and to question. We were taught how to take care of ourselves in the bush and to take care of the bush.

With this background, religion and it's "Because I said so." type of background never really had a chance.

Never seen one. Never heard from one. No evidence to support the existence thereof. World will be gone in 4.5 billion years...what happens to a so called god then?

I am an atheist because i don't belief a god exist. Who came up with the concept anyways? I'm not agnostic because I also don't believe in dragons fairies, slender man, big foot or anything else that makes no sense. Are you an agnostic of those claims as well or do you not think about it? what about the claims you haven't heard yet? are you Agnostic towards claims you haven't heard?

Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. The theistic answer involves a supreme being (That comes from where?) that looks us over all the time, who has a plan, while we have free will. That conveniently doesn't actually show up anymore. If you look at all that, and compare it to the idea that life evolved, you realize that life evolving is a more probable and simpler answer.

Is not that I believe there is no gods what makes me an atheist. Is that I haven't found a reason to believe there are gods.

By this same argument then, you must allow for the existence of the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Bigfoot. The scientific method cannot prove non-existence. But we can say that people have been trying to prove a deity's existence for thousands of years, and not a shred of evidence has been produced by this effort. It is certainly reasonable to conclude therefore that there is no deity.

Science. And rational though.

Because theists have not met their burden of proof. In the same way that I do not believe unicorns and the Loch Ness monster exist.

If you tell me you have an invisible dragon in your garage, it is up to you to provide the evidence that you do. It is not my job to prove that you do not.

because what is the purpose of a god, is it just so we can bow down to him and make him feel good, if there was a god then it is an attention seeking fool. maybe years ago when humans where scared that the crops would fail or the sun wouldnt rise,i can understand why they worried and prayed. what
do we even need a god for.how can that benifit me in anyway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.