Agnostic.com

15 2

Have you ever really asked yourself what makes you happy?

Marine 8 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Accepting myself as I am.

Yes, and it is my love of learning, laughing and exploring!

I make myself happy. An ebullient optimist, I have fun every day.

Helping other people
Hugs
Love
Exercise
Reading
Laughing
Witty banter
Great sex
Hiking
Nature
Mountains
Alpine lakes
Jagged mountain peaks
Jazz
Playing flute
Taking photos
Volunteering

I recall that when I was about seventeen years old I read The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell. The book certainly caused me to be more reflective with regard to what might constitute happiness. It seems to me that any notion of happiness is inextricably linked to our perceptions which require a review from time to time.

"Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults."
Thomas Szasz

I think that when we are happy, regardless of why we feel happy, we seldom question the feeling of being happy or what caused us to feel happy. However, we may devote an inordinate amount of time trying to fathom why we are unhappy.

I have, and as long as my health holds out, I'm happy now. All I needed was a lovemuffin, and I found one.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 31, 2018

I find happiness in a glass of wine, my favorite music, staring at beauty, and a lot of simple things like that. But I haven't been through a situation like the one you are going through, so I don't know if all those things would work with an ill health, I am sorry.

Striving to put right what once when wrong, and hoping the next leap...will be the leap home! (And striving to determine beauty, truth, goodness, and wisdom. Always curious. Always curious.)

This is essentially a large part of my ongoing practice as a Buddhist. More like, Does this make me happy?

There's the question of the day

I did, but that part of myself isn't talking to me. It's mad that my life is going nowhere, and I won't stop and ask for directions.

I make me happy. Depending on other people to make one happy is an exercise in futility,

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 31, 2018

Every damn day, because I am worth it!

No. I take it as it comes, and appreciate whatever it is in the moment.
I've learned not to spend too much time over-analyzing things.
It helps nothing. At least not for me.

Good question though. I'm sure you will get plenty of varying answers.

Yes, and my answer still holds.

I thought I knew what would make me very happy but it took illness to make me realize what was really important to me. It wasn't wealth or position it was health not only for myself but for my family and friends and even my pets which I treat like family. I realized that without health U were unable to support your family or really enjoy that which you did have. No one really places a true value on health until it is missing.

Fifteen years of debilitating chronic pain and disability taught me this in ways that will never leave me.

@stinkeye_a Sorry you endured this pain but
I know exactly how you feel. it is going on 40 years of pain I just learned to accept as normal

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.