Agnostic.com

6 12

Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity

After hearing poet David Whyte interviewed on National Public Radio last week, I have been reflecting on his line:

"Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity."

This is true of all relationships with ourselves, children, friends, lovers, spouses, pets, home and the Earth. "Familiarity breeds contempt," people say.

Your thoughts?

Everything is Waiting for You by David Whyte

Your great mistake is to act the drama
as if you were alone. As if life
were a progressive and cunning crime
with no witness to the tiny hidden
transgressions. To feel abandoned is to deny
the intimacy of your surroundings. Surely,
even you, at times, have felt the grand array;
the swelling presence, and the chorus, crowding
out your solo voice You must note
the way the soap dish enables you,
or the window latch grants you freedom.
Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity.
The stairs are your mentor of things
to come, the doors have always been there
to frighten you and invite you,
and the tiny speaker in the phone
is your dream-ladder to divinity.

Put down the weight of your aloneness and ease into
the conversation. The kettle is singing
even as it pours you a drink, the cooking pots
have left their arrogant aloofness and
seen the good in you at last. All the birds
and creatures of the world are unutterably
themselves. Everything is waiting for you.

[cottertherealdeal.blogspot.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another aspect of the meaning: Ritual versus routine. Ritual is sacred and never is cliche'. Routine is numbing.

Very true. If we really care the people with whom we have close relationships, we become more and more ware of their actions, their gestures, their postures, their facial expressions their words and what they all portray. That enables us to sense their sadness and comfort them, their discomfort and help them to alleviate it, and their joy and share it with them.That, indeed, is the glue which binds us more and more closely together.

I so like and agree with this!

I'd say familiarity breeds closeness.

I so look forward to your postings! I too heard the interview and while I was moved by the thoughts and their presentation, I must admit to being unsure as to my thoughts is response. For one to remain alert to all that has become familiar?

Admirable. And daunting. In the end I think it really comes down to others perception of our efforts to be present. All but the truly altruistic among us would be hard pressed to remain alert in the face of unending ignorance.

@TimothyJ

What a nice thing to say! Thank you.

Glad you were also moved by the interview with David Whyte. I have been reflecting on what he said. Hugs.

@LiterateHiker I like you.

@TimothyJ

Thank you! Ditto.

Kathleen

One of my favorite poems from one of my favorite poets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255929
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.