Agnostic.com

12 3

Genetic History

Has anyone here had their DNA profile done? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your story. Particularly interested in your haplogroups.

evidentialist 8 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't be bothered; I like the rest of you am a member of the same species Homo sapiens sapiens.

My husband and I did it. Came out as we expected... both of us have different percentages of Great Britain, French/Germanic and a small percent of mixes within Eastern Europe. I was really hoping to have some African because my father has always been a racist bigot and I am just mean enough that it would have been nice to throw it in his face... but alas and alack, no such luck. LOL

That is unfortunate. Thanks for the response.

100% European, Italian and Slavic

I don't trust putting my DNA in the mail. I also don't think my cultural of nationalistic background defines who or what I am

This begs two questions. First, what concerns you about providing a sample in the mail? Two, though I understand all that is involved in defining who you are as a personality has little to do with DNA, are you not in the least curious about what genes you may carry that can affect you in other ways?

I'm paranoid- don't want it to end up in the hands of a mad scientist who could create multiple versions of 'me' or worse. One is enough. I'm a little curious, but I'm pretty certain that I'm going to find that many other nationalities, other than those I know about, exist in my DNA, so I don't really worry about it.

I've done it and it helped me finally get resolution to my dad's family history. He was in my life until he died and was married to my mom and everything, he just didn't talk about his family much. I'm 53% Scandanavien, 16% Irish, 16% Iberian Pen. (not sure if Spanish or Portuguese), 5% British, 5% Russian, 4% Southern European (Greek/Italian), and <1% Middle Eastern. I've managed to track my family's history on his side to about 1500s I think (might be 1600s). It's given me some closure to stuff. I've never heard of haplogroups that's interesting.

My daughter was interested so we got hers for her birthday. I learned that I am 97% European mostly from Great Britain and my wife is 99% SE Asian. Not much we didn’t already know.

gearl Level 8 Oct 31, 2017

Yes, I've had it done and find it both interesting and informative.. The matches with haplogroups and the percentages of the match give a pretty clear picture of when and where crossing of groups occurred. Both for that information and for inherited disease tendencies, it is definitely worh it.

Haven't done it, but I'm fascinated by genetics and history. Would not make any difference to how Identify now, because that is cultural. Genetic history is just that,a history.

Had mine done---99.9% European.

One of my uncles had it done. Part of it said that he is 4% neanderthal, so I also like to think that I am as well.

@pfreddie62 Why are you ignoring Homo floresiensis, Devonians and the two other Homo species that show up in our genome in Polynesians and peoples from the Tibetan Plateau not to mention the unknown species found in the genome of african although there is some speculation that it maybe Homo Erectus.

No, not done that, but have a reasonably good idea of my genealogy already.

My haplogroups are:

Maternal: H1

Paternal: R - L47

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.