Agnostic.com

2 2

Why Does Salt Make Food Taste Better?...

phxbillcee 10 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First of all, salt is one of the substances you can really "taste". Your tongue can only taste salt, sweet, bitter and sour. Everything else is "flavor" and mediated by the sense of smell. Traumatic head injury is a common cause of the loss of sense of smell. A person who looses the sense of smell will complain about not being able to "taste" food. It's the combination of tasting the salt with the tongue's taste buds while also processing the flavor. Besides, sodium is an essential electrolyte. The body doesn't "waste" sodium like it does potassium, so there's no need, under normal circumstances, to overdo it.

Explains why as a peanut butter fanatic, i hate salt free peanut butter.

"free"??

@phxbillcee Damn autocorrect! I should turn it off but, I am an atrocious speller.

@HeathenFarmer Try Grammarly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25693
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.