Agnostic.com

45 26

So I posted something earlier that I took down because my intentions were being misunderstood. I mentioned that I felt awkward being on here seeking friends and community when it feels more like a dating site. I think the way I worded it made it sound judgemental, but in truth, I was only judging my own feelings. I am married and a friend looked over my shoulder today and wanted to know why I was on a dating site. I said it isn't just for that, and told her that I mentioned my husband in my profile and posts. I am also in a weird state of limbo right now in my life, so trying to not muddy my waters. I have chatted with some awesome folks on here. I like that. I am trying to decide if I belong here. What the hell does it even mean to belong someplace? #ExistentialCrisis

ShakenManChild 5 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find this humorous since there are so many other posts to the contrary (this is not a dating site)

Maybe it is the lovely script selected for "Agnostic.com" or the dark purple colour theme or icon of a heart in the "about" tab that gives onlooker the impression this is a site designed to "Find Love"?

Take what you need and leave the rest. If you have good conversations with people, relish in that.

I came here to date but stayed for the stimulating conversations and comments. I have felt free to openly answer questions on here in a way that I couldn’t in person. I guess it feels like a massive support group for me. Ironically I have met someone on a mainstream dating site!

It may be advertised as a dating site, but it is so much more than that

I didn't join for the dating, I joined because so many atheists are afraid to come out, and I was intrigued by the idea of an agnostic site. I have had a few dates, but by far have enjoyed the scientific banter more!

It is simply a social networking site for non believers. Nothing to be ashamed of

I kinda understand what you mean... mind you I'm single so I don't really worry about what people might think of this site. I'm here hoping to find like minded people who don't give me the usual face when I say I'm atheist. But I get a lot of friends who believe or just assume that this is a dating site.

I don't remember exactly how I found this website. Since I'm Agnostic and have had within the past few years interactions with "believers" that were frustrating, irritating, and aggravating, all I wanted was a space where I could find like minded people. I've been able to speak my mind here. Welcome. Yes, you might find someone to date here, yet I don't think that's the main mission of the administrators.

make it whatever you want. I think you can tell from all the comments you have gotten, you are good to go here.

I must say i have not felt that this is anything like a dating site - maybe that is because i'm not looking - have you read the comments to your question? - it's about like minded people and community

We finally accepted the fact that we ain't ever getting laid so we made up a bunch of flowery bullshit about how mature and thoughtful we are because after about two visits the broads here realized all the men here can be summed up in two words.
You ugly. 😉

I am open to dating if someone compatible comes along whether online or offline but I am on this site simply because it is non religious.

I can have discussions about all kinds of things without it being peppered with religious crap.

I like your honesty and I don't use this place as a dating site - didnt even know it could be, but given that we are 'settled' on that score the bigger part of it is getting on with people an d trying to understand other peoples ways and thinking and it seems to me anyone who decides they like it here can belong here . I love it because there is a whole world out there i know very little about so its learning for me -Hope you give us another chance!

It was advertised as a dating site, but on joining I was immediately struck by how unlike a dating site it actually was. I've found it's a great online community in its infancy. It reminds me so much of another site I belonged to many years ago--a site where I met many wonderful people that became real life friends. Yes, I'm single, and I would not object to dating people I meet here, but as soon as I joined that became a tertiary goal.

d_day Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

I’ve only seen a few posts related to dating. This site seems to be a forum to discuss things you wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing on Facebook. Unlike most sites, I don’t feel judged here.

Marz Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

My first interest here was a place where someone with agnostic/atheist feelings could talk with like minded people. THEN I found out that one of the primary purposes was that of a dating site. Being "in Search Of", to steal from Leonard Nimoy, that is not an issue with me... though, fact is, I really think I want to find someone local and just haven't found anyone local I am interested in, yet. The reason I bring this up is that I seem to find mutual interests that are quite remote.

I personally have been on just a few dating sites so far and am frustrated with them. While I am open to possibly finding a date here, this site to me is first and foremost a community for non-religious folks to share thoughts and find support. I haven't had a single date from here yet. Lol

I'm hoping this is a safe space to avoid Jesus freaks.

Oh! I honestly thought this was a site for a variety of things. Wow, people can be judgemental. More of a community for people without a religion to come to feel safe. That’s what it feels like to me.

So far the site hasn’t reached sufficient mass to work very well as a dating site. But the conversation is interesting and benefits from varied points of view. Your profile can be set to show that you are interested in meeting people or not. If you want to talk openly about your non-theist beliefs, or about anything without the judgy religious views, then yes, you belong here. Please bring enough pie for everyone!

This site "feels" to me like a discussion site with a dating option. Because I don't participate in the dating option, the only time I'm reminded about that aspect is when someone posts something dating-related. Otherwise, I forget.

As to "belonging" to an online community... I think of it like a buffet. I either find enough of what I like and keep coming back, or I don't. If the establishment is poorly run, or the other patrons sufficiently unruly, I'll bail. If I happen to make friends, fine--but that's not why I came. I came for the food.

You are welcomed as a fellow discussant and opinion sharer. Unfortunately, on any medium, there are always a few men who are moral idiots who try to hit on any woman they hope might be vulnerable in some way. Most of us men are simply more than willing to simply accept you as one of us.

You have the option of being open to meeting people on your profile, I feel it is yes for dating and no if you are not here to date. The site is mostly discussions, yet I think it is nice that people can be open to dating also.

I like the community regardless, and that the option to let others know you're open to dating is there. I've read many of the pay dating sites run scams to keep you paying (phony accounts feigning interest).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.