Agnostic.com

14 1

How many languages do you speak? How well do you speak them, and can you write in them too?

I speak 3 (English, German, Japanese), can read 4ish (English, German, Medical Latin, and Dutch) and fluent in swearing in a shitton more.

ScientistV 7 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

English and German, proficient. Spanish, everyday things (I live in Spain). French - 2-3 years school knowledge and a little practice in Liége. I also speak bullshit but I really despise it.
I can understand Dutch (but I think everyone can).
And I did try to learn Hebrew a long long time ago in an Israeli Kibbutz. But that is all gone.

I find Dutch easy to read but hard as shit to hear/speak because they pronounce germanic looking words soooooo differently!

English and binary.

10 types of people in this world...

2: American English and British English

Ah, simplified and traditional.

English--my native language, German--conversational, movies, tv, news, but not native proficiency; rather rusty after 30+ years since I was in Germany as an exchange student. I have acquired a baby smidge of Spanish over the years. I might comprehend an eighth of what I hear. Meh. But I love the musicality and rhythm of Spanish.

I work with contractors so I can read redneck.

I speak / read / write two very well...one even perfectly: Spanish and English. I can communicate in Italian and some French.

I am planning to tae lessons -again- in Italian.

4...Portuguese...English...Spanish...Italian... Trying to learn French...

schoolgirl french - I have a friend in france we have never met in person but we both have the same unusual name and we write on Facebook. I can get by clumsily in German have, O level Latin no romans left to converse with sadly.

English and German fluently, Spanish upper intermediate, Latin the tiny bit I remember from school.
Failed attempts so far to learn Farsi (????? ??????), Japanese (I can remember, like, 3 Kanji), and Bulgarian.

Ugh this site apparently does not allow arabic or other non-latin characters 😟

You @ScientistV had the advantage of growing up in Holland. I have a 92 you Dutch friend who watches the news each morning swapping between English, French, German, Dutch, Indonesian, Malay, Thai and for his laughs Australian. He recently had great pleasure telling a Malaysian exchange student that the local hospital's nurse in charge of her training and standing next to her was an ignorant red necked moron who would not be employed but for her cunnilingual abilities on the hospital matron. Naturally he told her these facts ts in Malay. Were your parents multilingual speakers in the home? Pardon my ignorant monolingual ability but what is a "shitton more" ?

I am American, I chose to pursue languages and am quasi-ok at teaching myself basics. My family is not multilingual, but my dad tries to learn Spanish and some Italian, my sister knows some Italian (oddly, I know more Italian but never took courses whereas she did.)

Shitton is a kenning for shit and ton, as in “a lot.”

I speak the queens and I'm not great at that.

And profanity

well of course lol

I have enough trouble with English.
Although, I can get myself drunk, swear at you, and get myself in trouble, in French, Spanish, and Italian.

Hahaha

English, the Oz equivalent ok
Strine, heaps dinkum
Deutsch, aber nicht seht gut
others I know a phrase or 2 at best

Of course my mother tongue is Sarcasm.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.