Agnostic.com

24 3

Atheism???

Does anyone think atheism leads to higher consciousness?

sammidenver 4 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Imagine you spent the first part of your life in an insane asylum but then medical science developed a cure for your condition and you were suddenly no longer delusional and could think clearly, so they let you out of the insane asylum but you could still go back and visit the inmates in the asylum from time to time if you wished. That's what it is like when you are no longer religious but you still have religious people in your life, so rather than describe this as a higher consciousness, why not just accept it as being conscious of reality instead of living in a fantasy world?

I doubt that it leads to "higher consciousness" but it is likely to lead to a refinement of thought and a more rational stance and all that that entails with regard to scientific views of the world and beyond to the wider universe.

No. I've met some pretty dumb atheists, both lifetime and deconverts. Atheism simply means we don't believe in God; nothing more. Unfortunately.

Atheism is a gateway drug.

I would say no. It does lead to using more of your brain than the religious fools do.

At the risk of becoming tedious (that never stopped me before)...
it depends on what you mean by atheism and higher consciousness.

When old systems of any kind become embarnacled with mission-drift, error, and corruption, they need to be renewed if they are to continue having any value. The degree to which renovation might be preferred over replacement depends, of course, on how advanced the decay is. But some degree of demolition is going to be needed.

Atheism offers nothing in the way of replacement, or even refurbishment. Atheism is the wrecking crew. Atheism is the jack-hammer that chisels out the residue of false beliefs, enabling arterial flow. The clogged system was already delivering very damned little "higher consciousness". In some very real ways it offered more impediment than assistance.

But when the old structure is torn away, then there is no system at all to accommodate the work of pursuing and achieving anything that resembles authentic consciousness development. The best atheism can contribute is to remove the offending obstruction.

But higher consciousness is not just the absence of rot; it is also the presence of vibrant life. And it doesn't just show up in your Easter basket because you want it, and it's Easter. Regardless of which seasonal mythology we call on, magic will never be the provisioner of our needs. You have to build it. Atheists on this site and elsewhere are quick to remind us that Atheism is only the absence of something; it is not something in and of itself. And as such it cannot qualify as a replacement for anything, only a remover of what was there before.

So if you don't like your house, call the wrecking crew. Have them tear it down; it was filthy, and smelly and it was expensive to keep up. But you still need shelter, and you'll crawl in an abandoned car or a cave or an open sewer before you'll let yourself freeze to death. So you might want to give some thought to how you will meet your needs after the wrecking crew leaves.

The first step is to recognize the rot and tear it out. That's where atheism exits, stage left. Whether one could say that homelessness leads to a new home is a matter of semantics, but step two is building the structure that you really do need. And you really do need a plan and a program and a practice, if you expect your consciousness to ever gain altitude. Atheism doesn't offer that.

Consciousness without delusion is just ordinary consciousness. It's plenty adequate for most folks. But if you want higher consciousness, you have to build it. It's not our "natural" or default state. And it doesn't automatically appear in the absence of delusion.

skado Level 9 Jan 5, 2019

You're analogy is not entirely accurate. Atheism isn't like tearing down a dilapidated home. It's more like tearing down false front of a movie set to expose that there was never any substance. There is no need to replace religion with a different system of spiritual, mystic nonsense. In fact it doesn't make sense to replace myth with more myth.

What your describing isn't the transition from faith to reason, but conversion from one religion to another.

@JimG
No, that’s absolutely not what I’m recommending. Replacing nonsense with nonsense is not progress. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. It is indeed more like a movie set relative to a real house. But 80% of the world’s population lives in movie sets. Tear them down and they will be totally homeless, as far as worldview is concerned. Worldview is our operating system. We can’t function without some kind of operating system. I’m not saying the replacement should be just another myth. It should be based 100% on science. But science is just a bucket of facts. It doesn’t build a worldview for you. You have to do that for yourself. Especially if you want to achieve anything that could rightly be called higher consciousness. Higher consciousness is not mythological. Piaget described the stages of cognitive development in the mid twentieth century. The natural stages end at Formal Operational Stage, and not everyone even masters that one. If you want to go “higher” you have to work at it. It’s not magic.

@skado I confess I hadn't thought of this in terms of levels of consciousness or self-awareness. I was thinking along the new age meaning of higher consciousness or spiritual enlightenment. That's what I was referring to as nonsense.

Depends on what you mean by "higher consciousness".

In a meta sense, your question is really just asking if being an atheist somehow makes you a better person, and of course the answer is "no". No more so than being a believer somehow makes you a better person. One's belief, or lack of beliefs, concerning deities is way too narrow a basis to determine character. In and of themselves, the two things have nothing to do with each other.

Define higher consciousness. If you mean the state of a realistic, satisfied mind, like nirvana, satori, the peace that passeth understanding etc... Maybe with a big asterisk. It removes quite a few impediments and usually accompanies this sense of enlightenment. Perhaps at best it correlates and springs from the same place as a parallel result. I don't think causation really holds up though. Depends on what practices you have in your life to replace religion with. Music, yoga, drumming, martial arts, nature, the net/free info n communication, learning, and caring for others all sort of led to a higher, more global consciousness, and to atheism simulataneously for me.

Atheism's role in the process was mostly just to realize that I can let go of the shame and guilt instilled by religion and get on with life. Definitely helped my consciousness n frame of reference but youve still gotta do a lot of work and introspection to take it to its ideal extent.

Consciousness of reality, over the common myth, so I guess, yes, if one's atheism has come from overcoming religion, but not if one was never indoctrinated. That's just regular consciousness for them. Most atheists have come to their conclusions by thinking, not just believing what is said.

i don't know what everyone else thinks but i don't. it's not a magic thing that leads anywhere. it's just a realization that there aren't any gods. i have seen enough republican and libertarian atheists to know that higher consciousness isn't an inevitable result of that realization... nor should it be. it just is what it is.

g

Atheism is just a word. The question was do you think in your path that lead to atheism. Could then that path lead to a higher consciousness?

@sammidenver atheism is not alone in just being a word. each word we type here is just a word. atheism, like other words, MEANS something. your question didn't ask about a path. it asked about atheism. so NOW you're asking about a path. okay. sometimes. sometimes not. so... not necessarily. my path was to question everything i believed. some beliefs survived and others did not. what survived was a promise i made to myself to reexamine everything periodically, especially as new facts came into play. is that higher consciousness? that's something you haven't defined, and everyone defines it differently. some might think that's what you get when you take lsd. others may say it's a connection with the god of their choice. i don't put a lot of stock in higher consciousness. i've seen too many trumpkins.

g

@genessa I asked 'do you think atheism leads to higher consciousness?' I know I didn't say path, but for me it was a path. Certain things in my life lead to my point in life right now. Conciousness meaning a state if being one with everyone and everything, of being aware. A state of being god, light, nothing, or whatever it may be basically conscious of yourself in the universe we live in. I am constantly examining myself and my life.

@sammidenver for you that's path. okay. you do realize that it doesn't mean that for everyone, and we can't tell by your words that that's what you mean? anyway that does clarify things somewhat. i have a much simpler answer, then, to your question: no, i do not think that atheism leads to higher consciousness. nope. it may be a part of it. it doesn't lead to it. by the way, the state of being god would be the state of not existing, so no, i hope that it doesn't lead to that, but all life leads to not existing anymore, so oh well. nor am i one with everyone and everything, nor will i ever be, nor do i want to be. the thought of being one with, say, donald trump, makes me rather queasy.

g

How about just a more realistic view of how things are?

It certainly removes and impediment.

I kinda assumed it was the other way round.

I don’t think there is a direct link from atheism to higher consciousness.

I agree with @lerlo that higher consciousness can lead to atheism.

I consider it this way:
-> Rational thinking is a superset

-> Atheism is just one subset of that (which can also fall under some other superset, e.g: Communism. But a communist need not be always rational)

-> Why rational thinkers most of the time have to talk about Atheism or God?
Because, God is one of the most popular superstition now.
If it was, say Dracula ?‍♂️ or Satan, rational thinkers would have debated more on them instead of God.

-> Follow Science as it is the best known way we have to seek truth/knowledge. Being scientific can lead to higher consciousness.

In fact, I would like to mention here the phrase ‘Scientific Temper’:
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The term was first used by Nehru, who was the first Prime Minister of India.

It’s a way of life. Don’t just blindly believe or refute any new theory, instead try to understand it more based on observations, repeated experiments and based on the reults decide if it’s right or not or more studies needed.

Let evidence lead you.

But isn't science man made?

@sammidenver: Sounds like a good question, but I am not sure what exactly is it trying to find and how is it related to the original question. What’s good/bad about if science is man made or not?

Anyway, I think ‘Science’ in this question needs more clarity. Let me share my thoughts:

The term Science, the explanations in it etc. are man made, but not the science itself. E.g. consider the Theory of Evolution. The theory was put forward by Darwin (i.e. man made), but evolution and natural selection is not man made. It’s just ‘Natural’, meaning without any agent, just a natural occurrence.

But one can also argue there are man made sciences: e.g. Mathematics: I would say it is just a tool or set of representations. Physics, Chemistry and Biology only are considered as standard sciences. The terms Social Science, Political Science has ‘Science’ in them, but they are not the same as standard science.
Consider Engineering or Computer Science or Rocket Science, they are man made, but just extensions or applications of core science (you may call them Applied Science).

Science tries to explain observations using the best known knowledge available. Science is also constantly evolving, like our culture, food habits, morality etc. It evolves with our knowledge.
E.g.: During Darwin’s time he was having no idea about how the traits were passed to offspring. Later it was found by Mendel and then the whole new branch of Genetics was opened.

So anybody can contribute to it. Meaning it’s not already completely ‘Made’, it’s still in the process of ‘being made’. Understanding this itself is the beauty of science. There is nothing like an ultimate truth and a Science which explains that. If that’s the case we can shutdown all researches, jobs, activities etc. The purpose of science also is not to find anything like that. The more we progress, our surroundings change, we get newer set of problems and so need to look for better solutions again.

Lastly, if you meant to ask: does Science came from atheism and so man made?, my answer is I don’t think so. In fact many scientists were religious. I didn’t mean to convey a wrong message here that they became scientists because of religion. They were grown up in a religious society, so were religious, but ended up finding some scientific facts. I have read that Newton also was religious, wasted most of his time in Alchemy and Biblical Interpretations. Imagine if a genius like him had spent all those time too for actual science, he could have discovered even more in Physics!

@aRationalThinker I like it when you said, "The more we progress, our surroundings change, we get newer set of problems and so need to look for better solutions again."
I started to ask myself, "what are the better solutions?"

I think consciousness is just onsciousness. Consciousness is the same when you are four as when you are a hundred and four, and it is the same for all organisms. We are swimming in consciousness—we ARE consciousness.

We would like to think that we are our bodies, and there are a hundred ways of reinforcing that egotistical delusion and hiding from our true Self : stay drunk, cloud the mind with lies, foster grievances, play the victim, stir up internal fear, wallow in guilt, think only of wealth and power, etc.

If a person finds himself mired in a relgious setting where fear and guilt are fostered and where belief in silly dogm is required, then to analyze all that and declare atheism is a great leap forward IMO. Becoming an atheist leads, not to “higher” consciousness, but to awareness of the consciousness that was there all along, and to freedom.

What is not so apparent is the tendency to cloud the mind with false thoughts about science—to tell ourselves that the universe is made of matter and that reality is handily explained by science. Sit proudly on the golden throne of scientism if you wish, but it is a throne sitting on quicksand. A dose of real science might sink your throne.

Do not leap from the frying pan of religious dogma into the fire of materialistic scientism. Throw away the bath water—keep the baby!

Great response..atheism does lead to an 'awareness and freedom'

So long as “higher” does not mean anything far from more intelligent and realistic consciousness/awareness

Define the parameters of this "higher consciousness" to which you refer.

No, it leads to reality, nothing special.

What do you mean by "higher consciousness"?

Meaning where you stand in the world and interactions with everyone and everything.

@sammidenver The term "higher consciousness" seems to carry metaphysical connotations with it. I live in a real world, not a metaphysical one. Let us leave metaphysics to the mystics and religious ones. Being an atheist simply leaves one more open to reality.

No, not in and of itself.

Nope, higher consciousness leads to atheism.
Did anyone explain to you how to make a poll?

lerlo Level 8 Jan 6, 2019

Yes thanks

Many do. I do not.

Why?

@sammidenver Any kind of mysticism is a cop-out. Embrace observable evidence and reason.

It’s definitely thinking on a higher plain.

Varn Level 8 Jan 5, 2019

depends what you consider higher consciousness? I know religion and belief in fake gods make you think you have higher consciousness but it just how stupid you are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:259276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.