Agnostic.com

10 1

Do you feel like the arts are undervalued in society?

Not particularly talking about pop-singers and actors necessarily. Dancers, artists (I include architects in this group), Writers, etc.

• 26 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel it goes both ways.

Do we insist, consistently, on requiring that our children learn how to make and appreciate art?

Do we insist, consistently, that everyone have free and unfettered access to art?

Are our artists consistently recognized and honored by broader society?

Do our talking heads talk about art?

Can the average citizen in our society name even one period, movement, or school in literature, poetry, visual arts, dance, or music?

There's your answer.

Massively, but then their worth cannot be measured in Reaganomics. Yet another sign that the Chicago School fucked it up. They failed completely to capture the value of artistic endeavour.

Celebrities and artists are too vocal in politics. Listen to cracked's last podcast for some examples of why celebrity is a major problem within politics.

Pop culture and folks striving to be famous while providing no true value to society have hurt the value of the Arts. Being an artist, writer, and the like takes an investment of time and energy to be successful. Too many folks are too lazy and do have an appreciation for the efforts required to create something truly great. People want to be "entertained" not cultured.

Very true. I'm an artist and I see the herd instinct at work!

Art is culture. When you destroy art you destroy culture.

I developed a long and lasting respect for any and all creative ability based on my total lack.

In our society we value people giving each other concussions in a barbaric sport, rather than support art and culture.

Most definitely undervalued in this administtration!

Both the Arts and (Basic) Science are undervalued - by that, I mean government should fund it heavily. Arts makes us more human and science helps us understand how the world works. Basic science is not useful in and of itself, but speaks to our humanity. Here's a moving exchange when Robert Wilson try to get funding for a linear accelerator to understand our world. I feel the same for the arts - it helps our humanity.

SENATOR JOHN PASTORE: Is there anything connected with the hopes of this accelerator that in any way involves the security of this country?
ROBERT R. WILSON: No Sir. I don't believe so.
PASTORE: Nothing at all?
WILSON: Nothing at all.
PASTORE: It has no value in that respect?
WILSON: It has only to do with the respect with which we regard one another, the dignity of men, our love of culture. It has to do with, are we good painters, good sculptors, great poets? I mean all the things we really venerate and honor in our country and are patriotic about. It has nothing to do directly with defending our country except to make it worth defending. (Lederman: The God Particle, pp199)

Geoff Level 5 Mar 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.