Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many of the best arguments AGAINST religion come from learning about it.

A rich curriculum in Eastern and Western Religious Studies, would most certainly benefit our intermediate though early college learners. Youngsters need to be educated in religious philosophy and history prior to becoming enlightened in a specific area. Classical studies that include mythology and history of war in the Middle East should aslo be included.

Think back to what made your education exciting, unique, and engaging? What helped you become the analytical thinker that you are today? As a nation we need to go back to classical education in order to achieve the high levels of science and math that we once had.

No pontification here, just saying ... lol!

No. It's a waste of time and resources. Replace RE with RWE, Real World Education. First aid training, hazzard sign awareness, what to do in the event of a fire or other emergency, healthy living, social skills, debating skills. You know, things that they could actually do with knowing.

As long as they teach ALL religions, including the absence of it. Religion has killed more people than any other cause since the beginning of recorded time. A great wise man once said "The God Argument... the last refuge of a man with no answers and no arguments, it came from God"

Fryan Level 5 Jan 2, 2018

I'm not against teaching of the very basics of what religion is. But every single follower of every religion interprets religious writings differently, so choosing what to teach becomes touchy. Designing the course would be a tough job.

Yes. All of them, with no favoritism.

Definitely NOT!

of course--you just should not be sending your kids there 🙂

I think it should be taught in secular sociological fashion. It is a fact that children will encounter several religions during their life times. Specific theologies should never be taught and would be impossible anyway. To get a clear picture of any belief it has to be explained by actual believers and so would be impossible to teach any of them accurately in a public secular atmosphere.

Absolutely not. Plain and simple.

Its the way that we teach it which should be debated. It is obviously part of our culture (as a species) and we should look at beliefs but also try answer the question why people believe what they do. This might help to bring non belief in to the majority

I don't think religion should be taught in a science class as a way to explain how the natural world works. I do think it has it's place in social studies classes when touching on different cultures around the world. But no single religion should be focused on as the "right one".

I don't think religion should be taught in a science class as a way to explain how the natural world works. I do think it has it's place in social studies classes when touching on different cultures around the world. But no single religion should be focused on as the "right one".

Teach don't preach

Nope.

Oh, hell no.

Yes, all.of them.

No if they do they should have their own place to practice their religion to each their own

depends which religion? seriously I don't believe schools are the right forum for this. religious teaching is a family thing. they have appropriate venues their called churches

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I believe in the separation of church and state. I don't know about schools today; when I was in K-12 grades, what I learned then (with the exception of reading, writing and arithmetic) was seldom applicable after I graduated. More emphasis on life skills would have been more helpful, such as how to apply for a job, for a rental application, the value of getting and sustaining a good credit rating, etc. Also, as a professional mediator, I believe it would have been helpful to have discussions on the nature and value of conflict. If all world leaders were also trained as mediators, there would never be a world war.

Yes... but only that it exists, how, why, and more importantly why it shouldn’t exist.
Of course that’s impossible...
... public education might advance a thousand years, school board would be burned at the stake, marshal law would be the law of the land...

Tomas Level 7 Dec 24, 2017

I managed to get out of school with a qualification in religion without even knowing I was being entered for it.....

no

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

Yes - in history lessons.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.