Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (626 - 650)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In secondary education I think world faiths, including atheism should be taught in the context of promoting critical thinking.

I think it should be taught as an elective subject and maybe As a work of literature under alternative history. It's a pretty good book as long as you think of it as fiction, Kind of like Game of thrones

Religion is better kept aside of Educational institutions. Let the growing Mind get to Think of Themselves and the Humanity

No it should not , it is devicive and serves only to create desperation and devision

Hopefully not

Only as electives in highschool.

World religions should be required in secondary education. Learning how they have shaped and continue to shape the world is imperative to understanding where we are and how we should proceed.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

If I would believe in God, I would have to believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, etc. To me, religion is a way that has been used to control people, but with all the wars that have been fought over religion, it's not working. When I look in the mirror, I see the person who has made my life, a life I can be proud of. Not God, not the EB or SC!

Coming home from work, getting in my jammies, getting in my bed, with my best friend, "my puppy", and watch TV.

No

I wish I could say as much as astrology should be thought. But the truth is many children will be pushed by their parents towards a religion so I think it's best if they get exposed to discussion about multiple religions (including atheist and agnostic) to minimize the damage. Although I think your question is about specific religion, which in that case I think it is a child abuse and a crime to imprint their minds with BS!

Academically

Mabes Level 2 Nov 20, 2017

No way-which religion would be taught? We need to teach our children well/to be all inclusive regardless of race,religion, ethnicity,sexual orientation or disability.

no it shouldn't because there are so many religions if u teach kids a particular religion it affects them and in other places there are teaching a different type humans just get confused by themselves.you Will see someone moving from Christianity to Muslim nand vice versa instead I think biology n science should be taught more and give emphasis on.

No, not at all! School is school, just like work is work where religion shouldn't be talked about at all.

Religions should be discussed in classes on history, psychology, sociology, anthropology - it's an important part of societies. Religion per se should not be taught.

No it should not. If you teach one type of religion then all others would demand to be taught also. If we didn't have religion we would have peace. By the way I can send you a free touch from God for 1.25 that is to cover postage

As an academic subject, yes. I suspect in some districts it'd be hard to teach Christianity with the same detachment and rigor that would be extended to other religions.

Religion does not belong in schools. We might as well teach them astrology and alchemy. Falls in the same realm for me.

no.
schools are there to teach our kids useful life skills, reading, writing, Maths and so on. not to waste time indoctrinating our children with useless metaphysics, teach morals of course but don't claim religion has the moral high ground. The historical importance of religions can not of course be omitted, they have shaped human history and in my opinion not for the better.

No. That is a personal choice and should be between you and your family

No problem with the teaching of religious history in public schools as long as it is not taught as factual doctrine. As an elective, not a requirement. Of course private schools can do whatever they want.

No, only acceptance an understanding of other's beliefs.

No. There are already religious schools for that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.