Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think highschools should have any coursework on religion. Highschool is a place for fundamental education, necessary for everyone. It has to be strictly fact/science based.

Religion and related topics can be part of a higher education which is elective. For instance, pursuit of a degree in Theology.

Keep religion/religious teachings away from children.

They CAN all be taught, but next to each other. Not in a dogmatic way. What the facts are. Who they worship and rituals. But absolutely just the facts. Whatever can be shown demonstrably.

I would not trust people in the US to be responsible about it. Some would use it as an opportunity to tear down or belittle the beliefs of some, and though normally I'd be okay with that, I'm not when psychologically unprepared children are involved. Also, most teachers in the South would use it as cover to evangelize.

I tend to agree with you on this one. When science books can say that Evolution and Natural Selection are 'just theories' and equal to the story of creation in the Bible...we know there is an uphill battle just teaching about religion in a historic and objective way to our nation's kids. Each teacher could choose to 'sabotage' the curriculum if they felt it was 'offensive'. Like pharmacists who won't write prescriptions for birth control.....they let their personal beliefs interfere with secular job duties.

Absolutely not! Let minds be free!

Not unless it’s a private school.

A short class quickly covering all major religions and atheist agnostic and spiritualism.
Chuck in some history of religion.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018

I don't think young minds should be subjected the horrors of the history of religion. Unless they cherry pick it..........Oh wait. They already do that!

Which of the many religions? If someone wants to study comparative religion that is okay. It is also good to study the history of Religion to understand how Church and State can corrupt together and harm people. It should never be taught in a public school as a substitute for science and fact.

Schools should teach Irreligion.

Yes it should. The history of religions and why they need to be abandoned.

Religion was, is and will be for the near future an important power in society, so it is important to understand past religions for history, how it changes and is changed by society, in which historical premises and logic is based, how the main local and world religion wants that their members see the world, how it is different of a scientific view. And how it is used by leaders to dominate public opinion and harness power.
So this stuff should be taught.

Of course not. not in public schools, anyway, paid for with our tax dollars. that violates the separation of church and state. teaching children that religions exist, where they came from, what they mean and how they differ can be taught in schools. that's not the same thing as teaching religion. not teaching religion is not the same as ignoring anything. it's the same as obeying the law. teaching ABOUT religion and teaching religion are not the same thing.

g

Ignoring religion in schools is similar to ignoring the history of human civilization. Keeping children ignorant should not be the role of schools.

I think world religions should be taught in school. Basically a class that explains the origin of religions, the basic tenets of the religion, and the size of the religion. I can tell you as a teacher that nobody wants this to be taught in schools. They want their sect or beliefs taught. If public schools suddenly started teaching religion, there would be such a war over what was taught, that nothing would be taught.

I think a 1-2 week lesson on each major world religion would probably be good. Idiots would at least stop confusing Muslims with Sikhs and have some clarity of their own religion.

I also think kids being exposed to several ONE TRUE GODS might make them question their own monotheism.

I can't see any high school tolerating such a diverse curriculum though.

Perhaps the curriculi include the teaching of humans' tendencies to become addicted to drugs, brands, junk foods, sports and religions.

Yes as a basic exercise in the developement of human society. Religion has and continues to play a massive role in humanity. Understanding it is imperative to working towards a stronger and more open path of discourse.

All religions should be taught in school along with Shakespheare, Milton, and Tolstoy. Teach it as literature like Greek myths.

Only comparative religions. I think an overview of all world religions so everyone had a look at all the religions of the world, and a discussion that includes where you are born will influence which faith or lack thereof you will be exposed to most frequently. Religions are part of history, education is the cure for ignorance. Well, usually.

Only in context of multiple religions in a religion class. Actually had a great presentation in TN where the teacher researched how teachers were sneaking their personal religion into the classroom via non related exercises, art, reading comprehension texts, etc.

I was asked to teach European Cultures in a Chinese university. 80 pages out of a book of 400 were devoted to the bible. I didn't expect that in communist China.
But even within this group the religious influences are stark amongst some members.

No learn that stuff on your own money not mine.

I'm dubious that comparative religion could be taught objectively. I remember studying history and politics in high school which definitely was biased. Many years later in college I realized the curriculum was mostly propaganda.

That is what they have churches for, but they don't seem to want to teach them any facts anywa, or reason. And do not encourage the kids to think for them selves either.

When was the last time you went to a church and they taught you about Judaism, Islam, Buddha, etc.?

@zorialoki 40 years ago and have no plans to go to any of them no mater what type they are all the same,

"One nation under god . . ." was always a part of the pledge of allegiance. I remember as a second grader asking my atheist father why we had to say "god".

He told me it was added during the red scare to essentially differentiate the USA from the godless commies. But even at that age I knew it was all indoctrination.

The "under god" part of the pledge was not there until the mid 50's

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.