Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a World Religion or philosophy class, OK, but not as science.

Maybe. But they should be taught by a nonbeliever. A person such as the late Joseph would be a great religious instructor.

We are taught lies all the time, so who gives shit. I say tell them everything.....That way they can see between the lies!

Along with history and English fiction writing, sure! Perhaps only as part of a law course where religion would have to defend itself for 2000+ years of persecution plus defend it's basic legitimacy. I would be surprised if many lawyers would make it through that with their religion in tact.

absolutely not, separation of church and state. we are already fighting tooth and nail to keep religion out schools. if we let it in, it will end up permeating everything!

We have RE in schools here in England. I used to be against it, but now as a supply teacher I see the effect it has on the kids. And they're usually bored by it and it usually turns them off. Which is exactly what we want! I have to admit to planting a few atheist seeds when I cover those RE lessons though - great fun!

Too true. I'm British and there is nothing more that will put someone off than having to sit through endless church services, normally cold and miserable, but being told "God loves you". You can't help but think if he really loved you he would get you out of the church and back home!

I see no problem with religion being taught in school as long as they study multiple religions and are not taught that any one is right or any one is wrong. Educate the children and let them make their own choices. I do feel that they should at least be high school aged though as to not corrupt their minds before they can comprehend what is actually being taught.

Well said.

Yeah, I think there should be a comparative religion class that covers the major religions. I think that, along with a critical thinking class, would lead more people away from religion. Teach them how to think critically and give them all the information. Atheism will follow.

We have churches (and too many at that !) for religious teachings.

always right along with peter pan

For historical purposes I believe that all religion should be given some time in schools. Children need to understand where other people get their values from.

There absolutely should be separation of church and state. It is in our constitution for very important reasons. Churches that have the belief that religion should be taught in schools have historically had their own schools. I believe Catholics and Lutherans are a prime example. Some Lutherans fled their countries because they didn't like the way their countries were told to preach their particular religion. They came for the freedom to have their own and brought the ideas of schools with them. People don't realize that much of the "God" stuff was added to our national sense in about 1950 under Eisenhower. " Under God," was added to our pledge at that time. It was at the same time that "In God we trust," was added to our coins and currency. I still go to church, but would bulk if much more is added. If we add the Bible to our curriculum, we would then have to accept literature from all religions. If we want to know about that as adults, we are welcome to get it at our local library. "Godly," is what some people think is good behavior. Many Godly people are bigoted and narrow minded. People can have good morals, no matter what church they go to or not..

It's a tricky question. The Bible is, for better or worse, extremely important as the basis for many ideas in literature.

Philosophy, properly taught, involves teaching religious ideas as is the case with history.

Religion needs to be practiced in the home and place of worship, without support or acknowledgement by any branch of gov, including the school system. It eventually will either die out or be relegated as a subject of curiosity, such as the Greek gods. Comparative religion would be a great subject for the schools, in that it produces a lot of non-believers.

Sure, right along with Greek myths, Norse myths, Native American myths etc

Totally concur!

I think that religious studies should be optional, just the pledge of allegiance or school prayers.

that's right bro

Oh heck no...
This reminds me of a story i head from one if the southern state. They handing out religions stuff to children in school.
The satan group did the same this but i believe it was a coloring book. Mostly thinking exercise in it. The christians got upset and wanted the coloring book out and change there dicusisson about handling out religion all together.
They don't care about religion freedom they just want to share there own belief...
I concern this one a win....

Teach religion the same way they teach world history

no

Teach religion the same way they teach world history

Only if it is taught along with all other religions just as a idea of what all is out there but not as a way to indoctrinate into a specific religion. It should be a personal choice not something brainwashed into anyone.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 1, 2017

Absolutely not. Let children be allowed to learn what took centuries of study to become validated knowledge. Then if they feel the need to have a religious connection to a higher power let them chose the one that makes sense to them. Nowadays religions seem to perform indoctrinations than conversions.....

It would be really hard to teach history without teaching at least some things about religion of whatever era you are referring too.

As part of history, its effect on politics and philosophy, but not as religion itself. Religion is a personal choice and has no place in the public system.

I believe that a relationship with your chosen God is a personal relationship and is to be kept out of public schools. It is and should be a choice outside of an academic curriculum created for all that attend.

I don't see it as a Useful course but if you want to teach religion in schools, it should be relegated to a philosophy coarse or history coarse, and cover all religion's their impacts on the world good and bad. Not one religion's brainwash propaganda. Religion has been apart of human history a long time. lots of things we can learn from its short comings.

In a secular setting:
As a Historical overview, the basic doctrines of each of the major religions and their impact on history.
As philosophical myths in Literature, and as a Theoretical viewpoint in Science.
The teaching of religion, or religious acts, should be confined to institutions that are set up for that purpose, and at home.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Religion, a part of human history and cultural studies, has a place in secular education, but only a long as ALL religions are taught similarly, without one being set apart. Having said that, in this country, it will not practically be carried out this way in many, many locations in primary and secondary schools. Better to err you the side of not teaching it at all if it can be "managed" by some trie believer bent on proselytizing.

If you mean public schools hell no!! If a person wants to learn about religion, they can go to bible college and spend their own money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.