Agnostic.com

77 7

What food did you dislike when you were young that you learned to like later?

I used to dislike onions, banana peppers, and tea. I love all of those things now. You?

silvereyes 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

77 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fish, though I suspect it was because my parents bought cheap stuff that stunk, and we had to pick the bones out.

Meat (just kidding). I can't think of anything I disliked but then again we didn't have a huge variety as a kid. Later I got nauseated at Nato [thejapanguy.com] It is slimy and gross. It is said the Japanese have developed an enzyme to be able to digest it and many love. Definitely an acquired taste.

Green olives. Now I can't get enough of them, especially when stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes... oh man...

I can't think of anything I didn't like as a child that I like now. Hated liver, Brussels sprouts, sweetbreads, asparagus, coffee, tea, buttermilk, soda water. Still hate all them.

There are things that I loved as a child that I can't stand now though. Two of those would be Jello, and hamachi.

d_day Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

Can't think of one food, if any of my friends mothers made it, I would eat it. Although, I have to agree with a couple of other people, Menudo is definitely out, it just doesn't sound good at all.

Chocolate. I used to say I was allergic to it, but my mom would always tell them no, he just doesn’t like it. Doctors office or whatever.

Brussel sprouts.

Zster Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

Beans and rice. Hmmm... I cook them better then mom did. She used that salted fat back bacon that stinked up the house ... ugh!

beer

That’s funny, I enjoyed beer until I turned 21, then I got away from it. So much of it I consider nasty.

Hummis; black eye peas; snow peas

In all honesty, I never even tried them because I did not like peas and that was enough for me.

I ate a snow pea to be polite in my 20's and loved it. Black eyes, I ate by accident and hummis was something I didn't even try until a few years ago because it just didn't' look right

I was a texturally picky eater, and had phases where I just couldn’t eat some foods (peanuts for a long time, carrots— raw and overcooked. I still can’t eat raw bananas or stand their smell.)

Carrots now are great, just not raw.

Liver isn't as bad as i thought it was when i was a kid.

What I hated I still hate, but I find I like some foods more now than when I was a child.

Vegetables.

Tomatoes for sure.

There are a lot of things I like now that I couldn't stomach as a kid...squash & onions, liver, black pepper. When I grew up, I figured out my dad was right. My mother couldn't cook & would screw up the recipe for ice. Everything was cooked to either mush or cinders & coated in pepper.

I grew up in a sort-of Jewish family in Long Island and hated smoked salmon. Plus lima beans. Years later, when I worked in a high-end restaurant and tasted good quality smoked salmon, I got it.

AS a child, I would eat almost anything that didn't have tomatoes in it. Now, I will eat just about anything but fresh tomatoes.

I really don’t remember too much that I disliked. Or that has changed. Whatever I didn’t like then, I haven’t really gained a taste for.

Liver, and several vegetables including asparagus, cauliflower, and broccoli. I still do not like Brussels sprouts. I wish I could still eat all of the sugary cereals I used to love and get the prizes out of the box too.

Yes! And avocados. The terrifying "alligator pear" that I used to eschew, now I enjoy.

@Meep70 avocados have always been great!

Think Ronald Reagan was more than accurate when he stated broccoli was the worst vegetable. Thought so back then and I still agree with his statement. Although I can tolerate it I never go looking for it.

Green peas, mustard, cheese.

OK, I can make authentic Gazpacho Andaluz. But for Genuine Fabada Astoriana it might cost.

¿Bocarones fritos despues amigos?

Onions, tomatoes, hummus, lettuce, eggs, and beets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26034
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.