Agnostic.com

10 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know l am wrong all of the time. l know this because my ex pointed this out to me, all of the time. 🙂

Those who are never wrong are -in my opinion- people engulfed by low self-esteem and, usually, the product of parents who never corrected them.

Is narcissism a learned behavior or a genetic condition? I ask because I once knew three brothers who went through two divorces,,. each...but couldn't understand why their wives left them...since they were so great and perfect and knowledgeable and nice.....

I agree absolutely and it even applies to us non-scientists. Unfortunately, when scientists are either proven wrong or admit their mistakes the general public lose confidence in them. It hurts the whole industry but is part of the game. An item appeared in the Atlantic Monthly [theatlantic.com] in which a scientist was proposing another reason the dinosaurs died out. This called into question the asteroid hypothesis. Whereas the hypothesis was not being called wrong it was being said it was just on of several scenarios. New information comes to light all the time which calls into account established theory. The scientists are often not wrong but just don't have all the facts.

To me, this concept of intellectual humility makes a huge amount of good sense. And I know I've been wrong so often, about so many things, that I can hardly help but be mindful of that fact much of the time.

I suppose it's just natural for all of us to feel overconfident in our conclusions or beliefs. Education can help a person develop a questioning attitude and a flexible mind.

@irascible That's what smart people like us do 🙂

Life is a learning process and part of the process involves making mistakes. Apparently, that is how we learn. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake providing you do not make a mistake that has irreversible and dire consequences. Those who are afraid or are unwilling to make mistakes stunt their growth.

I feel arrogance and the fear of ridicule have a lot to do with those who refuse to recognize their mistakes. I could add a not so small dosage of narcissism to the mix.

In all my years, and all my education.
The most important thing I have learned is, the more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

I'll second that thought!

I vaguely remember a quote...something to the effect that "A wise person welcomes being corrected; a fool is insulted."

Sounds right.

Insulted or offended...ugh...good quote! thanks!

I like it!

Thank you! bravo!

@thinktwice probably offended would be a better choice of words.

@DevraisA1 semantics...the nuances are a bit off, but it still makes sense...

My thoughts are never written in stone.

@maturin1919 Exactly.

I watched a documentary several years ago in which Umberto Eco was interviewed. Towards the end of the interview he was asked what he would like for his epitaph and he replied: " This is the philosopher's stone (as in the medieval quest)...LOL

I have no trouble being wrong...I just want the right answers...facts...people who have to be right no matter what are stubborn and closed-minded...they worry more about the appearance of being "right" than the actual facts or truth...sound familiar?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260506
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.