Agnostic.com

39 2

How do you handle talking to a parent when they are politically opposite of you?

I keep finding my conversations with my father are far more strained these days because of Trump. I love my father, but I think his age is affecting his mind. He's 85.

Should I just ignore it? Admittedly, I'm the one that goes off like a bottle rocket when Trump's name comes up, but I can't help myself. My dad starts rationalizing and I can tell right away he's regurgitating the canned talking points from Fox News or some other right wing pundits.

Suggestions? Advice?

LucifersPen 7 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My son-in-law is in the same boat with his father, a retired surgeon, who is actually a couple years younger than me. You can imagine how frustrating a retired doctor could be to try to talk sense to about this stuff. I think John just avoids the topic with his dad now. He likes to discuss thst stuff with me as we are on the same page. If your father is 85, the likelihood of your changing his mind is virtually nil. I would advise you to just let it go and don't put the relationship at risk.

I don't talk about because if I do well never speak again. He knows I think Trump is a vile disgusting human being. He thinks everything is getting better and the poor Trump family is being hounded by the media and democrats. He gets all of his information from Fox News and OANN. I can debate with stupidity and willful ignorance.

I no longer respect or admire my father and honestly love him less because he really isn't worthy of my love.

Time to talk about something else... do not try to change his point of view. Let him be... He is 85 he earned the Right to be as he wants to. Don't be a crusader.

I didn't. Politics and religion were a non topic with my conservative Catholic father.

Of course ignore it. He's entitled to his opinion just as you are. I don't even engage in that conversation anymore. Treasure the moments you have left with him. Talk about something you both love.

It's so sad that one man (Don-Jon Boy) has divided this nation, along family lines, so badly! Friends, relatives, and strangers alike, are now unable to communicate because of the ideology of ONE man. Hopefully, in the near future, we will be able to be led back into some measure of reasonableness under better national leadership. 🙂 Larry in western Kentucky

Change the subject, repeatedly if necessary. Have a few topics prepared... like, the time Aunt Edna...?
Do you think you will change his mind? Or will you deeply regret arguing fruitlessly when he is (soon) gone?!

I try to avoid conversations with the hopelessly stupid.

Yeah, I'd say just let him know that you do not wish to discuss the topic of politics.

Just keep your cool...listen to him but ask him to hear you....

My mother is just one of those that says mmm hmm to whatever anyone is saying. Wish I was more like that LOL

My step father on the other hand will yell and tell you that you are dumb or not listening etc

so I avoid discussing i or at least I will not begin a discussion

I used to argue a lot with my brother (he's slightly to the Right of Attila the Hun) and I'm a leftist. He considers me the 'eccentric' one.

Stick to your guns, I think we have an obligation to educate.

You "go off like a bottle rocket" and you think your dad is the one who's irrational? I'm not being critical, just pointing out that you can't have a rational conversation with a person who's irrational. And if you're that emotionally invested, I doubt your dad is the problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.