Agnostic.com

3 2

My white conservative friends have no idea why I'm not with the whole "we need to go back to how things were in the 50s" bs. They ignore the fact that things don't get better for me as we go back in time.

Or maybe they do.

Yeah...no.

Rideauxb 7 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother should have been attending college in the 50s, but, being a woman and "colored" she only completed the fifth grade. By the end of the decade, she had 9 children. Yep. Good times?!

Most of them have no idea what the 50s were really like. They just know what they've been told on TV. 'lives were better when everyone knew their place' meaning subservient to men like them.

Unless they were born before 1940, they have no real adult 50s experiences. I know the my mother's mother had 6 children, a truck driver husband who stopped by every few weeks to get her pregnant and had to work part-time jobs because he would buy new cars and houses without consulting her. I also know that he had never paid a bill until after she died in 1974.

I much preferred my life as a single working mother.

People seem to remember things different than how it really was. In reality those were horrible times open racism being the norm.

@Rideauxb And McCarthyism too! Don't forget that.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26145
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.