Agnostic.com

76 7

As atheist and agnostics what in your opinion is the odds of there being a afterlife ?

I’m pure atheist however I do think there may be some form of a afterlife . Deffidently not the Christianality version of it or god but perhaps some form of an after life . I don’t think it’s going to be what anybody thinks it is nor do I think any of the religions of today are right about it . But maybe it’s a spiritual world of some sort ? This imo is just wishful thinking on my part but ya never know . Also what do you think are the odds of rebirth ? Reancarntion ? I don’t think here needs to be a god for this to be a possibility. Your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Apologies her name is Jenny Cockell

As much as I am non-religious, don't believe in a god or gods and so on I do wonder about reincarnation.
I didn't believe (found it difficult to comprehend) in it when raised as a Hindu but for the last 10 year's I've tapped into these "findings" on YouTube and must these stories are very convincing. How do we dismiss as lies? The last one I listened to was a think Jenny Cowell. I could be wrong about her first name. She remembered her life in Ireland, went there, found her children and reunited them. (They were All estranged as they were separated from each other) All 7 children put in orphanages after her death, except one who stayed with his abusive father. She was in her 30's and her kids more than double her age, oldest one was 72.
... also about the little boy in Scotland, who said he was living on an island called Barra, and the pilot who fought in the war whose plane was taken down and remembered where the plane was taken down.
I'm interested to know what you think about this?

To 'believe' is to agree without evidence. I need evidence and then i won't just believe but I'll know.

Nothing deep...Dead things are gone.

It's an always tough, because it's probably like a guilty pleasure think that's a possibility, but been honest I don't think it can be possible

I think there may be some left over energy from some people, and none from others. But I don't think it's a "life"..... just residual energy.... because it can't be destroyed.... and some of my s have more than others.

I think too many atheist dismiss an afterlife based on shear principle. There is nothing more synonymous with God then afterlife and to accept there is an afterlife would almost be like accepting god. However there is an alternative that is rooted in logic and science. If you take Einstein's famous equation E=mc2 which simply states, we are energy and if you understand the equation, we are alot of energy. Then we look at the first law of thermodynamics which states energy cannot be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed. So maybe there is an afterlife that we can not even begin to comprehend.

I personally believe that this is it. Our one chance at experiencing consciousness and the universe that led to us being here. it's a short time so make sure it's a good time if you can.

my thought is our flesh decays and nourishes the soil. back in the food chain.

One would have to have a ‘soul’, a neat compartment of our ‘selves’, to be reincarnated or to have an afterlife, no? It doesn’t work like that. Dead is dead, period.

Krsh Level 3 Feb 8, 2019

Zero chance. I'm in agreement with Sam Harris' logic on this one.
"What we’re being asked to consider is that you damage one part of the brain, and something about the mind and subjectivity is lost, you damage another and yet more is lost, [but] you damage the whole thing at death, we can rise off the brain with all our faculties in tact, recognizing grandma and speaking English!"

Zero, nada, nil...

Mote point until you die or some scientist creates a provable way to travel beyond death if such a thing exists. Odds? How can you define odds for something impossible to measure? People die and as far as we can tell are meat. It is all opinion and personal bias. I agree the Christian heaven is not only vain but boring. But the idea of anything that cannot be proven begs a far more relevant question; what does one do without that information. Do they use it to be a better person? Does it drive one to effort and cause that helps themselves and others? I do not know if there is life after death. On our side of things it is reasonable to say no. And if there is another side? I will deal with that one way or another at that point. Or maybe I won't, we all will just stop. That too me is as sad as heaven is boring and vain etc. I love being alive even when I do not. So for me I do not know but I do, like Mulder, want to believe.

Quarm Level 6 Jan 31, 2019

The beginning of the tv show The Good Place brings this idea up. All the world religions got about 5% correct and some pot head in the 70’s got around 90%. If there is an afterlife, I think the pot heads are going to be correct about what it all entails.

Close to none - the concept on its face is...kind of vain when you think about it. It shows how vain we are as a species; like the idea of an all powerful deity that could stop everything, for...YOU

Atheism or theism doesn't involve a position regarding the continuation of consciousness after death. However, as a skeptic and naturalist, the evidence indicates that consciousness is a process which takes place inside a living brain. As the brain dies, these processes break down and eventually cease. Thoughts, memories, and emotions are not "things" in the same way that fire is not a "thing". When the processes and reactions that cause fire stop, the fire doesn't go anywhere, it just stops. So too with consciousness.

I articulate that my one "belief" is that I believe that I am more than the three dimensional being standing in front of you, that there is something in me that transcends the physical universe around us. What that looks like? Don't have a clue...except that it may be a higher dimensional existence.

Isn't that "The Theory of Everything"? I have had three near death experiences and other phenomena that made my hair stand on end. "To sleep, perchance to dream..." We can debate all we want, but won't find out for sure until we are there.

I would say slim to none.

I think we rot when we die, and that's it.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 20, 2019

I think only your body rots, your body does not define you- consciousness is the matrix of the Universe.

@Lilith no brain, no consciousness....

The science of cosmology has "hyper inflation" as an answer for:
Why is the observed universe so self-similar when we look anywhere, even at opposite directions, with telescopes?

I wonder if they are actually connected, If everthing is connected?

Odds? That word won't work because there are no statistics. My take on the subject is that our minds are meat-based. The mind ends when the meat dies.

This does suggest to me that when the brain can be simulated well enough and IF our minds can be parametized accurately enough, then we could come face to face with copies of our minds.

I would define that as an after-life, but wonder if our copies could like or enjoy themselves?

Would your copy envy you? Would it beg to be left on or turned off?

@Knee-jerk Just wait until they can download a human brain "copy" into a computer!

I believe we exist in a universe of opposites. Happy/sad, short/tall, day/night, hot/cold, good/evil, birth/death etc. therefore in keeping with this observation, the very fact that we exist must mean the opposite is also true; non-existence. Nothing would grant me greater pleasure than to believe in an afterlife and a reunion with all of the loved ones who preceded me in passing. However, based upon my empirical observations, I cannot. I have often wondered where I was before I was born. Is that not the same place we return to when we die? Non-existence. It’s not the most consoling reply, but the universe is not obligated to conform to our wishes.

None and nil for afterlife and reincarnation, I believe.

I don't think we can leave our brains behind and still exist. Which would make both afterlife and reincarnation impossible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.