Agnostic.com

23 3

Who is your favorite artist and work by them?

Crooked-Tree 3 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on what kind of art you are curious about? Music? Painting? Rock carving?

Frank Gaylord, Sculptor. [facebook.com]

Salvador Dali, the persistence of memory.

David shepherd as he inspired me

I may not believe in them but I like angels in art. Well, some of them, specifically by James Christensen. I own a numbered copy of his print,"Evening Angels". His work is fanciful, busy and colorful. I also like the "angels" done by Nancy Noel, mostly because her subjects are children and she does beautiful work on them. Non-angel work, Nancy Howe does wonders with sunlight in her paintings, I particularly love her animals and David Lee's work, florals w/ birds is lovely.

My favorite art form is sculpture however. I am a woodcarver, less so now than when I was younger, with less arthritis. I do still have projects I hope to do. I love the old carousel figures by masters like Muller, Carmel and Looff and I've done a number of miniature replicas but it is still my hope that I will do a half sized figure.

Superb ! I wish I could afford a room full of Art Deco bronzes .

Lucas Stibbard as a theatre director. His attention to detail is stunning. Eugene Gilfedder as a stage actor. Currently, Marcel Dorney as a playwright. Particularly "Harriers", a work that's up there with "Riders to the Sea" IMHO. Roger Waters as a songwriter and musician. Lois McMaster Bujold as a writer. I think I've read everything she's written. Evan Hollis for etching and print work. Both for the aesthetic and the sly commentary. My brother for sculpture. Not surprising that we share similar sensibilities in that area. Catherine Ketton's still life in oils. She captures light in amazing ways. Stelarc's really challenging performance art. Gang of Youths for pop/rock. Bowie for Bowie (its own art form rivaled only by Gilbert & George). I'll stop there.

To be quite honest. I couldnt say. Art is art. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What is art? And is the art of others truely art? From mundane, to abstract, from obscure to insane, hell even art for the plain jane. No matter the artists intent I chose those whom have depth and whome can keep my intrest. So.. To make a long story short. I chose art by any artist.

Totally agree. Although I am partial to Georgia O'Keefe. Who knew flowers could be so beautifully sensual.

Lots of different ones. Goya, Picasso, De Lempicka, De Chirico, Dali, Duchamp, the Chapman Brothers, Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (and her husband Charles Rennie Mackintosh), Bosch, Munch, Escher, le Corbusier, Klimt, Bruegel the Elder and his offspring, John Everett Millais, Kahlo, Dali, Magritte, Beardsley, and many more I'll think of through the day and think "I should have added her/him."

Millais isn't my favourite artist, but his painting "The Bridesmaid" is one my favourites (my favourite depends on what mood I'm in, as it should). She lives not far from me in the Fitzwilliam Museum, and I've spent hours gazing into her eyes trying to work out what she's thinking.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

My very favourite is Turner , but I really enjoy most of the impressionists too.

My very favourite is Turner , but I really enjoy most of the impressionists too.

I really like Thomas Hart Benton.
[evworld.com]

cava Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

I am a fan of Marc Chagall. Got to see a bunch of his work at a gallery in Vegas. I just connect to his use of colors and the abstract nature in some of his pieces. Robert Debeyer had works in the same gallery. I appreciate his detailed sense of humor. Picasso is another painter I enjoy. Pollock was a maniacal genius as well

I just dig your green hair!

I love the Impressionists. Also Matisse and Chagall. And my favorite painting has always been Van Gogh's "Starry Night" -- especially after seeing it at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. To see Van Gogh's wild brush strokes close up blew me away.

So many! I can't choose just one...

Sculptors: Alberto Giacometti, Rodin

Painters: Dali, Kandinsky, Tanguy... I am a huge fan of many Modern Artists.

The cat is Giacometti's. The pet was his brother Diego's. ALL of the brothers were famous artists.

Zster Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

This work always brings me to tears: that she was Tanguy's (a favorite surrealist) widow, just makes it all the sadder.

Zster Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

Painting, Edvard Munch, especially 'The Scream'. Sculptor, Rodin, 'The Thinker'.

I like the BullShit I been doing since 1st Grade actually.

Andy Warhol and his Jimi Hendrix portraits.

I recently saw the Chihuly Collection in St Pete. It was amazing.

For sheer emotional impact, it is Fritz Mackensen, a painter in Worpswede,the artist colonie near Hamburg. When I get homesick, I look at his landscape paintings , the wide, juicy land, the muted colors and the overarching sky. On my walls, I have Paul Klee, Alfred Sisley and Marc Chagall.
I recently found a print of Diego Rivera, a Mexican woman weaving on the backstrap loom. I look at that picure often. It is such a contrast to the North German landscapes. Rivera makes everything sharper by framing each feature n black. It reminds me of Mexico, strong contrasts and harp edges.

Just stumbled across this guy the other day and fell crazy in love with the landscapes. Makes me miss painting a lot, so Richard Cartwright atm

[jmlondon.com]

I am somewhat uncultured and uneducated in Art History as it pertains to paintings and sculptures and such, so I tend to be limited to mainstream popular stuff that "everyone" knows. Specifically, I find Van Gogh's "Starry Night" mesmerizing and I think of Salvador Dali's "Persistence of Memory" when I have to spend an extended amount of time outdoors on a hot Texas summer day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.