Agnostic.com

47 3

How do you socialize?

Hello fellow Atheists/Agnostics/Critical Thinkers—

How do you go about meeting and talking with other non-religious? Do you like the “atheist church” groups who meet at a set time to talk science, humanism, etc. or do you just go about life and meet fellow nones?

ScientistV 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Up till I retired I was very active and enjoyed meeting people , these days I seem to enjoy my own company quite a lot more .I am an artist and enjoy working in different materials - I find that I don't get on particularly well with the people in my surrounding district as it is a divided community and i belong to neither side I also notice that being English doesn't help in that regard either - But I have some friends here and quite a lot of people to say 'hello! nice weather for ducks? to. the major draw for me where i live is that I am only 3 and a half minutes from the sea and a river with ducks. The views are glorious we are not far from the dark hedges or the carrick a rede rope bridge and we can always cut and run over the border to the south if the parades are barmy.

I have never been in a situation in which a large percentage of the people are agnostics or atheists. Religion simply does not even come up as a topic in my contacts with all sorts of people the vast majority of the time. I guess that I simply attempt to relate to and deal with all sorts of people. I do object if they try to foist their religious beliefs on me.

I just go about life... meeting fellow nones is none of my business really. If it happen I appreciate the gesture but I have Very Little Needs unfulfilled. I enjoy music that moves me to get up and dance. I enjoy the beauty of the graceful female as our eyes cross path, I enjoy art and nature... poem and rhyme. I live for the venture of dancing with a stranger, we don't need to talk. We wait for the moment, we sneak in the dark. That is how I like to socialize.

I don't socialize often. Truly my loss.

It takes me a while to open up to people. I am very shy at first. I usually don't socialize because I am somewhat scared of people.

Nyssi Level 3 Feb 19, 2018

I know a lot of people that way. They usually turn out to be very good people worthy of the time necessary to establish a correspondence. I have a bit of a different dilemma as I do like so meet and socialize but no longer tolerate anyone that includes superstition (faith based religion) as a part of their lives. So socially, I, so as not to waste to much of my time, at the beginning bombard people with an array of atrocities of the past and current policies and adverse consequences to society and the minds of those who depend on faith for their world view. I'm not sure why I often enjoy deflating potential social friends/etc. when they sadly reply "Well I'm a Christian." Not that I ever actually approach anyone. In most cases, they initiate conversation that occasionally includes them asking to come over for a glass of wine and or a movie. . . I have very nice movie theatre in the basement.

I do a lot of socializing online and at work. Sadly I don't like going to public places.

I used to crack a joke in the supermarket to the checkout clerk when she monotonously asked me "d'ya have fly by" and for the fifth, sixth or twelfth time I would say "no but I've spent enough to merit two smiles" and the silly witch would report me for the fifth, sixth or twelfth time to management for sexual harassment. She's now gone and I have a robot shouting at me for being too slow and not having the correct change! It is satisfying to kick it in the shins when the camera is not watching and watch doors pop open requiring human intervention!
😉

We have atheist meet up groups and even an atheist (secular) political party, but, I tend not to do people, not into socializing really.

I don't really. I do the mom thing with school and Scouts. Other than that I practice and compete in mounted archery, and do solitary activities. Been divorced going on four years and haven't dated. I'm over educated in a redneck community. Love living in the woods but not too many people who think like me around.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that I lived down the road from you. It's hard to be educated in arural setting.

So many sad comments about self-delegated isolation. There are many nones out there that don’t feel comfortable being OUT, I hope you have the opportunity to search for them.

Living in Oklahoma I've pretty much become a hermit. There aren't any atheist meetup groups unless I go to Oklahoma city so I work, take care of my kids and sleep. If it weren't for my computer I'd probably go days without talking to people.

I don’t socialize much.

Where I am located, there is no longer an organization or group of free thinkers within roughly 200 miles. (most left the state) Aside from my tiny (can count on one hand with left over finger/s) circle of rational friend/s, the only option to meet people is online. Agnostic.com is currently my primary resource to encounter those (the only type of people I wish to share my time with) people not infected by the god virus. If I were to lower my standards to include theists, I could have a large circle of friends including intimate physical relationships but I really have no desire to be around theists in a social setting.

I mostly don't! But I try.

The people I am around do not talk of religion. When they do it is usually in agreement with my views or at least a conversation evolves. I do not have the time to place myself in the presence of people who think have a brain. (Don't really mean that someone may not have a brain, but the capacity for thought would be hoped for. Meeting people who agree with your values is a hard thing to find in the general population. I have been lucky, also if I find that I am within a group of people I am not compatible with I move onto another group, or section of that group. Perhaps my luck has to do with the fact that for most of my career I have been self employed, picking work mates was easy as I just did not work with people I could not learn something from. Learning how to cope with an asshole does not count, one should not have to do this, or if one is get paid well for it. I joined this group to find like minds and so far all is good. Of course most of you live on the other side of the country, for now that is ok.

Most people are not to my liking either. An "atheist church" would be nice for social gatherings but I will never go to one. Theists would have more ammo to say we are just another church anyway. They miss (sometimes deliberately) the basic tenant of atheism--we do not believe in gods. That's it. That is the doctrine.
As a former theist who studied for the ministry I do not believe in anything supernatural. There is just no evidence. Emotion maybe, but no evidence. This means I cannot hang out with the majority of people in any belief. There is just too much ignorance and nonsense. I attract people and they attract me, but we usually fizzle out quickly once the nonsense starts. I go to social events sparingly and my social life is almost non-existent.

I mostly socialize through meetup.com. I think a common interest in activities is more important than a common non-belief.

I don't pay any attention here in Thailand because most people are Buddhist, and leave other people alone. The only time I've even been harassed is by Christian foreigners, and the moment they started, I distanced myself from them and canceled our plans together.

I haven't yet been in the US as an official agnostic since I only totally rejected Christianity after the hate memes hit my Facebook page during the recent election..all childhood friend white evangelicals, who I defriended.

I plan to return to Lexington, KY, which is urban and mostly secular.

There aren't any groups anywhere near where I live, I do all my atheist stuff online

Not sure where you live, but there are increasing numbers of Meetup groups everywhere. I thought about joining one but then I remembered Eww, people. 🙂

@MaryRoa I live in the UK on the Isle of Wight, it really isn't a militant hot bed of anything lol

"Atheist church" is too weird for me to contemplate. I use my tattoos to start the conversation about the history of religion; recently at a family meeting of dedicated born agains. They cannot deal with the concept. I do not care. I talk science all the time, having been trained in physics and optical engineering. The people in my circle of acquaintance do not care about that and only want to talk about themselves. I discovered that pastors priests and deacons must have an inkling about my leanings, because they will seek me out and begin their "The Art of the Deal- Jesus version with me. Very amusing.

I don't think that I have ever met another atheist here apart from the one I live with, outing yourself isnt a popular sport round here people who have stopped believing keep quite schtum.

I drink too much and talk calmly (ish) to those I then offend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.