Agnostic.com

55 4

Are you racist?

Trust Rugglesby to bring an elephant into the room.
The poll is anonymous as far as I know and is not linked to your answers or to you. Rather than just ticking the "no" box I challenge you to delve a bit deeper. Personally I reject the term "race" I do not believe in it. Others have stated their thoughts that they align it to "breed" for other species. To me, a "breed" has been bred for particular traits. I am a Heinz 57 variety, my ancestry is pretty much anything from Irish to Australian Aboriginal and most in between. Any breeding for traits has been bred out of me, I am a mongrel. Some consider race to be based on language or religion. We are not religious, but could still have a prejudice against any or all religions. I do not believe that would make us racists. For the purposes of this question I would like you to consider that cataloguing people as a race, is in fact being racist. Not necessarily that you think ill of the people you put into those categories, but simply by the fact that you do make the distinction. Remembering that this is not just about ancestry but more about appearance, or religion or language. A racist person would look at my fair skin and auburn hair and declare me Caucasian totally ignoring my Aboriginal grandfather. So the question is, do you categorise people (including yourself) for any reason as belonging to a "race"? To emphasize my point I am making the poll questions harsh. Feel free to make any comments you like, this is only my opinion, I am wrong more often than right, but please consider it only as an exercise to think outside the boxes. Clearly their is no obligation to answer the questions at all and to answer is only a test of your ability to express your own doubts and certainties.

• 0 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 85 votes
Rugglesby 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (51 - 55)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I voted as not being a racist, but having a politically active black friend (we live in the USA, and I am white) I have come to see the subtleties of unconscious and institutional racism, so I actually work to be non-racist whenever I see the possibility - and I don't, always.

This is important, not only because it can increase your self-awareness and maybe help you to try and be a better person, but because so many of you are answering with a cut and dry no instead of not voting and just commenting. I do think he should have maybe put an other option though.....................................................................
[implicit.harvard.edu]

however birds of a feather do seem to stick together after watching kids in toronto schools where the world has converged

No one that I've ever met IRL has ever though I was racist in the slightest. I don't care about anyone's ethnicity. Race can not be defined by language or religion as neither of those constitute a race. For example Islam is a religion, not a race, as a race is a physical quality determined by genetics. Language may be unique to an ethnic group, but it rarely is and is able to be learned by anyone with sufficient time and an ability to speak. All too often I am called racist online because I hate Islam (all religions really). That is a bias I have based on facts and data. Just like hating Nazis is a justified, and dare I say objectively positive bias to have. So no, I would not consider my self racist as I do not care about anyone's ethnicity or skin color.

I think there is one race; the human race.

how bout the race to the grave !!

That would be between races. For example, canis lupus vice canis latrans @markdevenish

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.