Agnostic.com

32 3

So I got a 7 year old, Easter is coming up soon and he wants to know is Jesus really real and will he visit. I'm not sure how to give him an answere. They have been learning about Jesus and Easter at school :/

Kitty-kosmo85 4 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tell him the truth.

Maybe its a good time for you start helping him develop his critical thinking skills. Instead of telling him what you do or don't believe, allow him to reach his own truth. Use the Socratic method and help him reach his own conclusions. Good critical thinking skills are so important, and they aren't paid as much attention in school as they should be.

This was the approach I took with my son. First with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. Later with Jesus and God. The outcome is that he doesn't believe in any of them, but it's something that he's determined for himself, rather than a learned belief system.

No to both questions.

If it were my child, I would make a point to thwart any seed planting that is going on at school. I would not only explain that I do not believe, but most importantly I would provide the reasons for why I do not...

I would tell her what you believe, and what others believe. I'd teach her the legends and the stories. Also teach her critical thinking skills, and to ask lots of questions. And yes, I'd hide easter eggs for her and have candy for her because it is fun and tasty.

Tell him the truth as you know it and say "I don't know for sure but I don't believe he was real. There's no historical proof." Ask him if he'd like to research the origin of Easter with you.

When my niece lived with me, she believed in Jesus on holidays where she'd receive candy or gifts but not on an ordinary day.

That is a tough one. As a parent, when your children are at this young age, you must be creative. When my children would ask me tough questions I would never tell them how I felt. I clearly wanted them to arrive at their own conclusion. Answering a question with a question isn't usually accepted however, most seven-year old won’t see anything wrong with it. Ask your child what they think, do you think Jesus will come to see you? Does he know where you live? Does he have that much time? Let them come to their own conclusion.

Tell him a lot of people believe that Jesus is real, but most people don't. Most people believe in a god of a different name, but no one has any evidence to back their claims.

Plant him in front of the computer, have him google Easter, and stand there to help him with the big words and complex concepts. Then call a lawyer and sue the crap out of the school for preaching in school.

I have 2 children and struggle with same deal for Easter and xmas, I have told my children how I feel about these holidays, but I feel like all I can do is wait and let them figure it out for themselves as I told them and just try my best to keep them away from the Kool aid, I hope they will see my way but all I can do is let them decide for themselves....all in all they just want the candy and presents for now...

What did you eventually decide!? Need an update?

GinoG Level 4 Aug 5, 2018

you can celebrate Ostere -- Goddess of the Dawn -- that's were Easter came from. They still use the same calculation long before Jesus was born.

xyz123 Level 7 July 28, 2018

Tell him the truth. Lies never help and we have to start breaking the cycle

Tell him the truth. Lies never help and we have to start breaking the cycle

Tell him, he's as real as Father Christmas, and leave it at that.

Bazz Level 1 Mar 3, 2018

I tell my daughters the truth, Jesus was a man that was killed as some people beleaved he was the son of god and others did not but there is no prof ether way, and the ones that beleaved celebrate his life and the story of him rising from the dead.

Kids make their own choices based on information they get. There is a great book to help out. 'Christian mythology for kids: a secular family guide to modern christianity' by Christine Trooien. I read it to my daughter when my ex was turning into a devout christian. My daughter lives with her. She started thinking for herself and does not buy into stories of Jesus and miracles.

My dad was an atheist and when I asked about it (at about your childs age) He told me the truth. He also said that this is what he thought, not necessarily what I should think and when I grew older I should make my own mind up about it. The fact that I am here shows which way I went.
I would also tell your child that easter goes back along way before Jesus and is to do with spring. When the trees and the flowers start to come back to life and so we celebrate it with eggs and bunny rabbits. It is also when christians have chosen to celebrate the resurrection.

Tell him the truth as you know it. That a lot of people believe and you don't.

if you were living in los angeles or mexico city there would be a better chance

Tell him the truth when you decide to tell him that Santa isn't real, lol

As was already suggested, the Socratic method is a good place to start. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

I told my kids that a lot of people believe Jesus died on a Friday, but on Easter Sunday he got up and walked around renewed. I explained that WE celebrate Easter as the renewal and rebirth of spring. That's why we have the Easter bunny. Bunnies are born in the spring. Eggs represent newborn chicks. If it was all just about Jesus, we would have images of dead guys pushing stones around after being crucified. Of course, then they wanted to know what crucifixion is, and that opens up a whole new kettle of horror.

I’ve had the same discussions with my eleven year old daughter. I tell her what I think and tell her to make up her own mind. She has valid opinions just like I do.

And he brings Easter eggs and little bunnies!

However, one of the practices that I ran into that seems quaint takes place in Sweden (and maybe also occurs in other countries) where the celebration includes an Easter Tree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26240
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.