Agnostic.com

23 2

If you hear someone speak with a heavy, southern, country accent, do you instinctively think they probably are not very intelligent?

CallMeDave 8 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in the Deep South. A heavy accent does not mean a lack of intelligence.
Being an inarticulate ass definitely does.

Inarticulate asses are abundant in ALL regions of ALL countries.

Giggles this is such a funny thing as a Brit because its us Northerners who are usually accused of being thick 😉

Where as those in the south (Me) are soft 🙂

@ipdg77 haha it's true. Well thats the stereotype, except I am not thick...it remains to be seen about yer good self 😉

Only if its a cockney accent.

@maturin1919 It does in the south of England.

@Fernapple where are you from Mr. Fernapple?

@maturin1919 Yes I know, and the chance to bait both Americans and Londoners both at the same time was too good to miss.

@Amisja Yorkshire, Cambridge and Lincolnshire in that order. Read My bio if you like, I think you will find it fun, and you will have a better handle on me when you want to put me in my place. PS I read yours.

@Fernapple Ooooh ok...I shall. How strange, my eldest son just graduated from Lincoln, my youngest is at York, he got into Cambridge but didn't want to go. I don't have much to say. Maybe I should add more?

Not at all. But then, most of the people I've met from Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall have been at least reasonably intelligent.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 12, 2019

Ha! I hoped one of our non-American friends would post a reply! It's quite a different stereotype here.

Yes, of course, they are. Just Google the ten dumbest states in America.

Not the accent, but if someone is inarticulate, regardless of the accent, then I must confess to such.

I was gonna get mad at this question, then I realized when I mock stupidity or attempt sarcasm I always adopt a heavier southern drawl than I usually possess.

Hillbillies get a bad rap.

more than once, I have posed what I thought was a question without bias and have insulted people simply by asking. I should be more careful in my phrasing, it seems.

Only if what they say does not sound like any amount of thought has been put into their words.

The English typically harbor stereotypes about the Scots, Welsh, and Irish, as well.

Yes, I’m afraid that is generally my first impression, even though I know full well that is not always the case. I’m a native Southerner and have never lived anywhere else... physically. But I grew up living in the imaginary world of TVland, where every ignorant person is always depicted as having a thick Southern accent. I also spent a large portion of my formative years in a small Southern town where aerospace engineering was the main industry, and grew up around the children of engineers imported from up Nawth and Calliefarnyi who made fun of my accent and my Southern ways. I spent my teenage years trying not to be who I was... with limited success. I’m still somewhat self-conscious about it and probably overcompensate. Y’all come back now.

skado Level 9 Jan 12, 2019

I don't. Being born in the South myself (Alabama) I know quite a few people with very heavy accents that are very intelligent, kind and not racist.

Not at all. The most brilliant person I ever knew had 6 PhDs and was an amazing classical pianist.....and he had the worst Mississippi accent ever. He literally sounded like Forrest Gump.

I grew up in Central Florida and lived several years in Atlanta. My father's family established plantations in the Georgia Colony in the 1700s. I've known highly-educated people who spoke with that extremely slow, non-rhotic drawl. This is actually linguistically similar to British English. Our culture has influenced us to associate Appalachian English with illiteracy and simple-mindedness.

This is an interesting overview of how Appalachian accents came to be associated with lower intelligence.
[artsandsciences.sc.edu]

@PalacinkyPDX Live in Atlanta for awhile and you get used to it! I've always referred to myself as an Oxford American kind of Southerner.

My mother had a Southern accent. I lived in Pennsylvania Dutch area. I tried to avoid an accent. I have been told I have a slight Southern lilt.

Only if that person is a public figure. If they don't care to at least try and speak to the general public then they have a mental problem or they only care for their constituents (to me).

Oh no. Instead, I react that way to New York City accents!

No, but I will say this, the N. Carolina accent is THE SEXIEST Southern accent EVER!!! It really turns me on sexually. I don't know why, but it does!?❤?❤

Why?

I do. Having grown up in a southern state, it was an ever-present reminder that I was surrounded by people that would never understand me... not being a native English speaker, thankfully I don't have much of a southern accent (my roommate would disagree and insist otherwise), despite my teachers all being southern. I admit I am biased in this regard, but I don't hear any charm or intelligence in a southern drawl.

Many living in Scotland complain about the Scot's accentuation of as well.

No, accents and styles of speech do not necessarily equate to intelligence and i don't react with such assumptions.

It's not fair, and often not accurate, i'm sure, but memories of my days in the 1960s south will always be with me. So i still respond by being sensitive to signs of bigotry and racism when i hear a Southern accent.

No. I try not to make unfair assumptions about people.

No. Of course not. I might assume they are unsophisticated or lacking in education but never unintelligent. I’ve known plenty of soohisticated, well spoken individuals who are unintelligent. You can spot them by their red hat, like the rude individual in the picture.

No. It all depends on what they are saying that determines, for me, a simple opinion of the level of intelligence. It takes more than a few words or accents for me to completely assess the other person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:264073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.