Agnostic.com

35 3

Men... bald is not a bad thing?

Sorry I am hijacking a question for women but I always wondered why men do the comb-over.

Can someone clarify?

• 0 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 31 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 9 votes
Akfishlady 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you're bald man (like I am), just shave it all of and don't pretend. I've never really enjoyed being bald, but I've learned to accept it. I shave my entire head once a week and maintain a trimmed mustache and goatee. It's more difficult for women due to social "norms."

I have little or no hair out of choice. If I do let it grow to a normal length it's been likened to Ken Barlow out of Coronation St. That probably won't mean anything to non UK members but it's not a good look!

It suits you, @iamgroot.

I do the same.

My daughter just shaved her hair, but then again she's never been socially normal.

Bald is sexy

My hairline is rapidly becoming a peninsula, so i keep the sides shaved, and basically a mohawk / pompadour hybrid up top.

A fitting haircut for a middle aged punk rocker.

I’d grow it out into a devilock.

If i schlick it forward, it reaches down to my nose. Got a little bit of growing to do.

I've been bald for so long I don't even know what I'd do with hair.

Fbod Level 4 Feb 19, 2018

Bald is super sexy! Nothing can get me going like a nice bit of shinny smooth head rubbing?

@tiredjusttired no kidding, that works both ways!

I'd rather be a bald man than a bald woman. Every day I pull more and more hair out of my comb and wonder if I will be one of those little old women that you can see her whole scalp. Oh well. As long as there are hats I guess I will get through it. If it gets too bad I'm gonna get me a burka! But seriously, it is really about personalities. We all have our ideal selves but we get what we get and the sooner we make peace with it the happier we will be. Hard to find a greater critic of ourselves than our own self.

Even as a child , my hair was thin , baby fine , and not much of it , something I inherited from my dad . You can buy a combination hair , skin , and nails vitamin from most vitamin shops and places like Walmarts . It works best when I take the full dosage (3 a day) and over a long period of time . When I stop taking them , the hair starts coming out and the nails start breaking off . It starts at the root , so takes a few weeks before you see short new hairs beginning to grow , same with nails .

is going bald really even close to the worst thing that can happen to you?

@LeighShelton Nope. But I won't like it either.

My Mom has cancer and lost all her hair. Once when she was young, all her hair fell out. We were talking about how, while it bothered her, she thought it bothered other people more.

My hair is in the sixties of inches. I’ve been growing my elf locks for seventeen years. I told her the most devastating part of cancer treatments for me, would be to lose my hair.

I lost my sister to cancer last year and she lost her hair twice. fare enough @MaryRoa

Shaved all my hair off (head hair) a couple of years ago in a thing called 'Brave the Shave' to raise money for MacMillan Cancer Support. Now have a No 1 once a month 🙂

No2'on top, No1 round the sides every three weeks . dead easy to style.

@MarcIveson
I do a 1 1/2 - 2 on top and 1 one on the sides, I've been doing it that way for 34+ years. I knew people that were doing the comb over when I was a kid, and I thought that not only was it a waste of time, but it looked absolutely ridiculous

If anyone feels bad about going bald, enjoy:

He’s funny.

To me a comb-over is completely an ego thing. I mean seriously, it's not like it's not obvious why try and hide it. You just look goofy as shit. As soon as my hairline started to recede in my 30's I just keep it shaved. If I'm lazy I just run the clippers over it.

I did not vote because I don't really care. I think the comb-over is a form of personal denial.

I always had short hair so when I started to lose, it got even shorter.

It saddens me that men are looked at badly for losing hair, and women are looked at badly for growing hair.

I don’t like long hair on men, so balding doesn’t turn me off.

I believe they don’t care about looking bad, as much as looking bald.

Kind of how when obese people wear leggings/spandex. It looks atrocious, but they feel skinnier.

@Akfishlady

I luv hair on girls .

I just take my hair loss as it goes. I don't really care.

I like men with close shaved or no hair. Works for me.

I loathe comb-overs. However a guy wants to wear his hair is fine with me so long as it is clean.

How would I know? Never had to face the decision. My Father side Everyone has Hair, Genes Covered.

Actually, I think it's a sex-related trait, and your mother's father is who determines if you will be bald. In other words, if your maternal grandfather is bald, you will be too. If he has hair, you will too. My maternal grandfather had hair, and so did all 3 of my brothers.....my dad was bald, and so is my son.

@marga Genes Covered. Tall big hair and big nose 'till the end.

@GipsyOfNewSpain yup, sounds like you've got it covered

@marga Hey, you never have enough hats. I got a few!!!! But I look at my nephews and they both bald and their father is bald. All early. I got plenty of hats just in case.

Full head of hair at 44. Full of hair.

I prefer long hair for both men and women.
Mine is grey and thinning but never cut.

comb overs? chump hero worship.

balding? slowly... but I'm okay with it.

I think a combover is the result of a gradual thinning of hair. It starts out so innocuously, just fluffing the hair a bit so it looks thicker, then combing it so it hides the receding or bald spot. And as the hair lost gets progressively worse, the combover becomes equally worse. I was born with a rather high forehead anyway, but by the time I was about 14 I had the start of a severe widow's peak from a receding hairline. I hated it, partly because my mother insisted I maintain a side part that totally accentuated it. So I would try to comb my hair slightly forward to hide it (not really a combover, but still an act of self-consciousness), but it wasn't really hiding anything. I hated my hair so much that I vowed I'd shave my head once I was able (i.e., away from my controlling mother). I shaved it off in my first year of college (second semester), then let it grow back out over the summer, and shaved it again early in my sophomore year and never grew it out again. (Now I couldn't grow it out even if I wanted to; but, fortunately, even if I had a full growth of hair, I wouldn't grow it out, as I'm quite happy with shaving my head.)

me too

I’m not balding, but I shave my head.
It is comfortable and I like how it looks and feels.

Mom was a hairdresser, she told me on mo uncertain terms that I would not ever have a comb over.

Me: I'd like to have hair, but seems I got the gene for bald. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other really.

Bonus with hair: Hitting your head doesn't hurt as much. Helps keep head warm.

Without hair (or very little): 10 sec shampoo, out of shower dry in 5min

Would prefer to have hair but I look better bald rather than balding. Comb-over/comb-forward or a wig just seems silly although I do have a decent shaped head unlike some guys. Spent some time with some bald-headed women too. Once I got used to it I liked it.

I had a bun in my hair for years , then I gave away to cancer a few years ago , then man bun became a thing . I still keep it buzzed short . We see the mid 70's today btw , but just today . . .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

I have a little bit of hair growing on the top of my head, but it is so fine and blond / grey as to be invisible. I just comb it straight back to keep it out of my eyes.

Believe it or not, I actually think the bald look is cool. When mine starts to go, I'll just let it go. I really don't care. I realize that a lot of women do not like my hair. And that's okay too. we all have personal preferences.

Duke Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

I plan to shave mine soon. That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Marz Level 7 Feb 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.