Agnostic.com

23 3

Reading Format Preferences.
Do you prefer traditional paperback or hardcover books, e-books, audiobooks, or some combination? Do you purchase or borrow? If you purchase, do you keep books in a personal library, or pass them on? Do you read traditional newspapers and magazines, or do you get your news online?

MikeEC 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like audiobooks

I tried them years ago, but could not concentrate well enough to not have to keep rewinding. I may give it another try though. Can you do other things while listening to an audiobook? For example, putting together a jigsaw puzzle, or preparing a meal, or do you have to be giving your full attention to listening?

@PappyOnWings that is why I do audio.I can't sit still to read any more. I like to do other things and I don't mind playing back if I need to.

Audiobooks are big win when I have to drive a long ways by myself. Helps occupy my mind and keep me awake.

I have always been more of a reader than a listener, but the older I get, the more audiobooks are claiming a percentage of my time. Perhaps that's because it's hard to walk, do dishes, and exercise while reading. As these activities claim ever more of my time, so do the audiobooks that accompany them.

When I was younger, it was all books, hardcover and paperback, until I discovered Books on Tape. These days I read previous few words on paper, although I'm waiting as we speak for a used book to arrive at my doorstep that wasn't available as an ebook.

Now I read a combination of ebooks and audiobooks. I have my Kindles, my Kindle apps and other ereader apps on my phone and iPad along with Audible apps and other audiobook apps. In addition, I occasionally let Alexa read to me from my Audible library.

Ha! I lied! I just remembered ordering a 33-1/3 rpm recording of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat" from a magazine called Forrest Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland when I was in my early teens. I listened to that record until I memorized every word and every nuance in the narrator's voice. I can still practically recite the entire story from memory.

Paper, I am not comfortable with e-books. I have a 2nd hand bookshop at work, the troops know what I like and keep them for me, I take a bundle home for about $5 and take back what I don't like. We have hundreds of books here, some we have many copies of to lend to friends, we preserve special ones and don't read them or lend them out, ie collection.

I'm the same, my favorite books don't leave my house. I learned the hard way!

I prefer physical books. Some of the books I buy (aviation history) are only available in hardcover, but I am also fine with paperback books. I do read the local daily newspaper and subscribe to more magazines than you can shake a stick at.... New Scientist, The Economist, assorted car magazines, Air Classics, and various IEEE journals.... I do enjoy various podcasts while I am driving around related to my interests....

Ohub Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

I like the hardbacks that I get from my local library. It is a small branch library, but is hooked into a much larger network. Can order any in the system. Like the larger print of the hardbacks. If I can't find what I want then may buy it, and when done, donate to the library. Have online subscriptions to two newspapers.

For convenience, i prefer digital formats. If it's something worthwile, i'll buy a hardcopy for my library.

I never sell books, of any kind. Text books, novels, i hang onto them all.

Books, books, books! Paperback or hardcover doesn’t matter to me, as long as I can turn the pages. And library all the away!

Speaking of audiobooks, if you haven't yet tried it, Librivox.org is a great source for public domain audiobooks. It's all volunteer, and the quality of the recordings varies greatly, but it's free, and some of the narrators are quite good.

Paperbacks - bought. I like owning the books I like. Hard-covers are too inconvenient. I've not gotten used to e-books. Because I listen to podcasts, I could take to audio books, I suppose.

Newspapers and magazines - online. It's easier online. I can source them from different agencies. And on topic that I have a particular interest, I can quickly check counter-arguments, different perspectives, easily online.

Books and magazines for me, not so keen on e-reading. If someone wanted one of my books, I would give it to them, unless I hadn't read it yet.

News, online. I like to be able to cross reference stuff easily.

All of the above.

I prefer paperback books and hardcover. I buy books. I don't go to the library. Not until I start college.

I love audiobooks while I walk or play minecraft.

MikeJ Level 5 Feb 20, 2018

I prefer eBooks, so that I can carry many with me without the weight (great for long flights!). I buy and keep.I used to buy paperback and donate as they would accumulate and take up space.

No papers or magazines, just web browse for that.

Zster Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

I have books, my mother has e-books, but she has lost some of her books to the cloud. I also keep books and pass them on, but my favorites, I'm picky about who I give them to because I want to keep them. When my son was born, my mother started buying all my old children's books that I loved for my son. I kept all those and I will read them, but those I keep. I realize they are heirlooms!

I like real books, don't mind their condition I live in sheltered acommodation so space is tight and i have only one corner bookshelf with books I can't bring myself to give away or throw out - A library van comes once a month but mostly I buy second hand books from charity shops and take them back when I am out and about - I buy a paper every day mainly to do the codeword and i flick though to see if there is anything of interest - I listen to BBC news (although these days I can't think why I give them any credibility) and also look online

Real book. But I have read a couple of "electronic formats" on my phone. I prefer books.

I use books and get them at the library. I watch CBS news at 5:30 (central time). I do get my local news and weather online. I do like to stop on Fox News from time to time to see what the other side is lying about

I usually get a newspaper. I do sudoko and crossword. The tv guide is easier to scan and the form guide too

I go the Kindle route on iPad for everything I possibly can. It's cheaper, and I can [re]read, search, annotate my entire library anytime (and anywhere) I want. And I'll never have to move stacks of boxes full of heavy books again. Plus ... there's the "save the forests" aspect of it.

I only buy the odd paper book when it's not available in the form of inconvenienced electrons.

I love to read. I prefer paperback but have a nook, kindle and apps on my iPad for travel. I have hundreds of paper and hardback novels plus thousands of e-books. My son got me a subscription to kindle unlimited a couple of years ago. Its nice because I'll read a book and buy it if its really good.

Hardcover for new books from the library, paperback for the books in my personal library that I've read and re-read countless times, audiobooks while I'm driving, working out, or doing yard work, and ebooks for convenience at other times.

Paperback for putting in my purse, car, locker, and hardcovers to go on my bookshelves. I hate e-books need to feel and smell my books. I do get my news online, however. I generally start reading a book in the bookstore and buy it if it seems good enough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.