Agnostic.com

58 10

Can you fall in love with someone who you've never met in person?

Speaking to someone virtually and never meeting them first... is it possible to fall in love? What do you think?

silvereyes 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From my point of view, "falling in love" can be confirmed or unconfirmed by meeting in person. I would not ever consider "falling in love" with anyone without first meeting them in person, and getting to know them in person because the idea for me of "falling in love" is all encompassing. I agree with @Akfishlady .

Nope. I thought I had fallen in love with a beautiful Scandinavian woman with blue eyes. It turns out it was Brutus, who owns a small engine repair business that he runs out of his parent's home, has three inches of hair on his back and loves to cat fish.

Aww poor Brutus is probably sad and lonely without you. 😉

@Blindbird oh no. I'm sure he's got other car fish on the line

I'd like to think so.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

Yes, when I was 16. Now I have trouble falling in love with person's I do meet.

I used to think one couldn't fall in love until meeting in person, then it happened in an online relationship, so I've changed my mind.

Maybe hell no! IMHO you can plant that seed,,,,,but it all boils down to meeting face to face and spending a little time together....

I think so but I need the touch of the flesh as irrefutable evidence.

Is the obverse true? Can you fall in love with someone you meet in person - but don't know? There are many levels of love - attraction is but one star in that universe of romance, affection, time, familiarity, trust, reliability, mischievousness, appearance, intelligence, forgiveness, beauty, and everything else you can think. Most of all love is a choice, not an auto-renewal, it should only be given when deserved. All is fair, so why not?

jeffy Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

Yes or at least the person you think you've been speaking to: )

I know you think you can, and probably do develop feelings for someone, but I am not sure love can truly grow without actually being around them. I know people that have made it work, but they have all said it was different once they were in person. The premise of their relationship was ahead of the reality for a while before true love grew

I've never experienced it. I have developed fondness and desire for women through correspondence but that is just one of many components to falling in love. In my opinion there must be a physical component which has many layers in and of itself. For example the sound of her voice, the taste of her kiss and her body, her natural smell, the way she laughs or giggles, the way we respond to each other's touch, the sight of her mannerisms, the reflection of love, admiration, and adoration in our faces. The intensity of our intimacy. All 5 senses need to say she's the one.

Agreed...from a female perspective! That sounds just about right!

@Freedompath Thank you. It's honestly the way it works for me.

Through written communication one can certainly feel increasing attraction to the person based on expressed attitudes, beliefs, and emotions. But, the accuracy of those expressed things can only be determined in person. In other words, don't fall too hard before you really know the person.

Not me but a couple I know. They met and fell in love playing an online game. They got married last Halloween and they are honestly one of the happiest and most well adjusted couples its ever been my pleasure to observe. 🙂 Makes me happy just being around them.

I know a couple like that. They met in real life, but they are so crazy about each other (about 9-10 years in), and that is one reason I am happy to be around them.

Back in AOL days, I fell in love with someone Imet on an AOL messsage board. We never physically met. It ended after a month. I was young, and felt that was real at the time. It's from that experience, I made up a self rule with "no long distance relationships" and "if I can't see her in person or am unwilling to drive a long distance to see her, don't do it."

It is possible. It does work out for some. I think it's pointless if you can't see each other though.

You can become infatuated with someone, I don't think it would be true love. I became very close to someone texting. After meeting her, the feeling was gone. I don't think you can truly know who someone is through texting!

You may think so.. Love is a self made illusion when you have never met yet love at first sight is a reality to some..

Yes, but it is love based on who you think the person is. You have to experience the other person faults and all to know that you love them.

Sure, because "falling in love" is a male trait, and males are attracted to females by their appearance. Besotted males in love serve an evolutionary purpose as this keeps them with one woman long enough to help raise his progeny, increasing their children's chance of success.

Women with strong male traits can also fall in love as men do, but this is riskier for females since it puts them in harm's way if they become besotted with a stranger and get lured into a trap, give him money to "rescue" him, don't know if he's married, has kids, is sleeping with a dozen women, has STDs, etc.
Gullible women are lured by predators all the time.

Most females (heavy in female traits) are skeptical, suspicious, do thorough background checks of new men, and only pick people their friends and mother would approve. Someone with a good income, who has standing in the community, etc.

Books on online dating advise meeting in person after five exchanges, for coffee in a public place. If the guy starts waffling, that's a red flag, indicating he's hiding something or isn't serious, so delete him at once.

@silvereyes Women falling in love could be fatal. I was nearly killed several times because of my male "bro" code, where I felt loyal to my male "pal." My more female friends would never have dated those men in the first place, and even warned me!

Yes, it is %100 possible.

You will be in love with your idea of this person. Good luck to the other person trying to live up to that.

I think it happens quite often, no?

even without previously speaking to someone it is possible to feel the love: Tom Long, David Attenborough, Jonny Lee Miller, Leonard Cohen... i'm not sure about falling though. i don't fall anymore; i love a unique bright mind, an innocent open heart, a spirit that sparkles.

I am not sure. But I knew a woman that I would see a few days a year at a conference. And over the course of a year, through email, texts, facebook posts and phone calls, we fell in love.

I'm not sure if I could have done it without at least knowing her a little bit.

Yes. Of course it can change once you meet them in person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.