Agnostic.com

23 6

Theater vs home movie?

Hmmm, I think I could go for both, depending on my mood because I love to get out. There is also sometime I just prefer to stay at home and wait for a good movie to be released on dvd cause I’ve also had a share or annoyance at the theater.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to be a homebody and love my comfy clothes. I often think, hey I should go to a movie tonight! But then I think about how expensive it is and that I'll have to put clothes on and then I just decide to stay home.

But movie theater popcorn is the best!

I'd have to say Home Movies for 2 main reasons, a) I have a problem with crowds/crowded places, and, b) I designed and built my own surround sound system that does really 'shake' the room when the volume is up past half way.

OOOooohhh! WANT!

Stay at home, hands down! Comfy clothes, pause for snacks and bathroom breaks, and way cheaper!

It's gotta be home theater. No line for the bathroom, I can have a cigarette if I want, beer if I want, no screaming kids kicking the back of my seat, no crying babies in the background, and I can pause it if I have to get another beer so I know I haven't missed any of the good parts

I like the movie theater when I have the place pretty much entirely to myself. Because that's rarely the case, though, I seldom go to the theater. I make exceptions for the movies I really, really want to see, but otherwise I'm fine watching at home whenever. (I also tend to avoid the theater because it's expensive to go very often, so unless I'm certain it's a movie I'll enjoy I don't want to dump $15 on a ticket. I watched Start Trek: Beyond in the theater when a friend was in town, and he fell asleep and I was bored out of my mind.) I think the most recent movies I've seen at the theater otherwise were Casablanca (75th anniversary special screening) and Deadpool (which was seriously the most fun I've had watching a movie in ages).

The mega thearters are a bit much for me..I'm lucky enough to have an old school, updated, independent theater close by..they have a big screen from the 20's and 3 smaller intimate screens..they also serve beer wine & cocktails!..yes you can bring them into the screening rooms!..pisssah!

I still like the theater.

Live theatre. But then I'm biased.

Home all the way. Far more comfortable, I can pause for breaks, no assholes on cell phones, no kids, no talking, not crowded. I also have a 75 inch 4K TV and 7.2 surround sound that I can have on as loud as I want in my house.

haha blast stephen sayadian's Caligari on that thing 😀

I prefer home, it's more comfortable.

Betty Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

I rarely go to the theater, and not a big movie person to begin with. I'll go with a friend if invited and if it's something that might seem interesting or fun. Otherwise movies are just watched at home with a friend and some pizza and booze. At least we can be as rude as we want without ruining anyone else enjoyment.

It depends on the movie and my mood.

I prefer the big screen to the little flicker box. That being said, if I miss the big screen showing I will settle for falling asleep watching it on the television.

I built a theater in the basement (my profile photo) with a better sound system (including treatment) then most theaters. Some movies are fun. For example when guests look around because they hear Cornish Pixies flying around the room.

I have screened many movies and watched the same movies on a television and have for most (not all) a great difference.

For the most part anamorphic movies like: Star Wars, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, The Fifth Element, Interstellar, Apollo 13 (the first one), are a different experience on the big screen. Sound is equally or important. Although I had first seen The Iron Giant on television, watching it in the theater is a different experience; the opening storm is crushing, the forest scenes with the wildlife around you refreshing, etc. in each event you are living in the movie sound-stage. When the civil defense siren sounds, the experience for me was literally hair-raising as you are standing in the street that will soon be vaporized. In the movie Captain Phillips, the pounding of the engines and waves leave you physically beaten as you experience the life raft with Tom Hanks.

Some movies like Dunkirk, the visuals and sounds are awe-inspiring as you feel the impact of bullets and explosions create a breeze in the room. You are pulled into the action. I decided to re-watch Dunkirk on a television with a simple surround sound system, and was greatly disappointed as this was not the same experience.

In the 3d world: Frozen, Wreck it Ralf, Life Of Pi. The Polar Express, Gravity, The Martian, Avatar Moana etc. are completely different experiences on the 3d big screen then on a television. The last time I ran Guardians of the Galaxy in 3d, two of the guests liked the movie so much they decided to watch it again on their television. The next day they told me after a few minutes of watching it on the tv, they turned the movie off because it is not the same experience.

As for going out to watch a movie? I haven’t seen a movie in a commercial theater in many years and don’t anticipate spending money to see a movie in a commercial theater.

I like to do both, since there's a new EGV theater multiplex within quick walking distance of my place, at the Songkhla Tesco-Lotus mall. New hit movies for $6.33 are shown in English a few times a day for the first week or so.

For movies and TV series at home, I use Netflix on my smart Samsung flat screen TV.

I like both, but generally wait for the DVD because it's cheaper than going to the movie theater, and the theater won't pause the movie if I need to leave for a minute! I plan to see "Black Panther" in a theater; superheroes should be seen literally larger than life.

Last time I was at a theater I sat next to a wall. Big ass cockroach was watching the movie right next to me. Nope, nope, nope.

You were probably in his regular seat!

I go to the movies less and less. The movies are not worth the money. Also the quality of the projection is just not as good as it used to be. Digitized projection is just not good as I remember old projection back in they day. People are annoying at cinemas too. I've got a pretty big TV and I have to pay for internet, which in Australia, like everything else is expensive, so I put the money there and into streaming. I suspect cinemas might be on a slow path to extinction.

It really is a mood thing. Tonight, as I listen to the rain and feel the chill of the temperature dropping 40 degrees in the last twelve hours, it is a home movie night. The excitement of the big screen has its appeal, too, but it is a different appeal and going to the theater typically involves more than just the theater, even if it is just a group of friends going.

I enjoy the cinema experience for the big stuff, but at home we can laugh and talk.

I'm there with you. I usually like to watch movies at home, but it's nice to go out and see a movie every once in a while.

Yes I feel exactly the same

Depends on the theater and when. I like ones here, they have big comfy reclining chairs. I like to see movies about a month after release when the theater isn't packed. I also like to watch a movie at home too.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.