Agnostic.com

7 0

Where do you think our morals come from? what brings about improvements in them?

Mcflewster 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Improvement in morality comes from a constant feedback loop of evaluating benefits and harms. This inherently requires that we be grounded in reality rather than dogma or other preconceptions.

To the religious, by contrast, morality is immutable, it never improves. Only compliance with the moral code is capable of improvement. And only an invisible being is capable of judging compliance. And he's not talking.

Yeah, it's nuts.

excellent answer, and from an Eragon fan?

Social and natural consequences resulting from actions.

Mine come from within and haven't changed and I haven't broken them. there is a line drawn in the sand in my mind that would make me untrue to myself if I stepped over them even with my flaws.

If you care about this subject then you have to watch this

Common sense...

Well, I don't think man is by nature social, rather nature forced man to be social to avoid death. It is therefore not something that man by nature is inclined to, rather man is compelled by nature to be social. Nature provides this end only negatively. Man conquers nature because it compels him to do so and the result is freedom and responsibility.
Loosely based on Aristotle, also pointed at by Hobbs & Nietzsche.

cava Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

The foundation for morals, it seems to me, rests on the twin pillars reciprocity and empathy. From the former we obtain our sense of justice, and from the latter our higher emotions. We observe these behaviors in other primates, and it stands to reason that evolution would have conferred a survival advantage to bands of hominids, just as it does today in troops of apes. Of one thing we may be certain, we don't derive our morals from a book.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.