Agnostic.com

27 3

Are the Masons a religion?

Tiffanny 6 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

are mason jars named after them because they're so tightly sealed?

great minds think alike

From Google: "Freemasonry is open to men of any faith, but religion may not be discussed at Masonic meetings. The Supreme Being. Masons believe that there is one God and that people employ many different ways to seek, and to express what they know of God.",

@AxeElf But "open to men" kind of turns me off right there....

@AxeElf The sarcasm is strong with this one! rofl

They are a secret society. They have elements similar to religion -- rituals, esoteric teachings, auditoriums, some of them with pipe organs. According to their own FAQs they are not a religion or a substitute for one, however, they DO require members to subscribe to a "belief in god" and so would specifically exclude atheists.

I know a bit about them because I maintained the membership tracking software for a large Masonic "temple" many years ago. As such I was one of the few non-members that get to see the inside of their building. Although I was mostly confined to their office (this was pre-Internet era) I did get shown around a couple of times. That was a "Scottish rite" temple and very ornate. Just the word "temple" suggests religion.

Their origins are really as a trade association of sorts (stone masons). There are other such societies, such as the Loyal Order of Moose, Odd Fellows, Rosicrusians, Hermetic Brotherhood of Light, etc. They are mostly all-male clubs, usually working class, although some of them, particularly the Moose lodge, are becoming more diverse in order to survive in the modern world.

Why do I see Fred and Barney when I read this?

@RavenCT Lol. Yeah didn't they belong to some stone-age "lodge"? I seem to remember furry hats with horns in them. There must always be funny hats, that's another thing lodges have in common with religion.

I think they're religious, but not necessarily a religion. I'm pretty sure they pay taxes.

More like a cult / secret socierty.

I have a Masonic Penny that my father in law gave me. His father and grandfather were very much in the Masonic order. Anyway, he told me that if I have this present to anyone in the Masonic order, from anywhere in the world, they would make sure I got home safely.

No, they are assholes.

Leon Level 5 Feb 20, 2018

There are assholes in every group.

@daniellaws all Masons have colostomy bags then? ROFL LMAO

@daniellaws Doesn't your remark to @Eirteacher imply that there are no assholes in the Masons? Therefore they must all have colostomy bags or be full of shit and ready to explode! ROFL LMAO

It certainly has many of the hallmarks of a religion. Funny symbols and costumes, hazy-but-as-hard-to-disprove-as-prove history, some nice buildings.

Edit: Now I come to think of it, I've only knowingly been acquainted with one freemason - the grandfather of a friend when I was a teenager. They used to have bake sales to raise funds for the lodge, which is so typical of religious organisations here in the UK I'd say they're certainly a religion!

Jnei Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

Oooo, scary scary cult!

@Crimson67 Yup Shriners! lol Or hardcore Dr Who fans in fezzes.

@Crimson67: Does it really matter? 😉

@Crimson67, Shriners are a subset of the Freemasons. To be more specific high ranking masons.

@Crimson67 All Shriners are Masons but not all Masons are Shriners

I know a guy who was kicked out of his (Baptist) church because he was a Mason.

I knew some Masons that were kicked out because they were Catholic. And My brother was told by a Lutheran minister his daughter couldn't hang around with her friends because they were Rainbow Girls.

I have known people kicked out of the Catholic church because he was a Mason.
My brother was fired as Deacon of the Lutheran church because his daughter was friends with some girls that belonged to the Rainbow Girls.

Maybe in the past but at a lower level in the states it currently appears to be mostly a social organization where guys can get together, raise money for a wonderful charity, (Shriners Hospitals) and perform some rather silly theatre like plays and meetings complete with fancy chairs robes, titles and strange hand gestures. One requirement of being a Mason is that you have to believe in a god. Any god will do. To the best of my knowledge, there is no assertion of a sin or redemption or resurrection or heaven or hell or any supernatural claim ever introduced by any ceremony or brought up in meetings. When younger I knew many Masons. Is it a religion today? - - If you define Boy Scouts of a few years ago a religion (as they had to believe in god) Yes, Masons are a religion. If you do not consider Boy Scouts a religion, I would say No, Masons are not a religion as aside from having to believe in any god, being a Mason does not require faith (belief without evidence) of any additional supernatural claim.

To be a Freemason you have to be male (although women have established their own lodges), aged 21 and a believer in a “supreme being”. So you can be a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim but not an atheist. One can apply but for most recruits it is the tap on the shoulder., are staged during initiation and progression to a higher degree.

So what goes on at the 33rd degree where politicians and elite exist? Most do not get past the 3rd degree.
[32nddegreemasons.org]
This is what I read I find it interesting

I think theyre more like an organization/union that holds power, kinda like the teamsters or whatever theyre called

They're an elitist organization that serves as a networking tool.

At one time in History they were "The Guardians of the Holy Grail" for whatever that was worth, but like Professional Wrestling it was prime time in its age. The Knights Templar were a very Religious Organization who became more powerful in profit than Rome intended for them to ever become. It was the SS of the Catholic Church designed to remove the infidels from the Holy Land and they did a very notable demise to those who stood in their way. Once the "Holy Father" saw what they were uncovering and getting rewarded with he had them rounded up and silenced. Those who escaped the massacre started the Masonic Order of the Knights Templar. Their is a lot of History written into this and please do not go to Dan Brown as a reference. Start with the Inquisition and work your way forward thru History which can be a long road but very well documented. When you come to their role in the establishing of the Constitution and the separation of "Church and State" hold on to your hat. The American Founding Fathers were all very immersed into this.

Freemasonry seeks to unite the different religions worldwide. don't forget that the constitution was inspired by many Freemasons, any Sons of the Widow out there?

I am a Widows Son. But they probably wouldn't have me now.

No, but because they are empty vessels, in a lot of cases with little beards.

Leon Level 5 Feb 23, 2018

Especially the ones that grow their little beards.

Leon Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

i thought they were preservationists

They are not to discuss religion or politics at masonic meetings. Makes being a religion difficult. The reason being that religion and politics are very divisive and cause a lot of arguments/bad feelings.

Might as well be

My grandfather was a Mason, one brother still is, he was the grand poobah a few years back over here (to me that means he gets to take the goat home) I have been invited to join many times, but seriously? Me? I think they are probably good people, mean well, they run some aged care homes that I know of but far too much of an old boys club for me. I just can't conform to anything, and the whole idea bores me witless.

My take on it, late dh a mason, late grandfather a jester in shriners, is that it's a secretive club with philanthropic tendencies, with rituals.
My late grandfather never had a bad word to say about anyone, ever. Late dh obsessed with rituals, he was very involved the 1st year then slacked but paid his dues and wanted the rites when he passed.
When I contacted who he asked me to we were swooped down upon within 5 minutes of the phone call that he'd passed with emotional support. That frankly blew me away.
Thus I've no negative experiences with either, altho do know of one dirt bag that's in it, but imagine he puts on a good face and I'd call him the exception to the rule.

There must be some real code of honor within it, JMO.

Nope

Candy Level 4 Feb 21, 2018

More like a timid white supremacist gang.

Prince Hall Masons are black men.

Prince Hall masons are made of black men.

@Eirteacher. Wow, really?..never heard of that branch of the Masons cult..thanks for that information..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26859
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.