Agnostic.com

49 31

Oldies but Goodies..

What sort of musical influence did your parents give you?
Do you enjoy listening to that type of music today?

My mom was born in 1936. I remember her being really into Johnny Mathis, Ella Fitzgerald & Frank Sinatra.
Later she was into the Moody Blues, Doobie Brothers and Joe Cocker..

My pops was born in 1933, he was always into Jazz and blues.
Miles Davis, Benny Goodman, Dinah Washington, Louis Prima, etc
But us kids turned him on to bands like Zeppelin & Black Sabbath and he’d blast rock n roll in the car, too..
I hated jazz when I was a kid and would beg my dad to turn off the “horny music,” but I love it today.
I’m glad my folks had cool taste in music, I think it’s partly why my taste is as vast as it is.

If I had to choose one song that will always remind me of my parents, it would be this..

AMGT 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your parents had excellent taste.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

My Dad was born in 1925 and loved Big Band music. He would listen to people like Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey.
He thought Gene Krupa was the greatest drummer ever.
My Mom would listen to just about anything that sounded good to her. She liked to sing little ditties and hum a lot.

My parents were also from that era - and boy could they DANCE!

Great stuff 🙂

@RavenCT That reminds me of something....My mom was born in 1912, and at child #8, she was an older mom when I was born. Anyway, one day when my brother and I were teens, we were watching TV when a Charleston dance song came on. Naturally, being smart-aleck teens firmly in the rock genre, we started laughing at the funny music. Our mother, without saying a word, got up and started doing the Charleston----and she was gooood! When the music stopped, she just went about her business as if nothing had happened, still not saying a word. My brother and I just sat there with our mouths open.

It was a good lesson in appreciating different kinds of music.

My dad liked big band - born in 1927 - died 2015 (he could swing dance and got free sea cruises later in life to be a shipboard dance partner). As the decades rolled on, he liked an assortment off the pop charts, and there were car rides with him singing along to "Good Morning Starshine" or other bubble gum pop. I think of myself as being similarly eclectic regardless of genre.

Thanks. He was indeed.

My dad was born in 1912, and played trumpet in a swing band for a while in the 1930's. He liked big band music, Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, and Artie Shaw. He also liked Louis Armstrong. My mom,who was born in 1917, liked themes from movies, some classical (e.g. Peter and the Wolf, La Mer, Moonlight Sonata), some Beatles, and Tom Jones.

@AMGT Yeah, I've always liked that.

My Mother had a giant record player, she used to love Abba, The Beatles, Carole King, Led Zeppelin Elton John and David Bowie. I used to love her records. Her music choices didn't influence me in anyway, my first love from when I was about 7 years old was Michael Jackson. Although I do now of course love Elton John and David Bowie
I do remember my Mother dragging me to the movies when The Labyrinth first came out, I remember I was so scared of the bog of eternal stench I wouldn't stop crying, and my mother threatened to go lock me in the car. I think she just wanted to look at David Bowie in tights lol. Who wouldn't. I can't get enough of that movie now.
I also remember her telling stories of when The Beatles came to New Zealand, as all young ladies she wanted to go to the concert, but my Grandparents would not let her. She was so sad.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

@astrochuck It was similar to this as I remember, built into like a side table type thing [oldhousecrazy.com]

My dad, born in 1952, was always listening to the classical music station, which I do have an appreciation for, or NPR, which makes me want to shove a screwdriver into my ear.

My mom, born in 1962, was into what is now classic rock. I used to play her Queen records after school. I still love that music and have the classic rock station on at work almost every day.

The Beatles--thanks, Mom!

The Beatles were by far my favorites for most of my life. In the last year, Alanis Morissette has gotten right up there too 🙂 I also love The Doors, a close second 🙂

My parents listened to Classic Rock (just rock to them at the time) and Vintage Country Western. I used to absolutely HATE the Country stuff at the time because I was heavily into the Punk Rock scene. As time passed I really learned to appreciate Classic Country (definitely not the contemporary kind). The older I got the wider my interest became regarding music genres.

My dad had a wonderful voice. He sang to us kids while we took a bath. Silly songs. He could yodel and his whistle had the clarity of a musical instrument. My mom loved Englebert Humperdink.

Haha, my dad could yodel too! He would do it in the car and we would holler to try and make him stop!

my Daddy liked mariachi music from Mexico, There was on song in particular that he loved, very esoteric, it has taken me nearly 50 years but I finally found a copy on YouTube.

Candy Level 4 Feb 21, 2018

Your parents had it going on. For me, it wasn't my parents, but other brother, by 10 years.

My folks were pretty eclectic in they're musical tastes..I heard alot of big band, swing, jazz, mambo etc..when my folks split up Mom would listen to Patsy Cline..over&over&over..came to hate her and country..I do enjoy it now though..well Some of it
The Only radio stations I listen to nowadays is college stations..cause FM radio is so damnably milk toast white..

Ugh I hate radio. Pacifica has its moments though.

My parents thought that enjoying any kind of music, except Gospel, was a mortal sin. Blues music was synonymous with The Devil...and everything, except Gospel, was blues in the black community that I grew up in. Rock&Roll was blues, R&B was Blues, Soul Music was Blues, Jazz was Blues. My parents were absolutely NO FUN at all. We had to sneak and buy records,and then hide them, because if my dad found them, he would destroy them, while telling you what a terrible person you were for listening to it. And he HATED The Beatles--even threatening us with bodily harm if we as much as sang: She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah!
Luckily, my older siblings would play Motown, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Otis Redding, etc....but only when my parents went away to visit other church people, and left us home alone.

Mom was born in '38. Dad was born in '34. The earliest music I remember them playing was old country swing (which I still love today). In the 60's mom listened to a bit of top 40 stuff but dad stuck to country. I was a sponge for any kind of music. When I grew into my teens, I started listening to everything I could find. I loved jazz and classical. The first album I ever bought was the Beatles "Sgt Pepper". I still remember the road trip where I bought Deep Purple "Machine Head" on an 8-track and got my dad to play it over and over. Mom is a huge Smokey Robinson fan. She nearly fainted the day I told her I met him, talked with him for about a half hour and he told me to give her a hug for him. Dad's favorite has always been Willie Nelson. I'll never hear Smokey or Willie without thinking of mom and dad.

Duke Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

@AMGT Awwww... Right back atcha!

My parents didn't really give me any musical influence. My musical tastes are acquired from the places and times which I lived most fully. I was in Berlin from 1959 - 1962 and attended concerts with most of the big names in jazz -- Ella, Satcho, the MJQ, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, John Coltrane, Brubeck, Oscar Peterson -- ad grew to love modern jazz. I lived through the late 1960ws and 70s on college campuses (both in grad school and as a college instructor) and loved the folk and protest music, and the great music of the 1970s. I also acquired a real taste for classical music from Beethoven on to modern composers. My favorite classical composers are Max Bruch, Aaron Copland, Stravinsky, Sebelious, and others.

My mom not so much, she always listened to classical but it did nothing for me. My brothers introduced me to Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc that got me started. Their fondness of stuff like CCR and Boz Scags did nothing for me, either.

Hahahahahaha cornbread baby? No!!!! Mashed potato baby!!!!! Lmao @AMGT

@AMGT idk if scaggs was actually in there or not. I could t identify it, anyway hahaha

Hahahahahah mashed potato baby 😉 @AMGT

I loved classic rock, but my parents didn't. I loved Neil Young, Rollin Stones, Moody blues, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Harvey Mandrel, the Kinks, the Animals, the Beetles, Miles Davis, Ziggy Star Dust, Jefferson Air Plane, Alice Cooper, and so many more.

43 minutes long, Jethro Tull's Thick as A Brick. Entire song lyrics written by an 8 year old genius, He was disqualified from a poetry contest. The Judges obviously thought he was helped. When I hear it, I can say truthfully, it brings me back to a place, and the time. 1986, Some might say spiritual, which is my least favorite word..

Early rock and roll, doo-wop, blues and r&b.

mario lanza, andy williams , frank sinatra, big band music. they never changed

There is an old 50s song , "Scotch and Soda" that i always really liked

My dad was into classic rock, and that influenced me. My grandmother had an interesting record collection, and my aunt let me play with her stereo in the basement. Later in life I ended up really getting into all of that stuff

I just watched a great video on YouTube, I'd rather go blind...Etta James and Dr John

My father was really into Motown, I remember watching Soultrain with him on Saturday morning's. My ma, was into Johnny Cash, Tom Jones, the Beatles, Janis Joplin etc.
I listen to everything, I am really into Ella Fitzgerald and Leonard Cohen

Wow, you are lucky to have musically two inclined parents. Father enjoyed the verbal styling's of Richard Nixon, but Mother enjoyed Frankie Lane, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. along with Benny Goodman, Herb Albert, etc. When I bought the Beatles 45 of You Say It's Your Birthday - I was regarded a political saboteur.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.