Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK Any suggestions for my life on Earth Timeline Necklaces?

Delete it not allowed. I'm looking for advice not customers. This seems like the right kind of crowd to ask about this think I'm making.

I thought of this idea last year. I think it is amazing and unique. The problem is that it is so unique that I am not sure how to let people know what it is.

I gave up on it after making my initial batch of necklaces not selling many, but I didnt try that hard.

Any suggestions? Is it a dumb product all together? Is it confusing how it is presented?

I have more beads ordered and the new ones will be shades of blue for ocean life periods and green for land life. This seems the most symbolic and easy to explain. Also mabey keeping the pattern with 3 colors of gold for the big sections because it makes a prettier necklace but I like being able to use the single gold bead for the "all of human existance" section.

MsAl 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How sophisticated do want to get?

• Chaotion time when Earth was a molten planet
  • Proterazoan time when life bega
  • Paleozoic time when life exploded into the oceans and diversified
  • Mesozoic time life on land first diversified and dominated outside the oceans. - evolution of the reptiles and amphibians, first bird & mammal species evolve - end of the dinosaurs (period of species gigantism)
    Cenozoic age of mammals and birds includes an ice age and the advent of humans.

This is the simple version. I design projects like this all the time, and to scale. If you are serious about wanting help and advice, PM me. I can also give you the Navajo correlation to this as they have come to see it. Goid luck.

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple for the sections, so an average non scientist could explain it to a child. A way to visualize the amount of time between us and the dinosours, or how lom
ng it took for life to be on land. I like to try to explain things to people who have never learned these things. There are many people who think that early humans lived at the same time as dinosours. I was considering moving the date back on the 1st life in the oceans section due to some studies last year, but most of the official sources still say about 3.8 billion years so I think Im leaving it. Mostly I was just trying to throw it out here to see if people think its a good idea before I dedicate precious days off to making a pile of necklaces and a website.

@MsAl. I do this project every year for my science classes. Sometimes as small as a necklace, sometimes as big as a football field. The breakdowns I gave you are the major divisions of geologic time. Each of them are subdivided as well. Heres my suggestion.

Red - formatiom of planet to creation of crust and oceans. (13.2 - 9.0 billio yrs ago)

Blue-green for beginning of life
One white bead at end of this period for snowball earth (2500 milliom to 630 million or 2.5 billion to 0.63 billion)

Blue - Life predominantly in oceans (end this section in black as life dominated in swamps and this is where we get all our oil and gas) - 360 million to 630 million with the black beads going from 360 million to 240 million)

Green - age of dinosaurs. 240 million to 63 million

Brown - age of mammals and birds ( end this on in a pink the rise of humankind 63 million to human 2 to 3 million years ago.).

Heres a technical site has more information than you'll ever need.

[palaeos.com].

Palaeous

If you wanted to go super-cool, you can get stone/ fossil beads with known ages - start with a meteorite fragment (4.5 billion), stromatolite bead for the Precambrian, mini ammonite for the Permian, little mosasaur tooth for the Cretaceous etc.

Sounds expensive. I did try to find cool earthy stone looking beads but they arent available in the tiny sizes. Also beads are quite expensive. I think if I started selling some I might find some and change my math to make it work. I would have to charge alot more to pay myself minimum wage though is the thing.

The big rock and gem shows at Tucson and Denver. All the rock, mineral, fossil and semi-precious stone wholesalers are there, and I mean everyone from around the world, especially at the Tucson one. Make up a bunch of samples, go around and talk to people, see if they'd be interested and at what sort of price point.

Not going to Denver, but I have been thinking of places to bring them. I was thinking about sending some out to sciency gift shops or podcasters trying to get the word out to someone who might sell them or get the word out.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:270152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.