Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Dan Rather on Twitter: "1/3 The young men trying to intimidate Native American veteran Nathan Phillips rightly outrage. But who taught them the chants, fostered the intolerance, stirred up racial division for political gain? Adults and political leaders hold the greatest responsibility for our times."

Teenagers were always dumbshits (of course, including me), but what's different now is that they're not just coming up with their own brand of nastiness -- they're echoing what they hear from their parents and politicians!

jerry99 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Trump has opened the door on just what kind of country we are. We were founded on hypocrisy, and that hypocrisy has been prevalent throughout our history.

Disagree. This is not business as usual -- Trump has dragged us all down to a level of evil not seen before in this country!

@jerry99 And you would be wrong. When have we not been a racist country? We like to put up a front, but if you have traveled around this country enough, it is and has always been there. trump just gave them permission to be more public about it.

@Sticks48 I agree and Trump has dragged it out from under the cover, removed the false facade and brought it to the forefront.

@Sticks48 There's always been a hateful faction of racists, homophobes, misogynists, etc. (mostlly Repub) but we fought a war to end slavery and 100 years later passed the Civil Rights Act, along with lots of other legislative victories along the way. This is the first time our government has led the charge against all minorities except old white men.

@jerry99 I don't know if you have been in Colorado all your life, but I have lived in both Denver and the Springs. The only place whiter is Wyoming. Not much racism when everyone is white. Passing laws don't mean a thing if not enforced. How many black people were lynched after the civil war, well into the middle of the 20th century? Where was the federal govt. then? Civil rights laws are great, but why does our justice system favor white people over people of color. How many times have we seen innocent or unarmed black men shot by police and the police get off Scott free. How many unarmed white men do we see getting shot by cops. I don't think you are paying attention. You certainly don't seem to know the history of this country. I won't even get into how we have treated native Americans, because l am getting tired of typing.

@LimitedLight I am really really talking about Black people. While hispanic people get treated poorly in some places, overall they don't even come close to being treated as poorly as Black folks. Having lived in heavily populated Hispanic towns and areas, and by and large, they treat Black people poorly too. When I was in the Dakotas, the white people there treated Native Americans like people in the South treat Black people. I have come to the conclusion, way too many human beings are racist to some degree, and it is not going to change anytime soon.

@Sticks48 I really don't think I need to establish my geopolitical credentials to have a valid statement about what's going on, but for the record, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and Cleveland, OH and lived for 20-something years in Washington, DC. And I am intensely aware of the injustices that have been done to nearly all minorities (and one majority: women). It's good that you're concerned about racist incidents, police abuse, and unfair treatment of minorities, but I invite you to look at the actual data -- things have gotten better in spite of all the continuing injustices. I refer you to Steven Pinker's "enlightenment Now" for factual information.

@jerry99 I don't need to read a report. I just observe life. Where people live or have spent time in their life makes all the difference in the world. If you don't know that, you don't know much.

Theres also teh camps for the chinese and the drug laws intriduced to demonise the mexican community ...100 years to bring in civil rights is not a bragging point

I really don't get why everyone is so surprised considering americas history

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:270209
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.