Agnostic.com

5 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How do they know that's the oldest living Greenland shark?

BD66 Level 8 Jan 21, 2019

I was wondering how they would measure its age. Interesting article.

I agree. Fascinating.

Amazing information. There are lots of non-human species that out live us but all are game when it comes to food for us. Some species of Rockfish live to 100 or more. Some aquariums have put them on a do not eat listing but I still see them on some menus. A NPR report talked of fisherpeople going for the biggest fish which actually helps to reduce the species. Farmers often save the largest plants for seeds for the next crop but with fishing it is just the opposite so usually it is the smallest that reproduce and those genes get transferred. With Rockfish and other long-life species the reproducing age doesn't come until the animals are older and, too often are caught before they can reproduce.

One more piece of information as to why we need to become vegetarian/vegan.

Maybe some surviving Greenland Sharks will live to see the top predator go extinct.

Until they find something older.

It is fascinating though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:270662
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.