Agnostic.com

21 8

Billy Graham, dead today at 99. Estimated net worth: $25 million
His son, Franklin Graham: average salary of close to $900,000 a year.
And the Bible says,”Those who have been blessed with wealth must give generously with the poor” Matthew 25:31 “and avoid greed” Luke 12:13

So, you think the Graham family cherry picks what they preach? Makes me sick.

Jesusluvsu 6 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hypocrites and charlatans.
That he is being lauded is disgusting.

My first thought was, THANK GOD!! LOL

You mean thank dog. I saw the notice and felt like for once he actually brought me joy. Terrible, the ways some of these people move others.

@JackPedigo yes dog.

ALL religious people cherry pick what they preach and choose to believe.

The vast gulf between the way that religious leaders lead their lives and the way that Jesus Christ is supposed to have lived his life is sickening. You have charlatans like Billy Graham sitting on vast wealth and the Pope and his bishops living in palaces ... only the brain washing of their followers prevents them being hounded out of office.

Some of the christian hypocrisy. It is all about the power and the money. Am sure he willed his fortune to the less fortunate.

sarcasm here? If so, I like your statement!

@PrairieMoon Yes, sarcasm. My way to deal with a lot of what is going on in the US.

I never liked him even when I was an evangelical. Never liked "sawdust trail" type evangelists / preachers. Although I must admit Billy was relatively benign compared to the most red-faced, bloviating examples of same. Or he was by the time he became famous anyway.

Also, ironically, he founded the magazine Christianity Today which for years was representative of the relatively liberal wing of evangelicalism. How times hath changed.

Billy is a paragon of virtue compared to his son Franklin, who is one of the more craven right-wing nutters and a very prominent liar for Jesus. So mostly I regard Billy making it to age 99 as a bad sign for how long we'll have to put up with Franklin.

Billy Graham was just con a man who believed in his own con. The same applies to Franklin Graham and ALL religious con artists. IMHO

This is one of the times when I wish hell was real. If anyone deserves to burn for eternity, it's Billy Graham. Holding a spot for dear ole Franklin.

Racist. bigot

The first thing that came to mind was the old quote "Dead? I didn't even know he was still alive."

Depends on how much people have benefited from their donations.

All religions pick and choose what they will follow as it fits with their life. Even Mother Theresa wasn't as angelic as she appeared. Everyone could have their needs met and we could all live in peace without the likes of greedy religious hypocrites like this man and his family.

Avarice, in one way or another, is almost a universal disease. We humans are not as cognitively developed as many of us want to believe.

They say only the good die young.

I think every christian I met cherry-picks, this is both bad and good. The moderates tend to stick with the better stuff, although their reasons are still equally ridiculous as the overzealous type. At least theres not that many people stoning people to death or killing their children for being disobedient, just like the 'good book' tells them to.

Billy Graham was an honorable man. Franklin is not.

He was a con man and so is his son

Isn't religion and organization made of con men?

His compound is a few miles away from me.

For the life of a roach....but as soon as I read he had passed this song got in my head.

Making money out of a false god, says it all

Focusing on this guy and money is not the real issue here.

All religions are about money. All of them.

They all want your hand on your heart, while your head's up your arse, and their hand is in your pocket.

As I said in my own post on this, it's his, and others like him, influence on evangelicalism, political evangelicalism, the corruption of American conservatism by religious reactionary conservatives, and you can draw a line right up to Trumpism.

When the history is fully written about him, it won't be the money issue that sticks. That's a side issue. It's the corruption by Christian reactionaries, like him, of politics and governance.

That was my point in my post on this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.