Agnostic.com

9 2

Does anybody else have a problem with thinking while speaking?

So, I recently took an IELTS exam as a part of my application process for a Ph.D. scholarship and got the following scores (out of 9):
Writing: 9, Listening: 9, Reading: 9, Speaking: 8

During my preparation for the exam, I noticed a problem in my speech which proved to cost me 1 point. I have a problem with thinking of things to say while speaking, particularly in cases where I know very little about the topic in question (one of the questions was about a mathematical skill I learned in primary school). Does anybody else have the same problem? Any suggestions as to how to improvise in real-time when you don't have the slightest clue about what is being asked from you?

I would have to take part in another IELTS exam as I need to get a score higher than 8.5 in each segment. Anybody think they can practice speaking English with me 20 minutes per week? I have a couple of British and European friends with whom I regularly speak, but I think I need some perspective from American speakers.

Darius77 6 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Learn to be a politician and avoid an answer while providing unlimited volume of words. Then you may run for office.

Strangely enough, your message prompted me to download an article on evasive speech tactics used by politicians to "talk" about things. It's helping me a lot!

@Darius77 Its a shame we need these things but good luck with it.

I struggle with this while I am put on the spot. Getting a bit nervous seriously throws me off my thinking game. I tend to come up with the best responses a few minutes too late. Sorry, I don't have any tips for you but just wanted to comment and commiserate.

"Any suggestions as to how to improvise in real-time when you don't have the slightest clue about what is being asked from you?"

yes. find out what is being asked of you. you can do this by speaking. ASK!

if you are making a speech and not expecting an answer, make the question part of the speech.

for example:

"when you ask me to speak about 'people's relationship with their parents' are you speaking about young children or adult offspring? if you mean children, then bla bla bla bla. [you can drill down from there too if there are two paths.] on the other hand, if you mean adult offspring, bla bla bla [and likewise you can drill down]."

if you're stuck because you have not thought about that topic before, make the confession of that part of your speech.

"i confess i have not given this topic a lot of thought. i wonder what i would do if...."

adapt!

g

That's actually a wonderful piece of advice. Thank you!

@Darius77 you are very welcome.

g

In a way, you are buying mental time? By asking the question, it gives your mind a moment to relax. "I wonder what I do....." subliminal? You dour mind does wonder/ wander & relaxes, then the words come?

One of the most common and unfortunate problems people have while speaking, particularly in front of others/audiences, is talking too fast. Another is the insertion of filler words and noises. It takes considerable practice to get both of these under control, but once you do, your thinking will keep pace with your mouth.

From what I have read so far, you have no other problem than not being able to come up with a rapid response, which happens in any language. I have a drawn out "Weeelllll...." that I use a lot and in French " Dis donc...;" is used all the time. it means "So, well, ummm....." and then you get on to it.
That IS a natural speech pattern. May be we need to give you some phrases ?

Tilia Level 7 Jan 23, 2019

You see, I have the same problem in my native language. I can't just make shit up out of nowhere when discussing things I haven't already thought about. Like, for instance, I've seen people talking instantly about silly, abstract questions like "how have colors impacted your life?". I don't know how to answer such questions in real-time, because I can't just go on a ramble about it. It has to be cohesive, and there are only so many times I can resort to fillers to collect my thoughts. After a while, it'll start to sound hacky, which is the last thing I wanna do.

Wait! Does this explain Cheeto? No, he can do neither properly....carry on!

If it was easy it would not be part of the exam, but remember you think best when you are relaxed. So the important things are to have a few fillers memorized, that may have little to do with any of the questions you may be asked, things like asking for repeats or just saying honest things like "I find speaking the hardest," which you can drop in when needed, the point being that you will not use them in all probability but just knowing they are there will help you to relax.

My problem is speaking while thinking!

That's what the word um is for. 🙂

I think and speak at the same time.

If someone asks me a question that I don't know how to answer right away, I'll ask them to repeat themselves. I'll be thinking of my answer while I ask them to repeat themselves and while they're repeating their question.

I mainly do this to give myself time to gather my words correctly so they are understood and my point comes across clearly.

Unfortunately, asking for clarification or pauses would result in negative points, and there are only so many times you can use such phrases as "well, that's an interesting question..." or "let me see if I can think of anything to say about this", etc. The thing is, I have the same problem in my native language. My brain is not very good when it comes to quick association.

@Darius77 Negative points?

@Darius77 You only asked "Does anybody else have a problem with thinking while speaking?"

You weren't clear if you meant it during an exam or in general.

I'd take off points from you too for not being clear with your question!?

@SleeplessInTexas Yes, I got an 8 out of 9 in the IELTS speaking exam. I've written about it in the OP.

@SleeplessInTexas You're one lazy reader!

@Darius77 Well, I'm not the one who got docked a point. So, yeah. Ooookay!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:271978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.